Medical waivers
Create Post

Thread: Medical waivers

Medical waivers

I was just wondering what the sucess rate is on getting medical waivers approved? I know it depends on exactly what medical condition you put the waiver out for, but in general do alot of poolees end up making it into the USMC with a waiver? My case is that i have bad astigmatism and I had to fill out a waiver to basically beg the Corp to take me after failing on the autorefractor test at MEPS. I'm perfectly healthy, never broken a bone in my body and passed everything else at MEPS just fine. If you or anyone you know has gone through this and actually made it in please let me know. I need the Corps!

Not sure, but as a heads up you need to fill out your profile before the Marines will give you an answer.

A bunch of guys from my platoon had waivers. Don't remember how many of them were medical. But at least 1/8 of the platoon (estimate) had some sort of waiver.

alright thanks man, just filled out my profile.

Question about this thread. I am in the same situation as Bmirabito and need a waiver for astigmatism. I have submitted my request for a waiver already back in February and it is now end of June. I was wondering how long does a waiver take? I asked my recruiter and he said its takes about 3 months but its already ~4-5 months since then.

My medical waiver was for a surgery repair and I had my surgeon say that I was perfectly fine for military duty. My waiver was accepted in less than a week. Just stay on your recruiter and they`ll get it done quick. Hope it works out for you.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i didnt have a waiver for my eyes, i have severe astigmatism but i didnt need a waiver for it because as long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 then i think your fine. If not they might take you but certain jobs will be out of reach, dont know if this is true or not. i did get a waiver for having a plate and 4 screws in my shoulder, i know that if i didn't have full mobility in my shoulder then i wouldn't have been able to DEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Kuzmicz View Post
    i didnt have a waiver for my eyes, i have severe astigmatism but i didnt need a waiver for it because as long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 then i think your fine. If not they might take you but certain jobs will be out of reach, dont know if this is true or not. i did get a waiver for having a plate and 4 screws in my shoulder, i know that if i didn't have full mobility in my shoulder then i wouldn't have been able to DEP.
    I'd think that this would be the case but just make sure your recruiter and the doctor at MEPS are fully aware of the problem.

I was d'qued in early January and didn't get my waiver until mid-May. So waivers can take a long time. My boyfriend also had to get a waiver and his took 5 months as well.

I would suggest that you just keep working out like crazy and stay in contact with your recruiter atleast every other week. This will show your motivated and may help with your waiver.

Good Luck

I stayed on my recruiter's ass everyday and he called whoever it is he had to call in order to hurry up the process. As soon as I had my waiver, a few days later, I went to MEPS the very next week. Hope you get your waiver man.. I know the wait for it sucks.

They take as long as they take...LOL. I realize it's frustrating but that's just the way it is.

Consider anything under 90 days to be 'fast'.

HAHA thank you Marines for the answers. Hopefully I will become one of the world's best fighting force.

Thread Information