What was your life like before the Marine Corps - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I was born to poor share croppers in the mountains of Pennsylvania....the winters were cold and harsh.....

We lived in an old dilapidated chicken coop that had a leaky roof and cardboard patches.

Dirt for floors, No running water and No toilet. Very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.. To me.. it was an adventure.. and I never complained.

Making roads in the dirt, I played with rocks and sticks on the cold frozen ground in the winter and the dusty ground in the summer with the only thing I ever received for Christmas a bag of army soldiers from the Toys for Tots..I use rocks and sticks as 6x6's....tanks and jeeps....the first lesson in overcome and adapt and the will to survive..

We grew our own food and kept chickens in a pen outside. Often selling or trading to the local grocery store. Later a neighbor gave us an old cast iron stove.. Finally some much needed heat and somewhere to cook our meals..

Spending hours chopping wood.. I would have to gather mud from the fields to fill in the gaps between the old coop walls to help hold in the heat.

I never bickered or complained about our living arrangements......I had to walk 3 miles to school each way regardless of the weather.....

One day I was coming home and saw a Marine recruiter getting into his car with his dress blues on....he greeted me....we talked....I signed....had a physical and tests and stepped on the yellow foot prints a week later.

My life now, is made up of the simpler things.... food in my belly, clothes on my back and a shelter over my head. I’ve succeeded and I've survived in my life in the knowing that my family taught me well.....

And the Marine Corps gave me three hots and a cot and the eagle shiat steady twice a month.....made me the man I am today.....I was in heaven and still am....

I was a typical HS student that had been bullied and was sick and tired of it. My Dad was the type to tell me he bought me in the world and he would take me out and I knew he was going to kill me one day so when I got 17 I dep'd in to get away from him. He insisted I go into a field of technology because computers were the future so I picked 6434 Aviation Electrician IMA level.

I served for Reagan and Bush Sr with a TS Whitehouse Security Clearance, Nuff Said.

I got out bounced from one job to the next and found a home as a Application Engineer in 1995 and been here every since.

Excellent thread.

Cpl Kevin D. Heglar
    Semper Fi

Graduated High School June 1985, was working retail. Started college in January of 1986, woke up one cold snowy morning and decided my life was boring and joined the Corps. Dad was Marine 1950-1954. Semper Fi Dad

I graduated HS early and near the top of my class. I went to Purdue university for two years while working and acting as a head mechanic and racing supermoto for a local shop. By my second year in college i was basically running the team and trying to balance that as well as my schooling. After two years in college i have my associates in interpersonal communications. I enlisted into the Marines as an 03 option and got placed as an 0311 in SOI. After that i went to the lovely 3rd battalion 4th marines where i couldnt be happier. I'm getting ready to deploy again soon with 3/7.

Life as a Marine is much simpler in a way and has suited me well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Was graduating at 17 back in'69 in a steel town with nothing to do. You couldn't work at 17. Went to a vocational school and was a certified welder. High school was too damm easy for me so I didn't put much into it. Just kept gettin Bs and Cs, and gettin drunk. A week after graduation I shipped.

Remember in those days I was in the 120 day delay program but I saw my Recruiter maybe twice. I believe most shipped with no preparation which made boot a bit harder.

I had watched way too many John Wayne movies and had this notion that I was supposed to defend this country.

I appreciate the sincerity from everyone more than you may know.

Truely gives me motivation to see the differences, yet deep seeded similarities in us. Thinking about the mentality from a lot of service members and why they chose this path: reiterates my reasoning to continue to sacrifice what I will.

I feel life is more valuable if you've found something to die for; and family/friends definitely comes to mind. Becoming a Marine allows for a lot of growth, and I plan to take advantage of this oppurtunity.

Lets hear some more stories(?)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Before: Normal 23 year old, worked some - went to school some, had a few habits, and playing hard as hell! Went in the Corps, dropped a few habits but, still played hard as hell.

Now..................just like PB said - long as I got food in my stomach, roof over my head, and someplace to lay my head at night, I'm a happy camper. I still have a few habits but, I am TOTALLY played the hell out!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    I still have a few habits but, I am TOTALLY played the hell out!
    Haha.. Attagirl, Ma'am
    Thanks for sharing

Thread Information