Age comparison 17 v 18
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Age comparison 17 v 18

Howdy Marines! I have a question that regards enlisting into the Marine Corps at the age of 17 compared to the age of 18. First off, I know that to even be eligable to even think about joining you will need your HS diploma. Now since you need your diploma, how are even able to enlist at 17? I know some people are 17 when they graduate but I have heard stories of people enlisting their senior year of Highschool but how? My close friend told me that you can enlist at 17 and then as soon as you get your diploma (graduate) they can ship you off to Recruit Training. He also told me that doing the 17 route would be the best now days due to back ups and I'd have to wait up to a year or maybe a year and a half if I wait until I'm 18. Can any Marine compare the two for me? Thanks Marines!!

Credits
    Savings
    GO and talk to a recruiter
    Sounds like delayed entry to me
    Other factors kick in under 18---one being parental consent

Back to original statement - go forth and find a recruiter in person

Now since you need your diploma, how are even able to enlist at 17? I know some people are 17 when they graduate but I have heard stories of people enlisting their senior year of Highschool but how? My close friend told me that you can enlist at 17 and then as soon as you get your diploma (graduate) they can ship you off to Recruit Training. He also told me that doing the 17 route would be the best now days due to back ups and I'd have to wait up to a year or maybe a year and a half if I wait until I'm 18.

You can join the Delayed Entry Program your Sr year in high school. You must be at least 17 and have parental consent also recruiters will keep tabs on your grades to make sure you will graduate. Your buddy is correct about waiting. If you DEP in your senior year then you mush ship in 365 days of you swearing in at meps. You will end up getting a sooner ship date right out of high school instead of sitting around with nothing to do for who knows how many more months. Like SSgt said talk to a recruiter

I enlisted at 17 before I started my senior year of high school. The basic's are when you enlist you become part of the delayed entry program and have to maintain physical and academic standards set forth by the Marine Corps. Once you graduate you'll be able to ship off to boot camp. You'll also need parental consent from your birth parents or legal guardians. Benefits to enlisting early are securing your ship date (instead of having to wait longer like the guy that enlist after high school), helps you secure the MOS that you want and you become more accustomed to the ways of the Marine Corps with weekly/monthly programs set up by your local recruiting station.

I was 17 when I joined. You will need the signature of your parent(s) or legal guardian. You will go into delayed entry program, and when you graduate, you can ship out. Yes, finish high school, get your diploma, and if you turn 18 in boot camp, don't tell anybody!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to all Marines who have replied to this thread

Thread Information