Really awkward moment - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenl0968 View Post

I always tell me mom that I want to join the core because I want to make a difference.
    I don't know what core you're talking about joining, but the Corps I was in is spelled Corps!!!

Yes Mam, I know. I tried to edit it but it wouldn't let me. I apologize. I definitely will do a double check on spelling from now on. Thank you.

Part of the problem is that the Marine Corps has such a powerful propaganda machine that everyone has this idea that if you're a Marine you're always forward deployed killing terrorists with your kabar while rocking your high speed oakleys.

While it's a cool thought half of us probably will never deploy to Afghanistan. Just now President Obama announced that 3/4 is leaving Helmand isn't going to be replaced. So I may be wrong, it could be the beginning of the end for the Marines in Afghanistan. You've got 3 months of boot camp, for you UH poolees 2 more months of ITB. For everyone else they've got a month at MCT and then 2-4 months of MOS school, not counting the time you may need to wait to pick up with a class.

Yea my mom always gives me that evil eye lol. we did have the death conversation once, and i just told her i joined the Marines and theyre the best trained and best at the job. we dont talk about it though cause its pretty awkward lol. But yea i fully understand the huge risk, and that i may never come home. But someones gotta make the sacrifice, but hopefully its the other guy ( aka talib/ al quada) and not me lol ( as you can see, i tend to laugh things off)

You could also look at it this way if you wernt doing what you are doing there would be someone else in your place. Now is that something you want, and i dont mean it in the sense that there are tons of people trying to join. I mean it like almost as if would you rather have someone else fighting and dying for the country instead of you? Many have come before and many will come after if you are here to answer the call and you believe that it is your place to be doing what you are doing would you rather have someone else dying for you sounds kinda selfish if you put it that way.

Well, just a little follow up. I got my mom to calm down a bit, but the death conversation certainly didn't help things. While the forces are getting drawn down, I guess that works out to her benefit since the idea is to take more people out of country, rather then send them there. Either way, I'm not in the 03XX field anyways, so while the chance of getting blown up or maimed, etc. is still there, it's not as heavy. Even after RT, I still have MCT and my MOS school which asusming all goes well puts me in my unit sometime around May-June-ish 2012. We'll see what happens. One day at a time I guess...

My parents told me I should be more like the guy who wrote the book "Three Cups of Tea" instead of going over there to kill people.

So I was like, "Watch Restrepo" of course that made it worse, so I tried to explain to them the history of the Korengal and more broadly the Pech and every damn valley that branches off of it. Where Mortenson had actually built a girls school in the Korengal, which was funny because my parents donated heavily to his organization.

So when Peter Bergen came out and said "this dudes story isn't straight", boom, I win. Topped it off with showing them a picture of MARINES helping provide security and rebuilding Mortenson's school. Felt good.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well, my mom decided to show me pictures of multiple amputees to try and dissuade me from signing up. She signed anyways, but she still doesn't like the idea.

My parents are govong me all that passive agressive comments, constant questioning, etc. I'm sure you've all been there. At the end of the day they're just doing their jobs as parents: worrying. As long as you are confident in your decision to join the USMC, that's all that really matters. Just roll with the punches. Just my $.02

As Gunnery Sgt. Dan Daly one said to motivate his Marines to attack, "Come on, you sons of b-----s, do you want to live forever?"

It irks me when people say stupid things such as "you're risking your life for a pointless war effort". If Marines were needed to be deployed, then the situation was anything but pointless.

Thread Information