looking for bootcamp/AIT buddies
Create Post

Question looking for bootcamp/AIT buddies

maiden names - Patricia Myers, Chris Mueller, Tonya Burgess, Janice Cox, Penny Guitroz - graduated June 4, 1973 - Platoon 4A

Hello

Between boot camp and AIT are you allowed to come home for any period of time or do you just do the 16 + weeks straight with no come home time? Should I bring civilian close for my weekends off at AIT to boot camp or what??? Help...

Thanks

Indian Yellow Pages

boot/AIT

38 years ago - we went home after bootcamp - it seems like it was about 2 weeks in between boot and AIT. no civi's except those we arrived in! i would love to keep in touch with your enlistment if at all possible - I have missed the Corps! I didn't want to share the Corps with raising a family so I got out after my 4 years to get married and raise a family - if GOD had given a second life to me I would have done one for the Corps - Semper Fi !!!!

Credits
    Savings
    In 1970 we boarded a bus in South Carolina and went straight to North Carolina for AIT.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please forgive my ignorance .... Is AIT Advanced infantry training?

Credits
    Savings

Right Bulkyker

That is what I took it to mean or maybe it has changed to something else since the 70's.

Not to hijack your thread but, why would females go to AIT in the 70's? (really at all, it's an Army term, at least now)
    Do you mean MOS school? I thought women didn't start doing additional combat related training (MCT -Marine Combat Training) until the 80's? Correct me if I'm wrong, I really am not sure.

In 63 i went to camp geiger for I T R Infantry training regiment then MOS SCHOOL.

Bulkykeu,
    I think the reference changed around 1968, about the same time they started using the SS# for your service number, instead of a 7 digit USMC number. I was stationed at the 2nd Radio Batt. on Camp Geiger from 65-67, and it was always ITR, then.
    I went through ITR at Camp Pendleton in Oct., 64.

Sempidr

Last edited by sempidr; 08-24-11 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Senior moment

A Letter from a West Virginia FARM KID in the Marines (NOW AT San Diego MARINE CORPS RECRUIT TRAINING CENTER)

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water.

Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board.
    Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it.
    You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice

You should choose to me. Click on below link.

How to pass a drug test

Credits
    Savings

3531 Marine

Well I screwed up 3531 Marine is right with his statement. Well I got two out of the three letters right even though they were in the wrong order. It was ITR and it was Infantry Training Regiment - I guess that brain is half dead or maybe just upside down. Thanks 3531 Marine for setting the record straight for me.

I was Hollywood Marine (never issued sunglasses) in Platoon 3069 in 1972 and trained with the M-14, went directly to Infantry Training Regiment and trained with the M-60 Machinegun. In 1973 they had changed again to Infantry Training School. I requested Combat Duty in Viet Nam to get even for the friends who did not come back. My captain thaought I was Section-8 with a Wife and Son, So he sent me to Kaneohe Bay Hawaii. Three of my best friends requested Hawaii and ended up in Siagon, Go Figure ! I have had friends tell me when they rotatd home that even though you are told that you are fighting for God, Corps, and Country, when it comes right down to it your actually fighting for the Marines on your Left and on your Right. SEMPER FI.

Thread Information