More then just buddies
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

More then just buddies

Hi I'm Steve and I'm asking a question for two people, my partner Damien and I have both had an abiding love for the marine corps since both of us were young and growing up in separate parts of California, while we're both active supporters of the US military and the War in Iraq (in SanFran to boot, I know riight?) The only reason we haven't joined before now is DADT and the very real institutionalized intolerance for our way of life, now that the barrier is being removed we're both extremely serious about enlisting but we have questions before contact a recruiter and was hoping the experienced marines of the leatheneck forums could help us out.

1. Would it be possible for us to do the buddy program together? It's not that we can't handle being separated but we both want to go so we might as well just go together right?

2. Is the marine corps making any active adjustments for gay and lesbian marines in marriages/domestic partnerships/civil unions where both spouses are in the military? I heard something about an "80 mile rule" for straight couples, how does that work?"

3. What's the straight word (so to speak) on hate in the corps? Damien and I aren't exactly loud and proud but we don't hide who we are and while we expect a certain amount of flak for it the media depicts the corps as being hyper masculine and extremely homophobic, do you think the homophobes are just projecting?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Steve and Damien

You've obviously lost your mind.

Nits make lice. Therefore, goodbye.

Steve,

There's nothing that should keep you from doing the buddy program, 'nothing has changed' with the repeal (as in behavior and treatment and barracks) same-sex partnerships are NOT recognized at the federal level, so the military will not extend benefits to same-sex spouses married in states that allow it. Which is kind of hypocritical, as civilian employees can share the benefits with THEIR same-sex civil partner.

As for bigotry and homophobia in the Corps, well I can't say too much about that asides from the fact that the Corps is chock full of teenaged boys who joined to fulfill a masculine urge and don't usually react well when something shakes their worldview.

It might be a while before they settle down, but it will happen.

Go for it, man. Be one of those pioneers in breaking down those walls of hate and bringing it into the mainstream. Personal courage in the face of adversity is a defining trait of being a Marine, be it male/female, black/white, officer/enlisted, gay/straight, grunt/pogue.
    Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Thread Information