What was your life like before the Marine Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool What was your life like before the Marine Corps

I want to know the person you were before.
    What your life was like. Friends, Family, Education... Job, Relationships etc.

I think this will be interesting
    ... if you like, ad where you are now in life
    Cheers

My life before consisted of doing nothing but working in retail, and spending time at home with my wife and daughter living in a small home. My wife also worked retail so we barely had time to spend with each other. I already had my associates degree from 2006. Looked like the nasty civilian I was. Back then I had a small beard and a regular haircut and I thought it was good looking. I look back now at those pictures and am appalled of how I looked, lol. The Marine Corps changes your view.

Where am I now?

A Corporal of Marines, living in Hawaii in a much nicer home that I don't physically pay for thanks to BAH. Ive done what many won't do this day and age by joining the best branch of the Military (joining the military for that matter during a time of war).
    Feels good to be serving my country and probably the best part for me is being able to say I'm a United States Marine.

I graduated highschool and was washing dishes at a hotel restaraunt so couldn't afford college. My hometown is a steel town in Ohio; if you didn't know someone at the steel plant then you were never going to work there (good ole boys network) and I didn't. Broke up with my highschool sweetheart so had zero reasons to hang around. Went and talked to the USMC recruiter (was not interested in the others) and the rest is history as far as my USMC career.

Spent 22.6 years as a career Marine. Punched out, used my GI Bill and went back to school. Had 5 job offers before I graduated (3 from hospitals in the Tampa/St Pete area and 2 here in East Tennessee). Had lived in Knoxville before when I was on the Inspector-Instructor Staff with the USMC Reserve Company here. Small world, the USMC/USN Reserve Center is right across the highway from the University of Tennessee Medical Center where I accepted their job offer after college. So, never been laid off or unemployed since graduating highschool (got my USMC pension/GI Bill while going to school). For the last 13 years, have been a professional clinician in the medical profession with credentials and a license to practice. Will retire from the state of Tennessee with 15 years service on June 1st 2013 (not that I'm counting down or anything).

No family (occupational hazard of being a career Marine). Mortgage and vehicle paid off. Traded my bass boat in for a new 18' 2011 Triton Special Edition that just turned over 10 hours on the motor so still paying the boat loan. Bass fishing is my hobby and I have a date to go fishing Tuesday with Ott DeFoe; the 2011 BASSMASTER Rookie of the Year who lives here in Knoxville (paying for 4 hours of his time to teach me a few things).

I was a going no where 17 year old with friends that where long hair war hating who when they found out I was going into the Corps asked me what I would do if there was a riot and the Marines where called in and I was one and I saw them in the front line and was ordered to fire would I shoot . I thought this was a dumb question so I said no I would throw a grenade lost most of them that day

Nice,
    this is almost a sticky thread haha... I think it's great to know the type of lives Marines lead before and after the Corps. Keep 'm coming

Farm kid, typical "Huckleberry Finn" life growing up, hunted, trapped fished and was in Boy Scouts. Crappy student in High School but was in various clubs anyway, including Theatre Arts, Stage Crew, Literary Magazine and such. Military collector since age 10. Worked as a farm hand, general laborer, auctioneers helper, and finally a Parts truck driver my last summer prior to recruit training.

Enlisted just after I turned 17, DEP'd for 8 months, turned 18 in Recruit Training.

I turned 17 on the 17th by the 23rd I was at Boot camp

Sergeant Leprechaun,
    You say military collector... movies and such?
    How did you start this? Obviously at a young age, I'm sure it was a good push into the thought of this lifestyle.

- Cheers

Thanks, Dave
    Wow, it's crazy to see you guys commited at such a young age. Wonder if it was actually easier before real life got ahold of you, haha.

Glad you like the thread idea... Hope it has replies. Builds the community you know(?)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Grew up in Detroit, went to high school, worked stocking shelves at a mom and pop store, caddied at the Country Club of Detroit, enlisted at 17, in DEP for seven-months, went to boot after HS.

Always wanted to be in the military, found the Corps end of my sophmore year, decided thats what I wanted with my life. Talked to a recruiter, stayed with him for most of my time. I worked at a gas station and as a dish washer, was one of those shop kids, never took school seriously which many of my teachers frowned upon, there for me recieving multiple lectures. I stuck with it, enlisted June 2nd 2009, before the end of my junior year. Granted HS June 6th 2010, left my house June 20th, fathers day, and set out to achieve my dream. I have many friends who back in high school thought I was dumb for wanting to join now 4 of them are enlisted and a few are thinking about joining (all army/air force though). I'm living the dream, telling my friends real non-bull sh*t stories while they all sit there wide eyes saying, YOU REALLY GET TO DO THAT?!!? Trust me, there isn't a better choice out there in my opinion. I never once traveled when I was a kid, I have now been on both coast, more then once and will be going to Japan in a few months.

I was happy.

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    I was happy.
    Love to hear about it(?)

I went to boot camp two weeks after I graduated HS. I knew when I was 5 that I wanted to be a Marine. Once in you will see one side of the military. It has opened many doors for me and given me the opportunity to excel in my career. I don't know where I would be now if I hadn't joined the Marine Corps.

I enlisted a week after my 17th birthday. I had no idea what to major in and I began seeing my buddies heading down the wrong path. Signing up bought me four years to choose a career. Plus Marines are bada$$ez 'nuff said.

Thread Information