"A" and "C" school For Air Crew training
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation "A" and "C" school For Air Crew training

Hello, this is my first post on this website, I have gotten very accurate and good information off here before. I have been looking into the AG contract enlisted aircrew chief, and my question is under the requirements found on http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/6174.htm (link and MOS for example) I am curious what are the "A" , and "C" schools? Found next to numbers (9) and (10) on the link above.
    Also if you guys don't mind me asking, I had another question to go along with this one as well. That is do crew chiefs know how to work on the helicopter, or airplane enough to get a good starting ground for a civilian transfer job.

Thank you.

You already posted this question in the "ask a Marine" section, Quit double posting cause that **** doesn't fly around here, Rah?

Understood just thought my question wouldn't get answered here cause mostly for Poolees so I re posted in "Ask a Marine"

Not sure exactly, but I think A school is a general crew chief school, I think it's called NACCS and C school will teach you what you need to know about the specific bird you're assigned to.

That or A school is a general overview of the bird you're assigned to and C school is in depth about a certain system like powerplant, hydraulics, etc.

Don't be a dick, he's just trying to figure this stuff out. He might be flying your azz around one day.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    From what i've gathered from my recruiter (whos also in the air wing), every aviation Marine goes through an A, B, and C school. Since the crew chief track is a drop on request option, if you decide to stop somewhere in the middle of these schools, your job gets based on how much schooling you've completed. So it probably starts out as basic mechanics, and then gets gradually more complex, until you complete all of your schools and get your flight syllabus or something like that, then you're a crew chief.

Thank you both to PNW2011 and Buhler, Both answers basically answered what I wanted to know. Also Buhler thank you again, your answer also helped me in another question. Because if I decide to leave the Corps one day I would like to come out with a basic knowledge of working on either, fixed wing or helicopters

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    well your AG contract is really only rotor wing, since the only jobs included in that are crew chief positions. but coming out of the Corps with x years of crew chief experience under your belt is definitely a good thing to have in the private sector.

if you dont believe me:

http://jobs.usnews.com/a/all-jobs/li...nce+crew+chief

Quote Originally Posted by Buhler View Post
    well your AG contract is really only rotor wing, since the only jobs included in that are crew chief positions. but coming out of the Corps with x years of crew chief experience under your belt is definitely a good thing to have in the private sector.

if you dont believe me:

http://jobs.usnews.com/a/all-jobs/li...nce+crew+chief
    Sweet thank you I was trying to locate a site like that to see what job fields a profession like that would open up on the out side.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ok here's the breakdown on Aircrew. I was a a former Aircrew student until I got reclassed for an injury. "A" school is a 19 day PT school in "wonderful" Pensacola, Fl. You don't do anything but PT. You will sit in MAT division for a while, usually 2 months, before you class up. You can get DOR from the school and get stuck with the Needs of the Corps. Injuries are all too common. I'm a reclass for a knee injury. I hope you know how to swim because you will be reclassed if you can't. "C" school is an aircraft specific school. All but two are on the East Coast. Hueys are in San Diego and C-130s are in Little Rock. If you have any questions let me know.

P.S. I know my profile says that I'm a poolee but I've been in the Marine Corps since September 2010. I haven't gotten it changed so that I can answer threads in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayo View Post
    Ok here's the breakdown on Aircrew. I was a a former Aircrew student until I got reclassed for an injury. "A" school is a 19 day PT school in "wonderful" Pensacola, Fl. You don't do anything but PT. You will sit in MAT division for a while, usually 2 months, before you class up. You can get DOR from the school and get stuck with the Needs of the Corps. Injuries are all too common. I'm a reclass for a knee injury. I hope you know how to swim because you will be reclassed if you can't. "C" school is an aircraft specific school. All but two are on the East Coast. Hueys are in San Diego and C-130s are in Little Rock. If you have any questions let me know.

P.S. I know my profile says that I'm a poolee but I've been in the Marine Corps since September 2010. I haven't gotten it changed so that I can answer threads in this forum.
    Sweet thank you for the info. And I have a couple questions so so I get to pick the specific air craft? Say I want UH Huey like do they ask or are you?
    assigned?
    And how "hard core" is the 19 day PT A school?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The PT is hard but not torture. It's a lot of running and stress sets. Once you graduate and it comes time to get your orders, the school will be given a certain number of slots to fill per aircraft. Say they have 4 Huey spots to fill, they'll ask who wants it. The remainder of the class pick from the other spots that need to be filled. It's not unusual for a whole class to get assigned the same aircraft so don't go into the school banking on getting your dream platform.

Okay, yeah I have done other research and I have found that little to no one gets the actual aircraft that they want.

And if possible by memory could you give me a typical day at A school?

Credits
    Savings
    Typical day, depends on what week in training you are. First week is all PT. From 6 until 9 you run, push and sweat. The afternoon is spent at the pool doing swim qualifications. You must pass them to be in aircrew, so if you can't swim you better learn before bootcamp or think of another MOS. It's a break off but it's only that first week that's PT intensive. Week 2 is random **** like first aid, helo dunker, low pressure chamber and life raft operations. 3 week is the same **** plus graduation. I'm getting ready to graduate so questions about a school you can send them my way....

Thank you that helps a lot. How hard is swim qual. Because I would consider my self an average swimmer I mean I spend a lot of time at the river boating and what not, I practically grew up there, and of course i'm going to swim a lot before boot and in that 10 day off after boot and what not. I just want to know what i need to practice, also what kind of swimming, like combat stroke, regular swimming, underwater, treading water?

Credits
    Savings
    Make sure you can tread water for atleast 10 minutes in a swimsuit because you'll be treading water for 2 minutes and survival floating for 7 in full gear (flight suit, vest, helmet, gloves and boots) make sure you know basic breast stroke and side stroke. Dive 15 meters distance. It's not hard, but some peope drop out and that would suck after waiting so long to class up only to fail and get reclassed with some other MOS.

Thread Information