What do grunts think about those who lat move to 03xx - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think that if that is what they want to do, good on 'em.

PC BS? Really? I don't think so. Then again, I've got a couple decades on you so perhaps I see things differently.

Hey, do what you want but YOU asked the question. If you aren't happy with the responses, don't blame US.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Sokol View Post
    What do grunts think about those who have lat moved to the 0311 MOS?

I've heard you get treated like you're a boot all over again, simple for the fact that you haven't gone through what THEY have gone through. I've been thinking very strongly of switching from 2311 to 0311, or possibly MSG. I'm almost embarrassed, oh wait... I AM embarrassed to tell civilians what I do in the Marine Corps.

So If I lat move to 0311 as a LANCE CORPORAL, how would it be for me? Any tips?
    I was a 2311. And I'm d*mn proud of it. Ammunition Techs are an important link between the Ammo, and the Marines who use it. Store, Issue, inspect, and repair explosives. It was a "Blast". Especially when we went on EOD runs to destroy Grade 3 Ammo. Ammo techs are in every company. In 0311 they are required to train right along side of the Grunts. I was an Ammo Tech for a 8 inch Battery on Okinawa. When not doing my job as an Ammo Tech, I worked in the Armory. 2311 is a great MOS.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    And I would venture to say that regardless of your MOS....you are just so damn happy and proud that you earned the title of Marine....

Fut...enough of that PC bullshiat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    And I would venture to say that regardless of your MOS....you are just so damn happy and proud that you earned the title of Marine....

Fut...enough of that PC bullshiat.....
    Exactly. When someone asks me what branch I was in, I proudly say USMC. When they ask what I did, I tell them I worked with and around High Explosives every day. They always came back with "But isn't that dangerous? To which I would reply. "Yeah maybe, but it was never boring."

Okay, from an officer's perspective, I must add, that I experienced a great deal of frustration when I received and NCO into my rifle platoon or company who had done a lat move to 03 or came in from a non-grunt field and was technically and tactically un-proficient in the skills that I expected from an 03 lance corporal or corporal. If you go into a grunt unit as an NCO and don't ramp up quickly, you can expect to be facing an admin reduction board.

That’s not to say that you aren’t proficient, but it is saying that if you are doing a lat move to another MOS, make sure that you are proficient in those skills that are expected of a Marine in that grade in that MOS. If you can’t write a patrol order, forgot what SMEAC stands for, then seriously reconsider making the move, or seriously hit the books.

If you come into a grunt unit you are expected to “know your stuff” – appropriate for your grade. There isn’t much patience waiting for a Marine to get up to speed for what they ought to know. That’s the issue with lat moves, regardless of what your old MOS is or your new MOS will be, make sure you’ve done your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Otay...u win.....

Don't be happy....I don't give a rats patootie!

HAhaha! I like that!

I think 03 Mike summed it up best, and Lands&Grooves worst (BTW I think there is more to Lands than what we see on the surface, and I enjoy the fact that he is usually ignored, maybe that is really assphed).

If you are going to make this move you gotta be on your game. Are they are going to send you to SOI? Maybe not, just OJT you?

I worked with a Sgt. at CQB school who was an MP, but reenlisted and was sent to FAST Company to OJT 03. He left FAST and went to the fleet and kicked some tail there too. He is/was very motivated and now is a senior enlisted Marine teaching at one of the schoolhouses for MARSOC.

Most grunts will think you are ca-razy for doing it, but if it's what you want and are willing to make the sacrifices and take the mental beatings -- then go for it.

You are going to be treated like a boot, get over it. When you earn respect you will be given it; grunts take care of their own.

Don't sit around and wonder, either crap or get off the pot.

Good luck.

Excell at your job regardless of what it is. It may seem unimportant to you, certainly less important than getting off work on hour 8 of your day, but to others it matters. This is true all the time, but I am specifically speaking of deployment. I was literally a civillian for nine days while in the field...three of those days were spent on patrol, in the green zone, in Sangin, where we took fire about twice a day (morning and after TBan lunch break). I engaged a sniper with a 240 (who almost shot me in the head, because I was being complacent trying to fix the shade shelter of our little bunker/loop hole) and was credited with a kill. Since I was a civilia, does that make me a murderer? I dunno, but I am sure glad I didn't catch that roundin the face because I can't imagine what fiasco would have occured trying to get my wife the SGLI money due to her in the event of my death, given Admin dropped the ball and say on my extension package for over three months. On another note, a friend who was with me had to get a Space A flight out of the field, to go back to Leatherneck and redo parts of his Warrant Officer package because files were misplaced/lost. So please, please, please, do your non-combat jobs as fervently as if it were a combat MOS.

