Questions about Marine Corps aviation
Create Post

Questions about Marine Corps aviation

Hello,Im planning on joining the Marines after college(currently a senior in HS).The reason why Im interested in joining the Marines,aside from common values and the honor,I've heard that the Marines are the only branch of the US military that offer guaranteed pilot slots for any officers that meet the qualifications.

Now,Im aware that there are many false rumors and allegations thrown out there,but is this true?Will the Corps actually offer a pilot slot to officers that meet the pre-requisites?

Also,I've heard that many of the Marines that become pilots are end up flying helos,and that spots for fixed-wing aircraft are ultra competitive(like much of this process).Is this also true(Im interested in becoming a fighter pilot)?

No profile, no answers.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Not a pilot, but your second sentence is true to the best of my knowledge. Those slots are HIGHLY competitive.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I'm not a pilot either but I am also looking to become one after college. Marines are the only ones that will guarantee you a flight slot. This is both great and bad because in order to get that slot they require you reach a higher PFT score as well as a higher ASTB score. I’ve read a lot on the subject and have come to the conclusion that the Marines make it possible for even those that aren’t top of the class to make it to jets. How is this you ask, from what I’ve read and through asking naval aviators, they say that it all comes down to the needs of the Corps. They don’t want all their brightest and toughest on jets and this is why they sometimes send those Marines to other pipelines, giving those that were a little beneath them a chance to come up. Don’t get me wrong, those Marines are still hot sh*t and you better be too if you want jets. [/FONT]

Thread Information