Blood Brothers
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Brothers

joseywales
    Guest Free Member

Blood Brothers

I need to confirm something a Viet vet just told us today. That the term blood brothers came from a practice in Nam where Marines would take a leech off a buddy and eat it, in order to form bonds and to share with each other, or something, he went on and on about it and I thought he was kidding around, but he didnt seem to be joking at all and now i wonder if theres any truth to it at all, maybe some Viet vets know

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was pound cake, (kidding).

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Some of my buddies liked to just let the leeches slither down their throat. Our Gunny used to bite their head off, and suck the blood out. He said their skin got stuck in his teeth. Me, I liked the really fat ones. Put in your mouth and pop em with your teeth, then spit the skin out. Any way you did it. It was finger lickin good. Any way that's how we did it in the 3/26. I don't know how the 3/5 or the 2/4 did it. But they always had plenty of beer to wash it down with.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    cant tell if your just kidding or not. Is it true? something about nutrients for the blood, too

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    we in 1/7 used to bit the heads off then sqeez the blood and inerds into our bros mouth..iff he held it down he was your blood brother...if he up chucked he was just a mother *****

We used to make them into soup and wash it down with beer in the 3/5. The trick was to only use fresh ones that had just eaten.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    We used to make them into soup and wash it down with beer in the 3/5. The trick was to only use fresh ones that had just eaten.
    Russ, the fresh ones was like eating green apples. The trick was pulling them off. And letting them sit for about an hour. By then the blood turns black looking and forms little clots. That's what real Marines liked. We washed them down with Diesel.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    i hope you guys are just joking. (?)

I had my share of leeches, what we Nam grunts considered an occupational norm, just as mosquitoes and malaria, heat, humidity, snakes, monsoon rains, gook sores and heat rash. These and many more less than wonderful exposures to the environment and climate that grunts endured, along with constant firefights and booby traps and daily casualties, gave us all a rather morbid sense of humor. The truth was even more strange and unbelievable than any inflated stories/jokes, like this one, that you can imagine. Just my opinion....
    Semper Fi, Scott

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    the leeches didnt like me for some un known reason...i could put one on my arm..it would feel around a little the ball up and roll off....during the monsoons up in the quea son mountains they would drop out of the trees and lach on to the grunts necks...poor me never got the thrill of bein sucked on by a leech...would hit um with the ever so famous bug juce...they would let go fast...that stuff would blister you

Quote Originally Posted by DHaskins8 View Post
    i hope you guys are just joking. (?)
    Kid, it's a developed taste. But when you're as hungry as we were all the time you learn to eat anything, even that which will eat you.

Montana, I wish I had your untasteful hide. Whenever someone asks did we have leaches I just pull up my shirt and let them see my back. I still carry the scars, that and from those packs that used to rub the skin off to the bone.

Mongoose, we were always so hungry we didn't have time to wait an hour for them to ripen, we just through them in the stew (soup) pot. We also added bamboo shouts for more flavor and something to chew on. Leaches for those that don't know, have the texture of oysters.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Kid, it's a developed taste. But when you're as hungry as we were all the time you learn to eat anything, even that which will eat you.

Montana, I wish I had your untasteful hide. Whenever someone asks did we have leaches I just pull up my shirt and let them see my back. I still carry the scars, that and from those packs that used to rub the skin off to the bone.

Mongoose, we were always so hungry we didn't have time to wait an hour for them to ripen, we just through them in the stew (soup) pot. We also added bamboo shouts for more flavor and something to chew on. Leaches for those that don't know, have the texture of oysters.
    Russ, I'll bet they would have been better with a little tobasco instead of the gun powder we sprinkled on them for taste.

When I was a Drill Instructor I would show up for work in the morning, go to the Duty Hut and shave with a blow torch just to get into the mood for the dailey training schedule.

I was'nt over there long enough to enjoy all that good protein.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member

Russ, is that why we used to say, Igot your bask covered?

Thread Information