Any recruiters from Southern California?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member KillerMiller's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Any recruiters from Southern California?

I have been trying to join the Marine Corps since my 17th birthday, which was about a year and a half ago. I only have one disqualifier, and that is corrective surgery for pez planus(flat feet) which required implants, which I had removed at the discretion of my old recruiter. The Gunny in charge of the station said it would not be a problem, but he refuses to send me to MEPS because he is too busy with other recruits. I know there are no doctors here, and I am not looking for sympathy, I just want a chance for BUMED to clear me and I am looking for a station that has room for someone with a Medical Waiver and can maybe send me up with a Wannabe who is in the same boat. I have been told by Gunnies from two stations that I may not even require a waiver, but they just won't send me up to MEPS for a physical because they are so busy, its not their fault, like I said I just want a chance to be a part of the greatest fighting force our country has to offer.

Thank you for your time Marines

You had implants surgically put into your feet and then had them removed because your recruiter told you to? Don't think I'm reading you correctly. I'm confused.

If your Gunny thinks you can clear MEPS and then ship eventually, why wouldn't he send you and get the credit for it (afterall, that is their mission)? Obviously, you're wondering the same thing.

Things are not adding up here...something's missing.

Maybe one of the recruiters here will see your question and have an opinion.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the reply Master Sergeant. My recruiter said that with the hardware in my feet I would be DQ'd so he told me the best thing for me to do would be to take the hardware out, the flat feet are still corrected though so I have neither flat feet nor implants anymore, just a history of surgery. And both Gunnies have informed me that they are "making mission" and fufilling their quotas with applicants who need no waivers. I was hoping to find a station who needs a little more room

Sounds like there is more to this story than what you are telling us. Are you sure this is your only disqualifier? Have you ever been arrested? Are you physically fit? you said "hardware" in your feet. Did you have pins, or plates put in? How long has it been since you had the surgery to remove them? Did you provide all related documents to your recruiter including a letter from your doctor stating "Cleared from my care and has NO PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS"? You say BUMED, but you have not been to MEPS yet? BUMED does not review anything on an applicant until they have been PERMANENTLY disqualified by a doctor at MEPS.

If what you say is true, there is no reason not to send you to MEPS or at least send your paperwork to MEPS to have it pre-screened.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Sounds like there is more to this story than what you are telling us. Are you sure this is your only disqualifier? Have you ever been arrested? Are you physically fit? you said "hardware" in your feet. Did you have pins, or plates put in? How long has it been since you had the surgery to remove them? Did you provide all related documents to your recruiter including a letter from your doctor stating "Cleared from my care and has NO PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS"? You say BUMED, but you have not been to MEPS yet? BUMED does not review anything on an applicant until they have been PERMANENTLY disqualified by a doctor at MEPS.

If what you say is true, there is no reason not to send you to MEPS or at least send your paperwork to MEPS to have it pre-screened.
    Yes Staff Sergeant, this is my only disqualifier I've always been on the straight and narrow, even volunteering as an Explorer for my local Sheriff's Department, never touched any drugs. I actually had to take the IST with some of the Recruiting Stations Poolees and did better than about 1/3 of their Poolees. I received the surgery November last year which was to remove the pins (they kind of looked like screws) inserted to help create an arch in my feet, which was successful, and have a letter from the surgeon saying Cleared to resume all physical activity, a letter from my podiatrist stating my feet and ankles are completely healthy, and a long letter from my Physician stating that I am in perfect health and how healthy I am.

I was not aware of this Staff Sergeant, I have been being told that I was waiting for them to send all documents related to my surgery to MEPS to be reviewed by BUMED. The Gunny at my current station said he had to fill out a "Dirty" something when he had time. I want to say a "Dirty 27O8". Believe me Staff Sergeant if I was just some turd crying about how I couldn't get in because of a Possession Charge or a tattoo I wouldn't wasted anyone's time, but I have always known that I wanted to earn a set of Dress Blues and the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, and have modeled my life after achieving that goal, but I haven't even had a chance to be looked at by the doctors at MEPS. I have been trying to join since I turned 17, It is now 3 months since my 18th birthday, and I still haven't gone to MEPS. In fact my old recruiter finished his tour of duty while I was still in school and that's why I switched. I have taken the ASVAB with a score of 92, and filled out pre-screening documents, the only problem with which were the foot surgery.

Thank you for your time Staff Sergeant

Credits
    Savings
    So I had a reply from a recruiter in the next town over and he also did not seem to see any problems, and he made an offer that I never had considered before and he says its the only offer I'm going to get, and that is to be a reservist. If that is the only way to join the Corps I am willing to, but how hard is it to augment to Active Duty, especially considering the overcrowded condition the Corps is facing. My recruiter says it will be easy but from what I have read it won't be as easy as he's making it seem

Thread Information