I digress....

To the OP,
    My brother in law was a Motor-T driver for a reserve wing unit and Lat-moved into the 03 field and went active duty (3rd LAR). He was a 27 year old lance corporal when he did this. He quickly established himself and picked up Sgt in like three years, participating in many billets available to, and above, his rank along the way. Basically, if you are a good dude you will do well and people will notice.
    Good luck, man.

Oh, and being an 0311 is brutal right now...at least where I am at. If you want to be in combat, for whatever reason, or just simply feel you want a job that has a more direct effect on the war effort...you have a lot of options; RABN, Recon, Dog handler, EOD, fire support (not sure of the MOSs that do this), linguist, HET, LAR, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I think 03 Mike summed it up best, and Lands&Grooves worst (BTW I think there is more to Lands than what we see on the surface, and I enjoy the fact that he is usually ignored, maybe that is really assphed).

If you are going to make this move you gotta be on your game. Are they are going to send you to SOI? Maybe not, just OJT you?

I worked with a Sgt. at CQB school who was an MP, but reenlisted and was sent to FAST Company to OJT 03. He left FAST and went to the fleet and kicked some tail there too. He is/was very motivated and now is a senior enlisted Marine teaching at one of the schoolhouses for MARSOC.

Most grunts will think you are ca-razy for doing it, but if it's what you want and are willing to make the sacrifices and take the mental beatings -- then go for it.

You are going to be treated like a boot, get over it. When you earn respect you will be given it; grunts take care of their own.

Don't sit around and wonder, either crap or get off the pot.

Good luck.

Gee wook , I think your still butthurt from the rifle thread because I wouldnt tell you Im a CMT. I give hugs you know!

If you go back and actually read, I didnt actually addreass the OP, 1: asked a question trying better to understand the mindset in here 2:stated my guilty consience in my "job", want to actually have some pride in what I do. I guess thats foolish. Ive asked my seniors and other marines the same question the OP has. Just trying to understand.

And I'll be seeing your Mp turn FAST buddy very soon

Huh... I missed this originally, so I went back and looked...

Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    So what the hell do you guys think of the guys who re-up and stay 03?
    What do I think of someone who does this? I think, well good for him.

I've heard you get treated like you're a boot all over again, simple for the fact that you haven't gone through what THEY have gone through. I've been thinking very strongly of switching from 2311 to 0311, or possibly MSG. I'm almost embarrassed, oh wait... I AM embarrassed to tell civilians what I do in the Marine Corps.

You may be treated like a boot....
    Don't be embarrassed,just tell them the truth...
    I, still today, when asked what I did when I was active,tell them "I killed people"........

Hmm, can't answer this one. All the lat moves I knew were grunts lat moving into legal! Why? For all the PC stuff already posted!

Grunts dont think thet just kick ass OORAH

You’ll get a varied opinion from those in your company and platoon. As stated by others, you will get treated like a boot even if you’re a Cpl or Sgt. It’s just the way it is, guys do two or three deployments and never pick up E4 because of high cutting scores and or ‘other things’. We had some guys come from FAST company to our platoon and they took team leader and squad leader positions away from capable Marines just because they didn’t have the rank that FAST seems to give away. The guys don’t take kindly to this! I reserved my thoughts around those Marines and would help out the quiet ones and **** on the mouthy ones. I would teach them the nine line and all the other things the basic rifleman knows. They don’t teach you a lot in ITB and you have to be aware of that. Humility will get you a long way, this of course doesn’t mean you should take **** from any man; it just means know when and to whom you should run your suck. You will meet guys with degrees and highly articulate character and you will meet those that barely passed the ASVAB. When it comes down to it, you will regret your move at times because the suck, SUCKS! But 03’s are what the corps is known for and that is what I assume you want. KILL!!!

In the Nam we were always in need of replacements, and sometimes we actually got some. This one fng came to us from Subic Bay where he had been guarding the naval yard for 2+ years. He said he wanted to get into the action for his last year in the Corps.

He was a Cpl and was ****ed because he didn't get to lead a squad right away, why should he listen to a "junior" Cpl or a boot Lance just because they had been in the Nam longer. When he died two weeks later everyone said what a dumb **** he was for leaving Subic Bay. Any of us would have given anything to have been there. When the movie "Dead Man Walking" came out I could really relate to the title.

Thread Information