After boot camp?
Create Post

After boot camp?

My girlfriend and I have been dating for awhile now and we are worried that once I'm done with infantry training after boot camp we will no longer be able to see each other for very long periods of time, and it will turn into a long distance relationship. She will be graduating this year and plans on hitting college right out of high school. We both live in ND, quite a far distance from San Diego where I'll be at boot camp and training.

So my question is this, when Marines are done with their initial training where do they get stationed when no being deployed? Are they forced to live on one of the few bases we have along our coast lines? Or can they live off base as far away as North Dakota?

We both have agreed that we can deal with the deployments over seas but if I also have to live 2k miles away from her in between those deployments it will probably be a relationship breaker.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First, please read site rules and post a profile.

Second, send a PM to Sgt Leprechaun (a mod) and ask for this thread to be moved to "Ask a Marine."

No profile, no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeG View Post
    My girlfriend and I have been dating for awhile now and we are worried that once I'm done with infantry training after boot camp we will no longer be able to see each other for very long periods of time, and it will turn into a long distance relationship. She will be graduating this year and plans on hitting college right out of high school. We both live in ND, quite a far distance from San Diego where I'll be at boot camp and training.

So my question is this, when Marines are done with their initial training where do they get stationed when no being deployed? Are they forced to live on one of the few bases we have along our coast lines? Or can they live off base as far away as North Dakota?

We both have agreed that we can deal with the deployments over seas but if I also have to live 2k miles away from her in between those deployments it will probably be a relationship breaker.
    If your a single Marine you'll live on base and train/ do youre job everyday. if your married you would be able to draw BAH and get an apartment/house off base. and who said your going to be deployed? you might go on a MEU and maybe 1 trip the afghanistan, but its not like you deploy, come home for a couple days and deploy again lol.

but you could be stationed anywhere. 29 palms, camp pendleton, camp lejune, etc

You'll be at one of the bases. There's no duty stations in North Dakota, aside from I&I, which you won't be able to get for quite some time. If you're really serious about her, why can't she go to school near where you're stationed? Between deployments, you'll be training. It's not like you complete ITB and you're good to go forever...need sustainment training. Skills depreciate when they're not used.

Thread Information