looking for someone who has been there..
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

looking for someone who has been there..

hey, first of i am a poolee and i don't actually know the 3 fields required to fill out as a poolee on this site but i have already been thru meps and taken the asvab (not in that order of course)

anyways when i was a junior in highschool they came through and had us take the asvab, i scored a 69 on it my first round. i was 16 at the time and it didn't count.. the second time i took it(about a month ago) i got a 59.. reason being.. i hadn't been in a math class in two years..

why am i saying this all?? because i scored 126/130 on my mechanics part and i love working on cars so i signed up for aviation mechanics but my hearts desire is to drive or be a crewmen in a hmmwv.. so i said screw that i will do what i want not what some test says i am good at.. anyways my question is, is this a bad choice of a mos in the corps??

Quote Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
    hey, first of i am a poolee and i don't actually know the 3 fields required to fill out as a poolee on this site but i have already been thru meps and taken the asvab (not in that order of course)

anyways when i was a junior in highschool they came through and had us take the asvab, i scored a 69 on it my first round. i was 16 at the time and it didn't count.. the second time i took it(about a month ago) i got a 59.. reason being.. i hadn't been in a math class in two years..

why am i saying this all?? because i scored 126/130 on my mechanics part and i love working on cars so i signed up for aviation mechanics but my hearts desire is to drive or be a crewmen in a hmmwv.. so i said screw that i will do what i want not what some test says i am good at.. anyways my question is, is this a bad choice of a mos in the corps??
    It depends on which headgame you want in garrison. 1) Aviation, you will be working long hours at times. But, for the most part, they wont mess with you and you get better chow. 2) Motor-T, there is more down time, so they fill it with busy work and silly head games.

Pick your poison son.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    It depends on which headgame you want in garrison. 1) Aviation, you will be working long hours at times. But, for the most part, they wont mess with you and you get better chow. 2) Motor-T, there is more down time, so they fill it with busy work and silly head games.

Pick your poison son.

okay let me re-phrase that.. i know being in aviation sucks unless thats what you want, the only reason i picked aviation mechanics was because i am really good on cars and figured planes woulnd't be much harder.. but what i really have always wanted to do is drive the hmmwv's. what my question was just simply to anyone who has been there.. did you regret it? would you change your mos knowing what you know now??

i know joining motor-t doesn't mean you are a driver i beleive they train you on everything.. light matinence to gunner/turret positions

Go Aviation and get your A&P License. You will make good money when you get out.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Go Aviation and get your A&P License. You will make good money when you get out.
    thanks for your time and responses but you aren't understanding what i was asking.. i am asking for someone who has been either been through motor-t or is in it right now i want to see what they have to say..

if i misunderstood and that person is you i appologize.

I worked on the ground side and the aviation side. As a Heavy Equipment Operator, I was very familiar with our Motor T unit and what they did. When I went to the wing, I turned wrenches on aircraft. So.... I am familiar with both elements.

Look kid, this is the deal. If you go Motor T you'll be driving big trucks, not hummers. You may or may not work on them. When you aren't working on them, or driving them, your bosses (NCO's and above) will be finding stupid things for you to do with your down time.

In aviation, you'll work long hours (probably longer than Motor T) but have, in the end, the satisfaction of seeing your work actually FLY out of there the next day. You'll have less mind games and less people jerking you around, because you'll be considered a 'technician' at a higher level and thus deserving of more 'down' time. In the end, you'll likely, if you are as smart as you say you are, have more job satisfaction day to day than just driving a truck.

Quite frankly, I never saw Motor T driving hummers. And the higher echelon that 'fixed' them, when they got them they were so beat to crap they didn't get much of a chance to actually 'fix' them, as they were pretty well destroyed, so they got sent to the boneyard.

You still have some time to go with this, but PAY ATTENTION to the older Marines here....they know what they are talking about, otherwise they don't answer the questions!

i know being in aviation sucks unless thats what you want
    How do you know this? Because that's what you've heard OTHER people say? You've never been in the wing, much less the Marine Corps. Everything is what you make it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HUMVEE drivers are randomly selected individuals from your unit who have attended a short operator school. The driver is not an MOS. The grunts have drivers, motor-t has drivers, the wing has drivers etc.

Exactly. Heck, I had a freakin Jeep license, Hummvee license, and some other crap I can't remember. Had nothing to do with 'Motor T'. I always looked at those guys beating on tires and went "God love ya brother...but not for me".

okay let me re-phrase that.. i know being in aviation sucks unless thats what you want, the only reason i picked aviation mechanics was because i am really good on cars and figured planes woulnd't be much harder.. but what i really have always wanted to do is drive the hmmwv's. what my question was just simply to anyone who has been there.. did you regret it? would you change your mos knowing what you know now??

i know joining motor-t doesn't mean you are a driver i beleive they train you on everything.. light matinence to gunner/turret positions

Being in aviation sucks? Wonder who has told you that. I am a 6217, F/A 18 powerline mechanic, and in all honesty, I would never change my job. We work 10 hours a day, 5 days a week in my squadron. Sometimes we work more and almost never will you work less then that. The days are hot as hell (currently averaging over 100 degrees) and you do all of the boot jobs when you get there. The reason I would never change it is because once you get your plane captain, you have the final say in a jet flying. We do the inspections on the aircraft, if I say its good enough to fly, I sign my name saying that a multimillion doller aircraft is good enough to fly. If I happen to miss something and the jet goes down, I could go to jail. I personally LOVE that responsiblity. We also launch the aircraft out which is definally one of the best parts of my job, we get really close to the pilots, they trust me, and all my fellow powerliners with there lives. We control the flight line and are responsible for everyone. The job is defentially crappy at times, dont get me wrong, but the pay off is good in my honest opinion. Like you were told before, you are able to get your A&P lic. after 2 and half years in the fleet. That is very important when looking for a job in the civilian world. You can make over 70k a year starting at many places if you have a good amount of knowledge coming out. The basic jobs boot jobs that you will do all the time are also used in the civilian world. My buddy is actually applying for a job where basically all he is going to do is tow jets and make around 35k a year doing it. Something so simple that you will become a master at will make you a good amount of money. Keep is mind, this is all WITHOUT a college degree. Dont regret your decision, take all the knowledge you can in, put 100% forward in school and in the fleet, and you will soon find yourself doing really cool stuff. I dont allow my Cpls to do anything that I can, which gives you respect and gets everyone off your back, no one will mess with you. Keep your nose clean and do your best and you will enjoy it.

Alright so all you need to do is become a marine first! Focus on that. Pick a MOS you think you will want to do for the next 4-5 yrs. If you want to be in for 4 yrs go Motor T. If you want 5 go wing. I was a 6062 Pneumatic/Hydraulic mechanic. But as always I am a marine above all. I was perfectly happy fixing helo's when my SSgt showed up and said who wants to go to Iraq. Well guess who wanted to go? This guy. But guess what this guy was doin!? Security battalion with MWSS-274. I ended up being a vehicle commander equipped with an M249 squad automatic. Along with that I also drove and worked on the "Hummers". Haha. anyways. pick and a MOS you want based on what you like to do. Then see what plans the corps has for you!

Thread Information