Ex-Smoker Wanting To Join and Needing Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ex-Smoker Wanting To Join and Needing Advice

Hi there! I'm pretty brand new to the site so I'll go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Jasmine and I'm hoping to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserves and go to boot camp by February 2012 at the latest and I would love for you all to answer my questions and provide advice, motivation, and encouragement.

Here's a little info about myself too so you guys can have a good idea of what kind of person I am and if I'm worth the time answering questions (LOL).

I've never been the most athletic person and I was the mean and aggressive fat girl growing up, but now I'm in my ideal weight range and not currently "fit". I did play softball and have taken several martial arts courses (Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Shaolin). I have a full-time job that pays decent and I'm slowly finishing school to get my BA in Multimedia Design and Development. Despite my current goals, I have ALWAYS wanted to be in the service. Ever since I graduated from HS, it's always been in the back of my mind, but I was never ready for it until now. I was torn between USAF or the Marines and find myself going back and forth at times but I have decided to join the Marines because I want to be a part of the best and not settle in my normal comfort zone like I have been all my life.
    I want to be Marine because there's so much about myself that I have not tapped into and I truely believe that becoming a Marine will give me access to qualities about myself that I never knew existed. I also want to be able to volunteer to be a part of FET because I think they're doing a great thing by reaching out and making a difference for Afghani women. It sets a great example for women in countries that deprive them of many rights and I would love the opportunity to inspire those women. Another reason I want to join is more personal... My grandfather was a 2-Star General in the South Korean army and served alongside many American soldiers and Marines during the Korean War and I want to make him proud. Those are very big shoes to fill and no one in my family other than him has served so I will be the first of the grand kids to serve. I also want to join to service so that I can get a discount at my school and use whatever bonus money I merit to help pay for it.

Now don't let the decent grammar fool you. I was the type chick that would constantly get thrown out of bars and night clubs for fighting (when I was 18-23)and of course I've clean up my act since then , but I will never turn down a good fight

(Sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel. I have a bad habit of being too detailed)

1.So now to the questions.I'm training right now and it's been difficult being that I smoked cancer sticks (went from Newports to Kools to Camel Crushes) since I was 16 (I'm 24 going on 25 in August) and my lungs are not in the best shape. Running is my main concern at this time. I can jog 1/4 mile without stopping, but then it's downhill from there. Is there anything I can do to ease the burn in my lungs and will I be at a big disadvantage at boot camp because I'm an ex smoker? What are the main things I want to focus on as far as training?

2. I AM a female so I have to ask this question. Will I be able to wear make up on graduation day (if I prove myself worthy of the title)?

3. I have a tattoo on my neck that is in the process of being removed and I have about 6 to 7 more sessions to go before it's completely gone. Should I wait before it's completely gone to talk to a recruiter or should I go ahead and set up an appointment with one anyway? I'm just afraid he/she won't take me seriously because of the tattoo.

4. Since I'm going to be a reservist, I'll have my regular full time job, but if I need to move to another state for another job will PCS-ing be easy because of my status or is that something that will be difficult to do?

Thanks to all that take time to read this and answer my questions. I hope to hear from you guys soon.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    i wish this was even remotely convincing. But its not, alas

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    the daughter of a 2 star South Korean general who already knows the term PCS, for some reason, which they probably dont use in the South Korean military.
    Kinda new to the site, yes, one post would mean that, yes.
    and the inevitable tattoo question and the makeup on graduation day, now that is a real concern and not something a troll would post
    is there anything else the young lady can cover in one post?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    That's an incredible post Jasmine. You've led an interesting life so far. Most of your questions would best be answered by a woman Marine. But I have one for you. Your grandfather was a two star in the S. Korean army during the Korean War and you stated you'd like to make him proud? Is he still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by vividadikkshunz View Post
    .... my lungs are not in the best shape. Running is my main concern at this time. I can jog 1/4 mile without stopping, but then it's downhill from there. Is there anything I can do to ease the burn in my lungs
    Get out the car and hike.

