Okinawa, Japan - Camp Foster - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's really hard to tell with a place like Okinawa. The geology by itself makes for interesting finds, but add a battle like there was in 1945 and things can really get unusual.

I did a little memory refreshing over the past couple of days using references and good old Google Earth. At Naha, I was reminded that the area where my barracks were (and actually, still are), was where some of the worst fighting on Oroku Peninsula took place.

Obviously when the barracks area was constructed, the area was smoothed out and generally cleaned up, but not flattened to sea level. The barracks area is hilly and right where the fights for Hills 57 and 62 took place. I can clearly recall having to walk up and down a steep flight of concrete stairs to get to the street from the front hatch of the barracks. The stairs are still there, but Google Earth doesn't visually show the changes in elevation well (no street level views there).

I imagine, if one were allowed to bring in a backhoe and do some digging, we could find all manner of old caves and fighting positions that had been filled up and smoothed over. There are a couple of the old reinforced concrete artillery positions still there on top of hills within easy rifle shot of my barracks.

It might also be noted that the area where Camp Foster is was not part of the heavily contested area of Okinawa. Yes, the Japanese had small units posted all over for harassment purposes, but the really ugly, serious fighting didn't start until a klick or two south of where MCAS Futenma is now. Exception: The Motobu Peninsula, of which I believe Ray Merrell would be the expert on operations there.

Based on what I learned in 1974-75, most of the caves north of Futenma were primarily used as shelters by civilians, with some exceptions, of course.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    What are the map coordinates of Camp Foster?

On Google Earth this will put you on the base:

26 degrees, 18 minutes, 00 seconds North

127 degrees, 45 minutes, 00 seconds East

You can't miss MCAS Futenma south of it and Kadena AB north-northeast.

Marines go back in there all the time, same thing for the area behind Brks 472 and 473. I never done it but wanted to . I had friends that would go get drunk back there.

I uploaded a couple more pages of pictures from Japanese
    Photo Album found in Barracks, on my Pictures and Albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Devillpupp View Post
    I'm currently stationed on Camp Foster in Okinawa. the other day I found caves behind that chow hall that a friend had told me about. personally I love to explore, and this is the chance of a lifetime.
    But before I go walking into the home of strange Japanese creatures, I am wondering if any of you gentlemen have already gone in. they are located behind the chow hall, right next to the stream. i'm making arrangements with MCCS to go on a "Tunnel Rat" tour and will ask them as well.

*I will not be doing anything until I have sufficient PPE and know what I may find as far as wildlife
    Rah from futenma cpl

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Merrell View Post
    I uploaded a couple more pages of pictures from Japanese
    Photo Album found in Barracks, on my Pictures and Albums.
    Hope you don't mind me posting one up real quick:

Thank you for posting jp2usmc!

Gung Ho,

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Merrell View Post
    Thank you for posting jp2usmc!

Gung Ho,

Ray
    ^^

I left Oki earlier this year, and for the entire time I was there, you "couldn't" go into any of the caves or tunnels unless there was something specifically permitting you to do so. I use the word couldn't lightly because of course, people would still do it, and by that I mean they would destroy the fences or whatever other measures were used to close the caves or tunnels. Perhaps I just took the TL;DR route with this thread, but I don't think there was a single person advising him to stay the hell away? I say that because in most cases it's illegal. Good luck though I guess...

Well, I came close with my post below.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    I was at Camp Hansen, and the rear fence backed up to a nice stretch of hills that I always wanted to poke around on. We were always told that it was private land and to kindly keep our ...selves off of it.

I was in Camp Sukruan in 60 & 61. "B" Company, 9thMTBN. I was in the last building going up the hill on the left. You could go on up the hill to fatuma. There was tombs behind the barricks. If you go in them be very watchful of Habu Snakes.

Thread Information