Getting referrals.....
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting referrals.....

So how do y'all go about getting others to even step foot in your local RS or call your Recruiter? I've tried and many will say, "Oh **** that man or naw the military isnt for me."

I've had 2 bites with a possible that I gave my Recruiters name and number to but its hard to get people to come in.

Give me some tips!

Yeah samsies for me..

Do they actually have to ship to boot for it to count, or if they're in the DEP is that all I need? Also do they have to be at YOUR rs or is anyone good? I was buying fireworks last week and I saw a fat kid who looked old enough wearing a Marine lanyard, was going to track him down but lost him the crowd.

I really dont know and lol @ the trying to enlist the fat body......I wouldn't try enlisting someone with weigh issues since they'll have to lose the weight before they can even contract in.

Haha, weird this will come up. A Chef Warren Officer and Gunnery Sergeant was at our last pool busting our balls about getting referrals, mainly females being our only one is gone. I have one guy who cant pass the ASVAB for ****, another guy chose Navy because of his dad and another...well, you all get the point. I need one more for PFC, **** i might put up a billboard.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I need 1 more for PFC as well, the kid that I got a referral from has been bringing in more people than me and he only has 1 referral as well and I have nothing and he already was willing to join, so I got a referral from him just by being acquainted.

But it definitely isn't as easy as most people think, I'm hoping I catch another one who's already willing to join and just befriend him and get a referral that way, I think thats my best bet. But to just randomly convince someone who isn't even close to interested, I doubt it'll happen.

Still, my father told me getting PFC is bs anyways, I mean idk how to take that considering the emphasis they put on it, but he was a Marine and I take his word over any ones, especially since he is my father first.

Cheers

Well for me I could possible see E-5 my first enlistment if I came out of boot camp a PFC... it puts you like 6 months ahead, you're eligible for Lcpl after 9 months of TIG as a pfc

If you can get PFC before boot, try to get referrals after boot too, you can get lcpl after about 4 months of being in the Marine Corps if you can get 2 more after boot.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    Well for me I could possible see E-5 my first enlistment if I came out of boot camp a PFC... it puts you like 6 months ahead, you're eligible for Lcpl after 9 months of TIG as a pfc
    Ok do that then and let me know how it goes, people hear stories of people getting E-5 during their first enlistment and automatically think they can do it too. I'm not putting you down, just understand its still very unlikely, if not you'd hear everyone doing it. Still put your mind to it and go for it.

Whether I get PFC or not, my main goal is getting prepared for boot first and earning that Title I've wanted since I was 12 years old.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i'm also working on getting my 2nd referral. i've been talking to the recruiters about how they do it and they pretty much said all you have to do is get people in the door, and talk to people that dont really have plans after high school (or dont have very many currently), then just get their number and give it to your recruiter and they'll handle it from there.

from what i've seen, going to parties and stuff where kids like to fight and think they're all tough is a good place to start. i know the community college around where i live is also not a bad place. theres also just doing your own thing and talking to anyone you see wearing some Marine Corps swag

Quote Originally Posted by Nj St Of Mind View Post
    Ok do that then and let me know how it goes, people hear stories of people getting E-5 during their first enlistment and automatically think they can do it too. I'm not putting you down, just understand its still very unlikely, if not you'd hear everyone doing it. Still put your mind to it and go for it.

Whether I get PFC or not, my main goal is getting prepared for boot first and earning that Title I've wanted since I was 12 years old.
    I have a 5 year contract, in the intel community, 5-6 year ssgt's aren't unheard of in the 02 field. The cutting scores are typically pretty low.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im going into Combat Support and my recruiter had the same MOS. He got E-5 in 3 years. Me being physically fit and being a hardworker, I know I can do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    I have a 5 year contract, in the intel community, 5-6 year ssgt's aren't unheard of in the 02 field. The cutting scores are typically pretty low.
    I hear quite the opposite, (though I am not arguing with you id like to see Sgt SSgt before I have to maybe Re-Enlist) I have been speaking with an 0231 Marine and she says that it isnt as super easy as it used to be, she said you used to get promoted just for breathing. As long as you do all your MCI's your Pros and Cons are good and you stay up on your PT it should be attainable. If you turn into a $hitbird then i doubt youll make it to CPL.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    I hear quite the opposite, (though I am not arguing with you id like to see Sgt SSgt before I have to maybe Re-Enlist) I have been speaking with an 0231 Marine and she says that it isnt as super easy as it used to be, she said you used to get promoted just for breathing. As long as you do all your MCI's your Pros and Cons are good and you stay up on your PT it should be attainable. If you turn into a $hitbird then i doubt youll make it to CPL.
    Yes true as in all non 03 MOS's it seems, the Marine Corps is in drawdown mode as we speak. That being said cutting scores for 02's seems to still be pretty moderate compared to others that have taken a pretty bad hit. In 5 years from now the situation could change. I like to remain an optimist, it could come down to a matter of months for promotion before my 5 years is done, being 6 months or so ahead can't hurt.

E-3 to E-4 right now is 1638, and from what i understand that's relatively low, however E-4 to E-5 is like 1880

Soon2, I can't tell you how many times the SNCOIC has chewed me out about not getting referrals, but I'm a college grad. All of my friends are either moved away, unqualified, or uninterested in the military, especially the Marine Corps. That being said, I place my recruiter's card (with my name and number on the back) around stores, on mirrors in fitting rooms, in the pockets of pants. Basically, wherever I can think of that a person 18-29 years old would be found. Still haven't had any luck, but I'm trying.

Really? You guys get chewed out over referrals? Sounds like your RS isn't doing very well. Your job isn't to do the recruiter's work for them. It's an incentive, it shouldn't be required from you.

That being said our Sergeant Major as FinallyDEPed knows made sure to remind us in his speech that we should be looking for people to "bring into our world".

Thread Information