image vs reality
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question image vs reality

Am I the only one who thinks that the overemphasis on "looking" like a Marine is a complete perversion of what it means to be a warrior? I say this because I joined four years ago to be a warrior. Coming from Los Angeles I didn't know much about the military, and I had no idea that I would be spending most of my time picking up trash and trying to convince myself that boot camp and anual rifle quals validate my paycheck. People in my MOS should not be called warriors. Not only CAN our entire job be done by civilians, but most of the important work that is sent to us IS done by contractors. It breaks my heart to go home on leave and to be proudly introduced to people that my loved ones know as a "Marine," when I know that what I do will never live up to their preconceived expectations of what a Marine is.

I think it's sad that most of you who read this will probably immediately label me as a turd. You're entitled to your opinions but I have tried my hardest at everything I do during my enlistment. I run a 300 on both PFT and CFT, shoot expert at the range, consistently read and study to improve my cognitive ability, and even as a meritorious CPL you can find me on my hands and knees scrubbing right next to my lances. I've done everything I can to make myself as close to what my family expects from one of the "few and "proud." I am a rifle coach, brig chaser, combat lifesaver, and every other possible qual that a pog can have to do something more "greenside." I even went through MARSOC A&S and passed, although I wasn't selected to go to ITC.

I don't mean to insult any of you guys who truly think that every Marine is a rifleman, but I for one cannot keep lying to friends, family, and myself by allowing them to believe that. At some point you have to wake up and realize that the PX workers make about the same bottom line contribution to the cause that many of us do, the only difference being the style of their uniform and the fact that they don't have to do field day.

Despite all of this I continue to do my job and follow orders, I just think that the image we portray to the public needs to be adjusted so respect can be given where it is due, and not inflated where it is unwarranted.

I would like to know how Marines from every demographic ("motards" "turds" "sncos" "pogs" "grunts") feel about this topic, just please keep it intelligent and leave the recruiting slogans at the door.

Mad respect to those of you who know you deserve it, you live a rough life.

Your over thinking this way to much. We all have our roles to play in the Marine Corps, not all of us can be those gun slinging self proclaim bad asses we call grunts who think they are better then everyone else. The rest of us are support, because in all of everything. No one can do everything by them selves.

I wouldn't mind it if we were more upfront with the difference between the gunslingers and support. Most of the country, and even most of the Marine Corps, are either in ignorance or denial of just how much more a gunslinger has to sacrifice.

I personally dont fu-cking care, people that are not in the Corps, or not in any active military branch, arent really on the basis to know how things really work. There is no reason for you to care, so why? You dont have to make the Marine Corps define who you are. If you want it to, then why not try going for that sweet adorable little gun slingers that every one pictures when they hear Marines?

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    There is no reason for you to care, so why?
    Honor and pride, and not the kind that you get from asking the barber for a high and tight.

If its not to big a problem and if you want more answers to your questions please read the site rules and fill out your profile. I do not think it takes a "Gunslinger", to comply with the site rules.

PM sending

1st off, can you get back to A&S and try again? If yes, Do it. If no. . . .

You could try for EOD or Recon.

You could go to the Army. They dont offer 18xray contracts to prior service(makes no sense, I know), but you could go in as a CAV scout or 11B and try to get to selection from there. Rangers also have small recon element that are usually guys w 6-8 years @ a Ranger BN.

Also, where are you? .

One of my shooting buddies is a former 18x guy and work at T1G now in memphis. He said NG SF (19th and 20th group) get deployed as much as the active groups. 19th group has a company upstate in Roanoke NC.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    turok reminds of of another jackasss who posted last week----discontented....Sgt Leprechaun deleted it after reading 2 sentences

Sounds like you need to Lat-move. I felt pretty much the same exact way....like I wasn't in the military at all. So the day I picked up Sgt, in 2006, I went to a selection board for a different MOS (used to be a mechanic). Since then my deployments have been more fulfilling, and I've felt I have contributed more to the 'war effort' than in the past. If you spend enough time in the military you will simply become numb to how messed up everything is....people don't even give an honest effort to justify their existence anymore. Their concerns are centered on their specific shops, and the daily routine they've gotten themselves into....if you come out of the field, whether training on LeJeune, or patrolling in Sangin District, and have to fight with people to get a new ID card, or get an SRB audit, because they need their Sunday off and only work a few hours a day. There are so many people here on Camp LNK that simply don't produce more value than the money that is spent feeding, air conditioning, and paying them.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    I dont think you people are reading the OP very well. He is a whiner, pure and simple. Ashamed of his job in the Corps. Then put in for a discharge.

Yes I can go back to A&S, I considered going back, as well as recon, lat moves, and Army SF. I didn't know that prior service couldn't do 18x, that was one of the options I was looking at if college doesn't work out for me. I am still considering national guard sf, and coincidentally my current girlfriend is a ng recruiter ( pure coincidence as hard as that may to believe, I still haven't even met the guy.)

I personally have decided that the Marine Corps is not for me, it's just far too political.

My hat still goes off to the man in the sand and the warrior spending 11/12 months a year away from his family in training and/or in theater.
    Again I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, but if you're going to reply, please keep it relevant and intelligent. I was exposed to the warrior culture of the usmc, the one that I naively thought I was originally joining, while I was at a&s. It's just impossible to leave something like that without having a very different view of the conventional military.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Sounds to me like old turok aint gonna be happy anywhere, less he gets his own way and doesnt have to lower himself to pick up trash. Needs to be a three star general, for starters, or maybe just settle for Sgt Major

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    people don't even give an honest effort to justify their existence anymore. Their concerns are centered on their specific shops, and the daily routine they've gotten themselves into....if you come out of the field, whether training on LeJeune, or patrolling in Sangin District, and have to fight with people to get a new ID card, or get an SRB audit, because they need their Sunday off and only work a few hours a day. There are so many people here on Camp LNK that simply don't produce more value than the money that is spent feeding, air conditioning, and paying them.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Sounds to me like old turok aint gonna be happy anywhere, less he gets his own way and doesnt have to lower himself to pick up trash. Needs to be a three star general, for starters, or maybe just settle for Sgt Major
    I've got no problem picking up trash, I've done it for a while now and still do it better than your average gi joe, I just don't feel I should be thanked for my service for it.

I'm not here to argue, please refrain from the usual sarcasm and snide insults. I posted this to know if there is another side to this that I may not be seeing. I agree that everyone has a part to play, and somebody still has to turn the wrenches and manage the paychecks, however, can't these jobs be done by civilians? Even those that are forward deployed? Should someone that spends their entire enlistment ordering parts and picking up paperwork receive military honors and allowances? My opinion is no, but like I said I want to know if there's another side to this.

Thread Information