Girlfriend's/Fiances before and after boot camp?
Create Post

Girlfriend's/Fiances before and after boot camp?

So I know this might be a common thread, but searching really did not do all that much for me. I have been with my girl for 2 years now. I am only 19, so I know I am not ready for marriage, nor am I mature enough. And I do not plan on getting married.

But how well will a relationship hold out before and after boot camp trying to keep a girlfriend?

My MOS school will be in Pensacola FL, I mean come on. It might be hard to keep a girlfriend and live in that honey hole.

But just wondering if any fresh/current Marines have handled this situation or has had anything similar to it.

Thank you Marines, for all you do. I am just a little concerned with that. But my main concern is boot camp Monday. That is my main focus.

Sometimes it works out. My relationship was solid until the middle of 2nd phase and her manager beat guts because he was so caring and supportive. Didnt have a relationship for a while and was cheated on halfway on my deployment. I have bad luck but you want the truth right. The first 2 yrs will be the ultimate test of a strong relationship and this is to include a deployment. Good luck man. Hopefully you have yourself a keeper. And go earn that title

Thanks Lance Corporal. I will test our time of two years and see how things handle. But I mean come on Pensacola. Talk about temptation, not too sure I can be trusted there myself. But I have never cheated. Boot is gonna be fun

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie22 View Post
    Sometimes it works out. My relationship was solid until the middle of 2nd phase and her manager beat guts because he was so caring and supportive. Didnt have a relationship for a while and was cheated on halfway on my deployment. I have bad luck but you want the truth right. The first 2 yrs will be the ultimate test of a strong relationship and this is to include a deployment. Good luck man. Hopefully you have yourself a keeper. And go earn that title
    Just curious. What does "beat guts" mean? Never heard this expression.

MSgt, It is another term for sexual intercourse. Its less vulgar than dropping the F bomb.

Credits
    Savings
    Fair winds to you on completing Boot
    As stated that is your primary mission right now

If your relationship with the young lady is strong for both of you, it will last

Speaking from experience,I was fortunate to find a keeper several PCS's
    Deployment one separation of a year

Still married to her

Good luck to you on all counts
    Stay motivated

Quote Originally Posted by gehrij View Post
    Fair winds to you on completing Boot
    As stated that is your primary mission right now

If your relationship with the young lady is strong for both of you, it will last

Speaking from experience,I was fortunate to find a keeper several PCS's
    Deployment one separation of a year

Still married to her

Good luck to you on all counts
    Stay motivated
    Did you get Married after all your training? Or did you just get married right after Boot camp. Thank you for your good luck SSgt, I take that serious. I appreciate it.

I chose to break up with my girl friend stating I was leaving and would not be back. It was the biggest mistake of my life, If I had to do it all over again I would have married her and moved her from state to state with me. She was one of a kind and sweet. I missed a great opportunity.

First of all, good luck with boot camp. It will definately change your life forever, and is not easy. Stay focused on the goal and never give up. As far as the relationship goes, my best advice since you are leaving monday is spend as much time with her as you can. Once you step on the yellow footprints you need to concetrate on the task at hand. That goes for your school training as well. Dont be misguided, you still need to make every effort you can to contact and communicate with your loved ones. Like many of my superiors always told us and i found this to be true, if it is meant to be it will work out and she will be waiting for you once you return home. But your main focus for now is your military training. When you hit the fleet life will slow down a little and you can spend more time together, and hopefully forever. Remember that it is just as hard on her as it is you. Every letter that is written, and every phone call should not be taken for granted. Be sure to tell her how much she means to you and all that love stuff to keep things strong. Stay motivated and positive and above all good luck.

The separations are tough on a relationship. Sometimes, they can make it stronger and sometimes, tear it apart. Many times you take your relationship for granted until you're separated and then you realize what you have and how much you miss it.

In my case, I am one of the statistics (divorced). Halfway through my first 12 month assignment to Okinawa (did it twice), my ex-wife hooked up with Jody and swooped with him when I got back. Fortunately, we had not started our family yet so no kids were involved. Saw it happen to a lot of my friends but never thought it would happen to me. The divorce rate is higher amongst the sea services (USN & USMC) because to do our missions you must be forward deployed somewhere sometime. On the other hand, most of my friends who were married still are today so they found ways to make it work. I do firmly believe it takes a special individual to stay married to a Marine; most can't or won't do it.

Take it one step at a time...earn the title first.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LOL! You guys are worse than a bunch of women!

My advice - when you tell her goodbye right before you head to boot camp, mean it and don't look back. You are going to have waaaaaay too much temptation and you'll probably end up hurting her feelings anyway.

I had a boyfriend before I went in. While I was in boot camp, I didn't miss him like I thought I should. He was the one that got the "Dear John" letter. I was like a kid in a candy store starting at A School!

Thread Information