I would greatly appreciate the help.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I would greatly appreciate the help.

Yes anyone who could help me I would greatly appreciate it. My name is Jesse, I'm 19, and wanting to join the United States Marine Corp with everything i've got in me. My problem is, I'm 6'1 also 259. I'm built so I don't look it but I know that won't matter. I've been exercising for a little over a year and I have lost over 70pounds since then so I am trying. I'm nervous about talking to a recruiter because I am worried he won't take me as serious as I am about joining because of the fact im not 100% ready. I am tired of not making any steps toward my goal by talking to a recruiter and getting things in motion, but I know that theres a limit on weight and body fat so my question was would I be able to go into some kind of program or anything of the sort to get physically ready for basic? I had heard the DEP but I also heard that it was just the waiting period after you sign and swear in till you depart for basics. I'm on my way but I would like to go asap without rushing too much and screwing myself over because I wasn't prepared. If anyone has any solutions or anything at all please state them.

If you want an answer fill out your profile.

And, learn how to spell Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseM91 View Post
    Yes anyone who could help me I would greatly appreciate it. My name is Jesse, I'm 19, and wanting to join the United States Marine Corp with everything i've got in me. My problem is, I'm 6'1 also 259. I'm built so I don't look it but I know that won't matter. I've been exercising for a little over a year and I have lost over 70pounds since then so I am trying. I'm nervous about talking to a recruiter because I am worried he won't take me as serious as I am about joining because of the fact im not 100% ready. I am tired of not making any steps toward my goal by talking to a recruiter and getting things in motion, but I know that theres a limit on weight and body fat so my question was would I be able to go into some kind of program or anything of the sort to get physically ready for basic? I had heard the DEP but I also heard that it was just the waiting period after you sign and swear in till you depart for basics. I'm on my way but I would like to go asap without rushing too much and screwing myself over because I wasn't prepared. If anyone has any solutions or anything at all please state them.

WITHOUT pullng any punches OR sugarcoating anything here........"YOU'RE NOT READY..!!" You need to get on a strength conditioning program AND a serious weight loss program and lose some body weight my young friend BEFORE any recruiter will even look at you......understand? You don't need to rush these things because they simply cannot be rushed.......if you ever want to realize your dream of becoming a Marine.....you need to at least SHOW some of the potential you have to have to simply survive in our brotherhood.....understand? So don;t give up your current endeavors and keep losing that weight and exercising.....get a simple Marine Corps PFT down pat THEN go talk to a recruiter.......!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post

Correct....go here, read the rules if you want to be taken seriously.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

Then...lose the weight so you are prepared physically.
    Being mentally prepared is yet to be determined.

Me...after what we've seen here in the last few weeks I've become more cynical (hardly possibly for me) and don't believe anyone anymore.

Good luck...

With all due respect I don't see how either one of those stops you from answering my question and I fail to see the point of your post other than trying to insult me, but your right ill fill out the information. I was in a bit of a hurry is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    WITHOUT pullng any punches OR sugarcoating anything here........"YOU'RE NOT READY..!!" You need to get on a strength conditioning program AND a serious weight loss program and lose some body weight my young friend BEFORE any recruiter will even look at you......understand? You don't need to rush these things because they simply cannot be rushed.......if you ever want to realize your dream of becoming a Marine.....you need to at least SHOW some of the potential you have to have to simply survive in our brotherhood.....understand? So don;t give up your current endeavors and keep losing that weight and exercising.....get a simple Marine Corps PFT down pat THEN go talk to a recruiter.......!!
    Thank you for the response and I am well aware I am not ready. I've lost so much weight so far that it won't be too much longer. I was just wondering if there was something I could do to quicken it is all. Your right it can't be rushed so ill keep dieting keep exercising and running and it'll happen when it does. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Dog View Post
    Do not enlist until you are 100 percent certain this is what you want, and are ready to go.
    100% It's what I want. Doing my best to get ready is all.

With all due respect I don't see how either one of those stops you from answering my question and I fail to see the point of your post other than trying to insult me, but your right ill fill out the information. I was in a bit of a hurry is all.
    With all do respect to you, JesseM91, Tennessee Top wasn't trying to insult you by pointing out to you to fill out your profile and the proper spelling of Marine Corps.
    Filling out your profile is a site requirement....it's so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to (male-female).
    Site rules can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

And you don't RATE to come in here and lecture ANY Marine, much less a Master Sergeant of Marines.

Your first mission is to learn some DISCIPLINE, follow the RULES, and learn respect.

Because without those, you'll fail here for sure and likely fail in your attempt to become a Marine. Every single Marine here learned, practiced, and lives by those rules.

You are a GUEST in our house, act like one or you'll find the hatch hitting you on the way OUT.

No insult intended. If I wanted to insult you believe me you would know it.

Like softballcatch23 pointed out...if you would take the time to read the rules of a site before posting on it, you would learn that this one requires a completed profile, as well as, proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. Maybe your feelings get hurt easily so I should have been more polite to you. Everyone always says they were in a hurry, or, they were on their smart phone...whatever. Just get yourself squared-away if you want to play here...simple.

Here is a goal for you. You are presently 73" at 259 pounds. The goal for you before you talk to a recruiter is 233 pounds.(without a waiver) This is the weight for a 73" male between 16-20 to contract into the United States Marine Corps.
    -26 more pounds. I don't know of any Recruiter that would not take a young man seriously that has lost 70 pounds to achieve the goal of being a Marine! Who knows he may just have the knowledge you are looking for, or know someone who does to get that weight off correctly. Good luck
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oscrmyr View Post
    Here is a goal for you. You are presently 73" at 259 pounds. The goal for you before you talk to a recruiter is 233 pounds.(without a waiver) This is the weight for a 73" male between 16-20 to contract into the United States Marine Corps.
    -26 more pounds. I don't know of any Recruiter that would not take a young man seriously that has lost 70 pounds to achieve the goal of being a Marine! Who knows he may just have the knowledge you are looking for, or know someone who does to get that weight off correctly. Good luck
    Semper Fi
    Well said, Top. I have to echo this statement. I enlisted a young man myself who when I first talked to him, he had 20lbs to lose and could not do a single pull up. I gave him a few hours of my time and showed/taught him what he could do to lose weight naturally and how to train to do pull-ups. He then went and did it on his own. In two months, he had lost the weight and could do 4 pull-ups. Now he is a Marine and was a squad leader in boot camp. One of the recruiters that works for me right now is about to enlist a young man who lost over 100lbs. Prove that you want it, and the recruiters will give you their time. I am always impressed with someone who loses weight to enlist.

A lot of recruiters have a weekly workout meeting that they will allow anybody to attend who wants to. You will never know until you ask. It just takes the courage to talk to a Marine recruiter. Often times, that is the hardest part of enlistment...walking in the door.

No insult intended. If I wanted to insult you believe me you would know it.

Like softballcatch23 pointed out...if you would take the time to read the rules of a site before posting on it, you would learn that this one requires a completed profile, as well as, proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. Maybe your feelings get hurt easily so I should have been more polite to you. Everyone always says they were in a hurry, or, they were on their smart phone...whatever. Just get yourself squared-away if you want to play here...simple.
    I understand completely, and I apologize. I'll be sure I have everything sorted out on here before I go posting things. I've corrected myself so I won't make the mistake again.

I understand completely, and I apologize. I'll be sure I have everything sorted out on here before I go posting things. I've corrected myself so I won't make the mistake again.
    Your attitude adjustment is noted and appreciated.

Good luck to you on your quest to earn the title.

Grainger High School. Ahhh, the Bears.

Thread Information