Redwood name "Chesty" Puller & WWII Memorial Grove
Create Post

Redwood name "Chesty" Puller & WWII Memorial Grove

Hello. My first time on the forum. Stumbled on the forums searching for history on a "Charlie Company" which it looks like our son will be placed in.

This post is a two-part one.

Doubtfully I'd have been able to enlist due to my knee. but either way, my big regret in life was never enlisting. Over the years, the Marine whom I learned the most about happened to be Gen. Lewis B. Puller / aka Chesty Puller.

Knowing that one coast redwood in a special grove had no name assigned to it, why not call it "Chesty Puller". It's also said by some to be the most impressive looking in the grove even though it's not the largest by volume.

This link goes to a longer description:

mdvaden.com/redwood_chesty_puller.shtml

Next, and also mentioned on the page ... Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park has a memorial grove dedicated to men & women of the Armed Services of WWII. It may be the largest memorial grove in all the redwood parks. I learned of it a couple of years ago, after asking why so few grove signs exist along the road through the midst of the park. The reason being that the grove is gigantic and meets the road. The grove is half of the park.

So if you ever pass through that park which borders the east side of Crescent City, CA, maybe make note of the memorial grove and sign on the north side of Howland Hill Road.

Below, is a photo of the Coast Redwood referred to as "Chesty Puller". The forum limit is 400 x 375. You can see my brother Michael next to it.

And, my thanks to all the US Marines who have served and do serve. Godspeed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Redwood_Chesty_Puller_400.jpg‎
Views:	307
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	9149  

If you will check and read this site's rules, you will see that a full profile is required. Please comply with our rules and complete a profile if you want answers. We need to know exactly who we are talking with.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    If you will check and read this site's rules, you will see that a full profile is required. Please comply with our rules and complete a profile if you want answers. We need to know exactly who we are talking with.
    If you mean this page of rules and etiquette ...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/vi...forumrules.htm

... I got the impression that the profile fields may be optional. Anyway, enough are filled for you to know now.

Don't be supprised when the mod shows up and extracts this thread and maybe even you. Don't say you were not warned.

Thread Information