Walk for groceries and carry them home on your back. Walk for videos, walk or bike to your job or school even if it takes hours; it wont last forever. Humans can gain fitness without running or gasping for wind, constant activity and endurance will payoff. Your damaged lung tissue will rejuvenate.... but it takes a long time. 2 and 1/2 years without tobacco after using it for about 30 years and my lungs are still healing

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    jasmine, were you around last night by any chance, reading anything before it got deleted?
    I can picture you hurriedly Googling South Korean 2 star generals' names, but cant tell why I get that impression
    I wondered if you are "related" to any of the participants last evening prior to their making their various exits

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Jasmine have you talked with a recruiter yet? PCS, not a lot of civilians know that term in fact there are some in the military who are not all that familiar with it

Quote Originally Posted by HarperJim View Post
    the daughter of a 2 star South Korean general who already knows the term PCS, for some reason, which they probably dont use in the South Korean military.
    Kinda new to the site, yes, one post would mean that, yes.
    and the inevitable tattoo question and the makeup on graduation day, now that is a real concern and not something a troll would post
    is there anything else the young lady can cover in one post?
    I work for AAFES HQ in Dallas, TX so I'm somewhat knowlegable of military terms. Plus I was married to someone that was in the Army back in 2006. I was 19 at the time so that obviously didn't last (LOL). And yes it's a real concern. I don't want to waste the recruiters time and mine if he's going to tell me to come back when the tattoo is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    That's an incredible post Jasmine. You've led an interesting life so far. Most of your questions would best be answered by a woman Marine. But I have one for you. Your grandfather was a two star in the S. Korean army during the Korean War and you stated you'd like to make him proud? Is he still alive?

Thank you! I want to sound as educated as possible on here so I don't get torn apart too bad (LOL). Yes he's still alive, but he's getting up there in the years. I'm hoping to earn my title while he's still around. His name is General Sun Ha Lim. The last name I have is my mom's maiden to explain the discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by vividadikkshunz View Post
    I work for AAFES HQ in Dallas, TX so I'm somewhat knowlegable of military terms. Plus I was married to someone that was in the Army back in 2006. I was 19 at the time so that obviously didn't last (LOL). And yes it's a real concern. I don't want to waste the recruiters time and mine if he's going to tell me to come back when the tattoo is gone.
    Since the current lead time in DEP is about a year, I have my doubts the recruiter would tell you to go away and come back when it is done. He/She will just document it and continue on.

If you are real, go talk to a recruiter. If not, then just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by HarperJim View Post
    jasmine, were you around last night by any chance, reading anything before it got deleted?
    I can picture you hurriedly Googling South Korean 2 star generals' names, but cant tell why I get that impression
    I wondered if you are "related" to any of the participants last evening prior to their making their various exits
    LOL!! No I wasn't online last night, but I could imagine that must've been entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Get out the car and hike.

Walk for groceries and carry them home on your back. Walk for videos, walk or bike to your job or school even if it takes hours; it wont last forever. Humans can gain fitness without running or gasping for wind, constant activity and endurance will payoff. Your damaged lung tissue will rejuvenate.... but it takes a long time. 2 and 1/2 years without tobacco after using it for about 30 years and my lungs are still healing

Great advice! Thanks for taking the time to reply

Oh, about makeup and photos: Gimp 2.6! It's not exactly Adobe Lightroom $$$ {superimposed tiger stripe camo face painting} but it's easier to learn and very free

We've had a 'troll/lice' problem around here the past few days so please don't take some of our responses as being nasty.

The smoking thing will heal on it's own if you didn't smoke that long. Seriously, your lungs regenerate. If you didn't smoke for many years, sometimes after 30 days 'smoke free' your lungs are back to 90 percent.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    We've had a 'troll/lice' problem around here the past few days so please don't take some of our responses as being nasty.

The smoking thing will heal on it's own if you didn't smoke that long. Seriously, your lungs regenerate. If you didn't smoke for many years, sometimes after 30 days 'smoke free' your lungs are back to 90 percent.

Welcome aboard by the way.
    Thank you and no worries! I'm sure there are plenty of idiots that have nothing better to do than to harass marines on a message board because they would be way too scared to harass a marine in person so you guys should take it as a compliment

Phew! I thought my lungs would be done for because of those nasty Newports! I hope I can get my lungs good in 30 days then that would be a blessing. I really want to serve so bad and it would haunt me for the rest of my life if I couldn't pass the ist because of my ex habit.

Thread Information