MCO 1130.80A for reservists
Create Post

MCO 1130.80A for reservists

Good Afternoon,
    First i would like to say that I am new to this forum. I usually find my way here when i google questions about the marine corp. either way. on to business.

I am currently and USMC Reservist. I am a corporal. I just got back from Afghanistan in Feb. I have been trying , Since, to augment to active duty. however i keep getting the run around like noone in the marine corp knows how to augment.

here's my story so far:

I went to my local recruiter and spoke with them, they directed me to talk to my unit. I spoke with my unit and they told me to talk to a prior service recruiter. I got the number and called the closest prior service recruiter. He, for whatever reason happen to be on his way to my unit when i called so i waited til he got there. I spoke with him about augmenting and he told i need to talk to a regular recruiter because he only deals with marines that are completely out of the corp or in the IRR. SO with that said i went back to my local recruiter told him everything. They told me i had to get a conditional release form which i did then i had to lose weight because my max was 102 and i was 109. i got down to 198. went to meps for a physical. got to MEPs, the liaison at MEPS tells me that the recruiter shouldn't be doing it, my career planner should be doing this. They did not let me get my physical at MEPS becuase they said my unit should be doing it. so i get back home, very frustrated, talk to the recruiter explain everything and he says that, that sucks, if you can get your unit to get you a physical then let me know and we can continue on. i call my Ssgt ask to speak to our Career planner, he says we dont have one. I call the GySgt of the I+I at our unit she goes off about how its the recruiters job and blah blah.

ANY help would be great. I just want to sign a piece of paper, go active duty and be done with it.

I can't help you with your questions, but you should know how to spell Marine Corps by now.

It is the Career Planner's Job. You Have enlisted your in. No need to deal with the recruiters. You defiantly have to have a career planner. Go to the man that handles re-enlistments he should be able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    It is the Career Planner's Job. You Have enlisted your in. No need to deal with the recruiters. You defiantly have to have a career planner. Go to the man that handles re-enlistments he should be able to handle it.
    Don't believe reserve units have career planners.

Have you considered going AR? Its a long slow road for promotions, but most likely your only option. Your PSR can help you start a package.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    I can't help you with your questions, but you should know how to spell Marine Corps by now.

Honestly if you have nothing to contribute please move along.

As for the other replies.
    I read over the Order and it said that Obligated Reservist should talk to a recruiter. Maybe I read it wrong I don't know. However I have not looked into Active Reserve. Promotion is not a MAJOR concern, however it is a concern :P. I will look into that. Thank you.

And thank you for those that actually read that wall of text and took the time to contribute some useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Don't believe reserve units have career planners.
    Mine does Master SGT. Actually have a meeting with him this weekend to start my re-enlistment paperwork. Maybe mine just goes above and beyond normal scope to help us.

Yeah I don't know as much as I SHOULD know about who my career planner is, but when I txted my SSgt he said we don't have one and I was kind of taken back by that. I thought we HAD to have a career planner. Even the I+I GySgt I talked to from our I+I said that I don't have a Career Planner. Maybe something is screwed up with my unit. I wouldn't be surprised lol.

Is there a way to look up who the PSR is in my area?

The career planner for my old unit was apart of H&S, I believe.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As far as I know every unit has a career planner billet. It may not be his her full time job but it is a billet with a by name assignment. Somebody somewhere in your unit is assigned the career planner job. Ask your 1st Sgt who it is and take it from there.

I'm trying to figure out just how short someone has to be to have a max weight of 102???? Why in the world would you have anything to do with MEPS if you are currently an active reservist?

If you have any respect at all for the Marines then by all means go ahead and properly spell Marine Corps.

I was an I-I Admin Chief. It's been many years ago and maybe I'm just forgetting but I don't remember the reserve company having a career planner. Could be wrong and maybe the billet was there but just not occupied.

Not trying to insult you. But, if you read the rules of this site, you'll see that proper spelling of Marine and Marine Corps is a requirement here so please square yourself away. Comments directed at people who are just trying to make you aware are not appropriate and can get you banned from this site. Besides, a Marine should NEVER make that mistake in the first place no matter how much of a hurry they're in, texting on their smartphone, or whatever...there is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    As far as I know every unit has a career planner billet. It may not be his her full time job but it is a billet with a by name assignment. Somebody somewhere in your unit is assigned the career planner job. Ask your 1st Sgt who it is and take it from there.

I'm trying to figure out just how short someone has to be to have a max weight of 102???? Why in the world would you have anything to do with MEPS if you are currently an active reservist?

If you have any respect at all for the Marines then by all means go ahead and properly spell Marine Corps.
    It's supposed to be 202. I'm 6'0'' 23 years old. i was on a messed up keyboard hence the typos and everyone jumping me for misspelling something which I assume never happens around here.

Career Planner

All Reserve units (Company level and above) should have a Career Planner appointed as a collateral billet. Each Reserve Battalion should have a school trained Career Planner usually AR attached to the H & S Co. I & I Staff. Unfortunately the local Career Planners usually only deal with your run of the mill reenlistments so your best bet would be to find out who the Battalion Career Planner is and get in touch with that Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by OfernandezIV View Post
    It's supposed to be 202. I'm 6'0'' 23 years old. i was on a messed up keyboard hence the typos and everyone jumping me for misspelling something which I assume never happens around here.
    Happens way too often and there is always an excuse like "I was in a hurry" or "I was using my smartphone and it was hard to see the text". Problem in your case is you misspelled the same word TWICE...hardly a typo! And, that word just happens to be in the title banner of this website!! Now, get your sh$t squared away and stop giving lame-a$$ excuses...unless you just want to get visited by the black helos?

If it's just a typo, put your pride aside and say "my bad". Learn to pick and choose your battles.

On the topic of augmenting, you go to the recruiter. They will start the process and then give you the conditional release form. You will fill it out and typically suit it to your S-1. They will get Co and Bn level endorsements and then send it up to Rgt, Div, and MARFORRES. Once you have that you can get started on the other parts such as MEPS, etc.

The trick is finding a recruiter that will help you. The general consensus on here however is that the recruiters tell everyone there's no slots and to get lost. Per the order, they are supposed to get credit for the accession, however not being a recruiter, I have no idea. I have a package that has made it's way up to MCRC now and is one step away from HQMC, pm me if you have any more questions. I didn't have any problems with the recruiter, the SNCOIC of the station handled mine and he busted his ass or me.

P.s. Just try and spell Marine Corps right though, thanks.

Thread Information