trying to fullfill my dream
Create Post

trying to fullfill my dream

I have always dreamed of becoming a United States Marine my entire life. Since I was 4 years old to be exact and now I am actually living what I have been waiting for and taking the steps to do it. I am in the delayed entry program and leave for Parris Island on 20120611. I wanted to become Recon and then after a year or two tryout for Marsoc. However my I was assigned as Presidential Security and that is something i do not want to do. So my question is just because as of right now my MOS is Presidential Security Forces does that mean i am stuck there or can it change how does it work?

If thats the contract you signedwell then yes... Why would you sign something you dont want to do? Im not sure if you can change it, maybe some other Marines can help you out with that but Presidential and you dont want to do that? Do you have any idea how sweet that is TS clearance and You do awesome things. Cool that you want to do recon or marsoc. but Marso doesnt really look for "boots". They honestly prefer Marines with 2 combat deployments under their belts. But good luck

I didnt sign anything for the presidential my recruiter put me in for it...what do you mean by "boots" and i want to deploy into combat so it looks better for marsoc that is why i wanted recon so i could complete a couple deployments and prepare for marsoc.

When did they make presidential duty a MOS and what MOS is it?

I thought poolees submit 3 MOS fields as their choices. Never heard of anybody being assigned presidential duty prior to bootcamp (always heard there is a screening/selection process and security clearances involved).

Top nailed it. You shouldve had a say in it. Before you ship the MEPS station will print out your new contract to replace the open contract you swore in with. You could tell your recruiter to let you choose your field or you wont sign to step on the yellow footprints. Boot means new guys thats the term you will hear A LOT if youre going to a grunt Bn so get used to it. Yes some people may find it offensive or rude suck it up and grow tough skin is the best advice I can give you since you want to be a 03. 1 or 2 yrs is not enough time to get 2 combat deployments under your belt. Honestly most Bns wouldnt want to give up a good healthy Marine so switching units could be a hassle. Youd probably have to reenlist to go Marsoc.

MSgt Im guessing its a SF contract but only presidential. He'll be an 03xx with a secondary MOS. Biggest example are the Marines that do ceremonies conducted with MarineOne. I do not know the specific MOS for that though.

I'm most likely wrong but I always thought the Marines standing by the hatch with HMX-1 are crew chiefs.

Would be educational if somebody who actually knows all this stuff would fill us in.

I entered recon infantry and combat engineer as my 3 MOS field choices my recruiter then called me and told me there was an opening and asked me if I wanted to sign up for presidential security which I said yes to and then I researched it and now I want to know if I will be able to switch to recon and what I will need to do. What do you mean when you say I will have to reenlist for marsoc?

Well you said yes so thats on you. To change it you must speak with your recruiter. He isnt going to be happy but its not about him its about you. You are signing up for 4-5 years make sure you are happy with what you will be doing. Reenlist- Sign up for another 4 yrs. That would be done between your 3rd or 4th yr mark

I just want to see combat and gain expirience so I can get marsoc I can do without recon but I would rather go into recon and then marsoc. Does anyone know how I can do it?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    For someone who has been wanting to do this since he was 4, seems to have no knowledge of it. I suggest you start looking into your life long goal, and consider all the possibilities. Try to be smart about it.

You dont know what combat is. Its not fun call of duty or the motovids that you've seen on youtube. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it. Maybe some recon or marsoc Marine will swing by and tell you all the details. I know when I was going through school they were asking for volunteers straight to marsoc as well as recon. Other than that I cant tell you the specific steps. Its different with every unit and timing and what the Corps need at the time.

Well there's limited information for these three things on the internet so im doing everything I can to learn.

Have you read this sticky........

Scout Sniper/Recon/MARSOC Information
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70637

Everyone always wants to 'see the elephant', until they get trampled. Kid, you just got offered a sweeeet deal. Jump on it. You can do all the moto nonsense later, once you finish your tour there. One door closes, another opens. Just that simple. Cool your jets and be happy with what you have. All this MarSoc/Recon nonsense is just that. What will you do if you fail Indoc? Or something else happens? Will life end as you know it? No.

It's all fun and games until the rounds start coming your way and you find out it ain't "Call of duty".

Thread Information