USMC OCS Application Question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

USMC OCS Application Question

Hi,

I wanted to get some perspective from Marines aside from my recruiter. Here is some information about me that isn’t in my profile. I am a recent college graduate with a BS in Aerospace Engineering and currently work at Boeing.

I’ve been thinking about joining the military for much of my late teenage to adult life. I’ve recently spoken with a SSgt who handed me an USMC OCS application package and told me to get it to him ASAP. From what he’s told me, I would compile my application package by mid July at the latest. I told him if selected for OCS I would like to attend the January 2012 Winter session and not the October 2011 Fall one. He recommends that I get my package in now so if needed I can be reviewed by the board twice to increase my chances of selection. As I understand it, I would go to MEPS and have my initial PFT shortly after turning in my application package. Frankly, my PFT score is not very high now. I’ve been training for about a month and a half for the PFT. I’ve always been active, casually playing sports and swimming, but I would not consider myself an athlete. I can do about 14 pull ups and am close to 100 sit ups. My main problem is my running which I hear is a crucial component. I can run a 7 minute mile, down from 9 minutes when I first started. Obviously, my OSO wants me in the best shape possible and score in the 250+ range on the PFT, but I honestly do not see that happening within a month.

My long drawn question is should I keep training and not rush my application package for this upcoming board, then apply later in the year? I believe with more training under my belt especially running, I can score a much higher initial PFT which would look better for the board.

Thanks

14 Pull-ups, 100 Crunches, and a 21 minute 3-mile run would get you a 252. The money maker on the PFT is pull-ups, so I'd focus on them and keeping your run time at or under 7 minutes.

I think it is funny that you want to pick and choose which OCS session you will attend. Do you have any idea how many people would give anything for ANY opportunity to become a Marine Corps officer?

Your attitude makes me wonder whether or not you REALLY want to do this? Have you thought about that?

You wont be competitive with a 250 PFT. You are going to want at least a 280 to begin to look competitive. If I remember correctly you wont even pick up with your company if you have less than a 250 on the initial PFT.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok thanks for the feedback, I think I should clarify some things. First I am in this 100%. I would LIKE to attend the winter session for two reasons. One is that I have braces and they are coming off by the end of this year, so they won't let me in the Fall session because of them. The winter session is the next one available. I'm sure anyone who wants to get into the OCS program would do so as soon as possible.

Secondly, I have been training for a month and optimistically still have more than half a year left to train. I believe I will attain above a 270+ on the PFT by then.

I was only asking about the pre-ship PFT that my OSO would give me to see if I was up to snuff for OCS, and not the initial PFT that one takes when one arrives at OCS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shifty31 View Post
    I was only asking about the pre-ship PFT that my OSO would give me to see if I was up to snuff for OCS, and not the initial PFT that one takes when one arrives at OCS.

Thanks
    Chances are, your OSO is going to base his recommendation on your PFT with him and not on what your anticipated improvement may be by the time you ship.

As the Master Guns said, pull ups are where the points are for the PFT score. There are several different pull up programs advocated on the forums here, and they all work (if you do them -- none of them work if you only do them part way).

RE - your run time. You say that you are running a 7 minute mile -- that's fine, but it's a far way from running three consecutive 7 minute miles. Now, if you are saying that you are running a 21 minute 3 mile run, then okay - not great, but you're in a pretty good position to improve. If you're saying that you are running a 7 minute mile, then you need to up your run distance. Most of the running at OCS is about endurance -- most of it isn't timed (although the PFTs are, of course). You don't need to be the fastest guy there, but getting under 20 minutes for the 3 mile run will do you service.

My advice to your question -- discuss it with your OSO. If you go before the next board and are rejected because of your PFT scores, how will that be received in the next board (providing you show significant improvement)?

Keep working out, and if possible, increase your schedule and intensity. The OCS website has a great recommended PT schedule (or used to). If you are not already, consider going to a 2-a-day workout schedule.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright thanks for the advice. I've been following the Armstrong Pull Up Guide for 3 weeks now. I started at 10 pull ups. I've been running for the past month and a half , doing sprints and what not. I've got some nasty shin splints and have been resting for the past week while going on the elliptical instead of pavement. I'll go back to the pavement next week most likely. I've read time and time again that running is critical to OCS. All I need to do is find a balance between running my ass off and not injuring myself while doing so.

Thread Information