Medical Waiver
Create Post

Thread: Medical Waiver

Post Medical Waiver

A lot of questions are involved in this one. I want to enlist in the Marine Corps but I have some hearing loss that would require a medical waiver. Now, if I were to get a waiver and pass the physical fitness taken upon enlistment, what MOS would I be able to take? Would Military Police and Riflemen be out of the question? I just really have some worries about this.

First familiarize yourself with our site rules, you can find them at the top of this section. I've moved your question to the proper forum.

Next, medical waivers for hearing are pretty well impossible to obtain. Once your hearing is gone, that's it, it's gone. If you cannot meet the military standard then there is NO waiver that will be granted, just that simple. And that goes for folks trying to come back in after discharge, too. Only the MEPS docs/audiologist will be able to tell you for sure about your hearing.

Hearing loss is one of the largest claims the VA deals with, and the military takes it very seriously. Hence, the 'no waiver' policy for hearing loss.

Unanswered

I can hear, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that I have some hearing loss that might require a waiver in just 1 of my ears, the other is fine. I know waivers are hard to come by but I have a few years to go, and my other question still remains unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    First familiarize yourself with our site rules, you can find them at the top of this section. I've moved your question to the proper forum.

Next, medical waivers for hearing are pretty well impossible to obtain. Once your hearing is gone, that's it, it's gone. If you cannot meet the military standard then there is NO waiver that will be granted, just that simple. And that goes for folks trying to come back in after discharge, too. Only the MEPS docs/audiologist will be able to tell you for sure about your hearing.

Hearing loss is one of the largest claims the VA deals with, and the military takes it very seriously. Hence, the 'no waiver' policy for hearing loss.
    If I may quote (Hail Leprechaunus!) ...

"Question answered.....thread closed".
    I'm a kidder....

Sigh. Again...only MEPS can make that determination. IF your loss is only minor then it won't be an issue. IF it's enough to require a waiver, then you won't get one.

Each service determines how much loss they will accept. The Air Guard refused to let me do most jobs because of my hearing loss. From what I've seen, the Marine Corps is not far from that approach. So, you can count out Infantry, MP, most Air Wing, etc. Plan on administrative or other work, IF accepted at all.

1 More Thing

Ok, just one more question, if i require a waiver then is this one of those try when the economy is better situations because more people are turning towards the military now due to job losses? I hear this is a factor in waivers being rejected by all branches of service, and is the no waiver policy for hearing loss Marine Corps only?

Nope. A hearing waiver is something that almost never gets granted because of the reasons I indicated, economy doesn't matter. AGAIN, though...only MEPS will be able to tell you for sure.

Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I will attempt to enlist when that time comes because this is a dream I've had for a while. I guess somethings you just have to approach head on, and keep a good mind set along the way. Hopefully I won't require a waiver or MEPS will recommend one for me if I require it. Once again thanks for your patience and understanding.
    -Nick

You nailed it. By all means keep us updated, I'll leave the thread open for you.

Thanks Once Again

No problem, if any details come up I'll be sure to keep you posted. Thanks!
    -Nick

Thread Information