Mos 2631
Create Post

Thread: Mos 2631

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Mos 2631

Hello everyone,

Alright, I'm 17 years old and I'm going into DEP around October. Right now, at the top of my unofficial list of MOS's that I would like is 2631, Electronic Intelligence Intercept Operator/Analyst. I know there are a few Marines on this site who have experience with this MOS and similar ones, so I was hoping that someone could shed some light on:
    -What I would be doing while deployed/not deployed
    -How competitive this MOS is
    -How I can prepare for it
    -What I have to look forward to/look out for
    I am in extraordinarily good shape, I love working hard and learning, and any tips on how to have a successful Marine corps career would be much appreciated. Thank you.

First off, you will be hard pressed to actually get this particular MOS given the fact that the enlistment code that encompasses this MOS includes a lot of other MOS's from both the 02 and 2600 Occfields. The only "intel" MOS's that can be guaranteed is the 267X series which are all of the linguist MOS's.

This MOS is small and very competitive, compared to the rest of the 2600 MOS's it tends to promote slower, and there is no preparing for it. You need to also qualify for a security clearance.

I can say that as this MOS you will work at either a Radio Bn, EW Squadron, or "letter" Company, which is going to make no sense to you, but there's no other way around it. And, given that we are not engaged in conventional warfare against an actual uniformed, well equipped military force there is really no need for Marines of this MOS in the current wars. You will be doing to same job as your 2621 or 267X (depending on their language) buddies.

I wouldn't get you hopes up about getting this MOS as the possibility of such is very small realistically given its needs compared to the rest of the 02 and 2600 MOS's. I would implore you to do an About.com search of 02 and 2600 MOS's if you are interested in "Intel." And, if there are any acronyms or abbreviations you don't understand just look them up in Wikipedia.

Credits
    Savings
    @haebyungdae: 2621 was another MOS that I was looking at. 267x is possible, but that's dependent on my DLAB score, and there's no way of knowing how well I'll score on that. I've been to about.com, wikipedia, and I've looked at threads pertaining to this, but I couldn't find much about it. I'm not expecting a whole lot of insider information on this (although it would be nice), but could you or anyone else for that matter shed some light on any relevant MOS's in the 26xx field; something I can't find on about.com?

No insider information, sorry lol. Relevant 2600 MOS's, your options for 2600 are 2621, 2631, 2651, and 267X. That's about it. Reading description online and not knowing the workings they will all seem the same, but they are not. The 2600 MOS's, as you will read anywhere, are all EW MOS's. They are complementary but different (in theory). If you are interested in Intel and want a challenge the 2600 MOS's will suit you well.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you sir, you have been extremely helpful. I think I've got the differences between 26xx field MOS's down (please correct me if I'm wrong):
    -2621: They focus on intercepting enemy communications signals and finding their origions.
    -2631: They focus on gathering intelligence about the enemy's electronic capabilities like radar for example
    -2651: They distribute this intelligence to where it needs to go.
    But, given the type of war we're in would you recommend entering this career field? What are my odds of landing a spot in a non-linguist 26xx MOS and what particular MOS would that most likely be? I think I want to enter the 2621 MOS, but what MOS in the 26xx field (including linguist) would you recomnend? I hope all my questions aren't wearing you out. Thanks again.

If you want the 2600 field, the best way is to try and get 267X the linguist option since only that guarantees you an EW MOS. Other than that, I can't speak accurately on the possibility of getting a 2600 MOS over an 0200 MOS. I would say, guessing I might add, that it is probably slightly less than 50/50, in favor of the 0200 MOS's. And, IF you got a 2600 MOS it would most likely be either 2621 or 2651.

I would highly recommend the 2600 field and especially the linguist field. It is both very challenging and very rewarding.

Asking all these questions is fine and I have no problem obliging, but see what the local recruiter says. Talk to him/her early rather than later and show him/her that you are motivated to be a Marine, not what you want as an MOS.

P.S. Don't call me sir. You can call me by my first name, handle, or rank.

I'm a 2651/2611 currently on recruiting duty... the best you can do is shoot for a DD contract and hope for the best. There is not way to decide 02xx or 26xx before boot camp unless you go on a linguist contract (DC). As far as 21/31/51... what you do is going to be dictated by your duty station, not your MOS. All of us in the 26xx field have done at least some amount of "cross-MOS" work.....

Thread Information