What are the tabs called on a uniform?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What are the tabs called on a uniform?

What are the tab things called that are over the left side of the chest, and why do some Marines have medals on that side and tabs on the other? Please help Marines.

Are you referring to a ribbon? Which uniform, cammies or any variant other than cammies?

I dont recall a tab on any of my uniforms, maybe I didnt try hard enough to be awarded one.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC-SSGT View Post
    Are you referring to a ribbon? Which uniform, cammies or any variant other than cammies?

I dont recall a tab on any of my uniforms, maybe I didnt try hard enough to be awarded one.
    I'm sorry for my ignorance, Sir. Yes it is a ribbon indeed. Thank you. Can you inform me on why some Marines have medals on the side where ribbons usually are?

I think you are talking about ribbons. The reason for sometimes there being medals on one side and ribbons on the other is because while all medals have a corresponding ribbon, not all ribbons have a corresponding medal. Whether you wear just ribbons or a combo of medals and ribbons is dependent on the assigned uniform class.

Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    I think you are talking about ribbons. The reason for sometimes there being medals on one side and ribbons on the other is because while all medals have a corresponding ribbon, not all ribbons have a corresponding medal. Whether you wear just ribbons or a combo of medals and ribbons is dependent on the assigned uniform class.
    Thank you Marine. So how does one earn these ribbons and medals?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Try this link. It's Wikipedia, but the information looks accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_...tates_military

The first photo on the page is of retired Marine General Peter Pace wearing Dress Blues Alpha. His medals and jump wings are worn over the left breast pocket, his awards that do not have medals and worn over his right breast pocket. The circular thing on his left pocket is his Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff device.

Marines only wear medals when Dress Blues Alpha is appropriate or authorized. Ribbons are worn on all other Dress and Service uniforms. No medals or ribbons are worn on utility uniforms (although pilot wings, jump wings, and several other specialty devices can be worn above the left pocket of the utility blouse.

As an example, I rate 22 ribbons, but only 15 of those have medals too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Try this link. It's Wikipedia, but the information looks accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_...tates_military

The first photo on the page is of retired Marine General Peter Pace wearing Dress Blues Alpha. His medals and jump wings are worn over the left breast pocket, his awards that do not have medals and worn over his right breast pocket. The circular thing on his left pocket is his Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff device.

Marines only wear medals when Dress Blues Alpha is appropriate or authorized. Ribbons are worn on all other Dress and Service uniforms. No medals or ribbons are worn on utility uniforms (although pilot wings, jump wings, and several other specialty devices can be worn above the left pocket of the utility blouse.

As an example, I rate 22 ribbons, but only 15 of those have medals too.
    22 ribbons? Wow. Well thank you for the information Sir. Thank you all Marines not only for the answer to my questions but for your service to this country. You deserve so much more than medals and ribbons.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    22 ribbons? Wow. Well thank you for the information Sir. Thank you all Marines not only for the answer to my questions but for your service to this country. You deserve so much more than medals and ribbons.
    22 ribbons isn't terribly many for someone who has been in the Air Force. I only rated eight ribbons total from the Marines. The rest are Air Force or Air National Guard awards.

Most are nothing super special. Just been there-done that ribbons. In fact, after you get a certain number, (more than one) it starts to be a pain in the butt keeping them in order, pinning or gluing additional award devices on straight, and pinning the whole mess to your shirt or blouse straight and level.

My oldest daughter has been in the AF Reserves for about seven years (one trip to Afghanistan) and she looks like a Third World Dictator (she already has 14 ribbons). She just called me the other day to tell me she's getting put in for another award. Typical of most veterans, she said, "That's just what I need, ANOTHER ribbon." It usually means having to buy a new ribbon bar to fit all your awards, and since you're at it, buy all fresh new ribbons and devices, then putting it all together.

I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to mess with it at all anymore.

Well that sounds like a lot of work but to be able to show what you have done is a cool thing. I bet it gets hard remembering what they are all for, right? Anyways, the information you gave in just that one link provides the insight on nearly every, if not all of the ribbons and medals to date. It is very helpful and I thank you for it. By the way, how long have you been in scouting? It was fun while I was in, but I never made it to Eagle, only Star rank. One thing to the other I guess. It's just so interesting to me how the military has so many ways to recognize their service members, which is one of the appealing parts to enlistment and service. Thank you again for all the information.

One last question for you Zulu 36. Do the medals and ribbons that you earned in the Airforce apply to your Marine Corps dress blues or service uniform?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    One last question for you Zulu 36. Do the medals and ribbons that you earned in the Airforce apply to your Marine Corps dress blues or service uniform?

No, it went the other way around. I was a Marine first, then in the Air National Guard. All of my Marine Corps awards did transfer over.

I've been an adult leader in Scouting now for almost seven years. Right now I just work with Venturing Scouts as my youngest daughter is there.

I have to as you this Sgt as I've always wondered. Since you transfered services, did you ever wear your blues, or was it even authorized? I know its Marine until you die, but since you transfered services, I would find that almost weird that you would be in the air force but decided to wear your Marine Corps Dress Blues for something, and saying if you did, would you rate those medals that you were awarded in the air force that COULD transfer over to the Corps, or would you just wear what you earned in the Corps? That also covers the service stripes, would you rate more, or do the Corps blues only cover what you did before and while in, not after? Then on your air force would you rate service strips for your time in the Corps or is it only your time in the Air Force? Thats if they have service strips, not quite sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    I have to as you this Sgt as I've always wondered. Since you transfered services, did you ever wear your blues, or was it even authorized? I know its Marine until you die, but since you transfered services, I would find that almost weird that you would be in the air force but decided to wear your Marine Corps Dress Blues for something, and saying if you did, would you rate those medals that you were awarded in the air force that COULD transfer over to the Corps, or would you just wear what you earned in the Corps? That also covers the service stripes, would you rate more, or do the Corps blues only cover what you did before and while in, not after? Then on your air force would you rate service strips for your time in the Corps or is it only your time in the Air Force? Thats if they have service strips, not quite sure on that.
    Interesting. I'm curious about the same thing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once I enlisted in the Air Guard, I wasn't authorized to wear the Marine Corps uniform. I even attended Marine Corps Birthday Balls in my Air Force uniform.

The AF does not wear hashmarks. Instead the Air Force issues a ribbon called the Longevity Ribbon. You get the ribbon after four-years of service and attach an oak leaf cluster device for every four years of service afterward. My seven years of Marine service (six active, one reserve) all transferred over. I retired with 21-total years of service, so I had four OLC devices on my Longevity Ribbon representing five four-year blocks of service. A Marine with 21-years of service would have five hashmarks.

If for some odd reason I went back into the Marine Corps I would only have 16 ribbons, of which 12 would have medals. I would lose the AF Longevity Ribbon, AF Expert Marksman Ribbon, AF Training Ribbon, and three State of Michigan Air Guard awards.

If I were to wear a uniform as a retired service member, it would be the Air Force uniform as that is the branch I retired from. People who know how to read ribbons will know I served as a Marine.

Thank you for answering all of that in a timely fashion Sgt. I figured that was the case but I got a little curious haha, thanks again brother. Semper Fi

Thread Information