Attention Viet Nam Veterans - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    We relied on one Office Poogie sitting inside the Battalion CP typing up in our SRB's while reading after action reports of the day...how many LT's did you see sitting down writing into his little book after a fire fight I never did, when would he find the time. Most of the time he wrote things down long after coming back in, hours later, memories from the human mind are unreliable ever 30 minuets, the mind makes changes to the events.
    That's how I found out about CAR, a clerk at Lejuene was wearing one!!!(daniel allen)

Good Marines

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    My father told me the criteria for a PH during WWII (or at least in the 6th Marines) was your enemy caused wound had to be treated at the BAS and you had to spend at least 24-hours under medical care. Dad said had he turned into the BAS every time he was wounded, he could have potentially received over 12 Purple Hearts.

However, he just fixed himself, got a buddy, or the platoon Corpsman to do it. The only time he was evacuated to the BAS was for a concussion suffered when his patrol was struck by "friendly" naval 5" gunfire. Luckily, he was the only one hurt and was back in action in a couple of days. No PH as it was "friendly fire."

Funny thing is he spent about four-months in a Naval Hospital back in the States having hundreds of tiny pieces of Japanese fragmentation taken out of his hide, but still no PH since there was no BAS record of his wounds.

He didn't really seem to care. I guess making it through Saipan and Tinian alive was good enough for him.
    Zulu Your dad was a good Marine. There was also a lot of good Marines in Vietnam. I know of 4 or 5 Marines who were at DaNang on there way home who heard we were in heavy contac with the NVA. They made there way back to our unit and faought untill the action was over then went home. 1 or 2 went home in coffen. Damn Good Marines

overseas service ribbon

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    Just Found this on Google:

Effective Dates
    The Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was made retroactive to August 15, 1974.
    Qualifying service performed between August 15, 1974 and January 1, 1979 may only be credited toward the initial award of the ribbon; subsequent to January 1, 1979 one award will be granted for each qualifying period.
    Criteria
    This ribbon is awarded to officers and enlisted personnel of the Navy, Naval Reserve, Marine Corps, and Marine Corps Reserve for 12 months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore-based duty stations.
    In the case of inactive reservists, the ribbon is awarded for 30 consecutive or 45 cumulative days of active duty training or temp-orary active duty at overseas stations, including deployed units and units homeported overseas.
    An individual cannot receive the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon for the same period, nor can the same period of time be used to earn eligibility for both the Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.
    Typical Govt response time. The medal was proposed in 1968 surely for VietVets then and retro!

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Whats this We Chit I don't know You from Jack Chit like too keep it that way Savvy
    you took the same words right out of my mouth,forget the Semper Fi!!!

Thread Information