Attention Viet Nam Veterans - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtThrasher View Post
    Thanks for posting the information Ellie,I've recently discovered the scoop on those awards we Vietnam Veterans rate.There was a article in Leatherneck to send your request to HQMC for the DD215 update that validates the awards.After several weeks I was informed by HQMC that my request was forwarded to NPRC St Louis,Mo for the DD215 and receive government acknowledgment.I'm still awaiting their reply. It's a shame that many Veterans have died unknowingly ,that they rated these awards and that some bureaucrat in Washington should be charged with ensuring all Vietnam Vets receive a DD215 reflecting the awards they are entitled.
    Sgt, How long you been waiting?

Last edited by fasteropr; 02-12-10 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fasteropr View Post
    Sgt, How long you been waiting?
    About 3 months since I mailed the request to HQMC. Hurry up and wait must apply ,plus plenty of government red tape.

It took me over a year to hear back from St. Louis. Then not everything was correct on my DD-215

That's about what I expect to receive too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Update:

The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry can be an individual or unit award for bravery in combat. For unit awards the RVN government distinguished between units serving in combat support of the Republic and in civic action support (or both) awarding the RVN Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Unit Citation to combat units and the the RVN Civic Actions Honor Medal, First Class, Unit Citation to logistic units. According to the Department of the Army General Order DA GO 8 1974 the Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm was awarded to Headquarters U. S. Military Assistance Command (MACV) and all its subordinate units during the period 8 FEB 1962 to 28 MAR 1973. All military personnel who were assigned to units serving in-country Vietnam during this period were considered assigned to MACV and its subordinate units, regardless of service or component. Under DA GO 43 1970 the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry was awarded to all military personnel of all branches who served in-country Vietnam between 1 MAR 1961 and 28 MAR 1973 and to U.S. Army Vietnam and its subordinate units for the period 20 JUL 1965 to 28 MAR 1973. Both of these DAGOs should be listed in Army Pamphlet 672-3 which contains all units specifically cited and is the guideline used by NPRC for making corrections to DD-214s.

This is a foreign award that was issued by the Army of South Vietnam. When awarded to U.S. military personnel it was awarded with Silver Star (the equivalent to the US Army Silver Star) or with Bronze Star (equivalent to the US Bronze Star). It is also the equivalent of the French Croix de Guerre. When awarded to units it was always with Gold Palm. As with U.S. unit awards all personnel in the unit during the period of action for which the award is given may wear the award at all times. Individuals not in the unit during the designated period can wear the award only while assigned to the unit. As a foreign decoration the Vietnamese Cross may not be worn until the award is approved by the US Department of State. That approval is then passed to the Department of Army and a General Order for the award is published [i.e. DA GO 43 1970 & DA GO 8 1974]. If you never received a medal, ribbon, or certificate it cannot be reissued by NPRC since this is a foreign award However, amended discharge papers (DD-215) can be issued if the citation is not listed on your DD-214. If you want to confirm your eligibility you can request an amendment by submitting a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to the National Personnel Records Command (NPRC). This form can be downloaded at www.fra.org/links , http://members.aol.com/forvets/htomr.htm , or http://www.archives.gov/facilities/m..._form_180.html. Veterans who cannot access the Internet may call 1-800-FRA-1924 to request the form. Further information is also available from your local VA office.

Any individual who wants to have their awards and decorations reviewed and a replacement (one-time) set issued can write to: NPRC, 9700 Page Avenue, St Louis, MO 63132-5000.

Upon receipt NPRC will access the appropriate records, attach the request, and send the case to AFPC to work. Include name, Service Number, SSAN, inclusive dates in the service, DD Forms 214 if available, and current mailing address. Ask that the records be reviewed for additional unit or individual awards and decorations not reflected on the DD Form 214, correction of the DD Form 214, and issuance of a complete replacement set of awards and decorations if desired. Veterans should expect to wait at least four-six months for a response.

Any request for changes to a DD Form 214 should be accompanied by the necessary documents to substantiate the claim. Questions regarding Air Force awards/decorations can be emailed to Georgia.Wise@randolph.af.mil. Queries on verification cannot be answered unless your request was previously submitted in writing with the requester's signature to NPRC. Many vets never received their Vietnam Cross of Gallantry who were eligible. The medal and ribbon can be viewed at www.campeagle101.com. A certificate suitable for framing can be purchased for a fee at CampEagle101@aol.com.
    [Source: Armed Forces News 3 JAN 03, FRA News-Bytes 0 JAN 03
    VWV President Claire Starnes, www.campeagle101.com & http://members.aol.com/bn61st/vcg.htm]

Why would the overseas navy/mc medal only retro to 1974? Crazy logic??

So.are Vietnam Vets entitled to wear RVN PUC???

Rvn Civil Action

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    THE R.V.N.CIVAL ACTION MEDAL,MERITORIOUS UNIT AWARD;ALSO WAS AWARDED TO CERTAIN UNIT'S IN A FIRST CLASS,DESIGNATION...THAT WAS EARNED THE HARD WAY,NOT JUST BEING IN COUNTRY!!!
    what's the difference?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Ist Class Medal Or Ribbon has 2 Burgandy little stripes down the Middle from top too bottom. Just a Different Designation.Alot of Marines wear it But don't rate the 1ST Class version it was a Medal from the Vietnamese Peeps that's all.But an Honor from Them too Us.

Thanks for response. I looked it up,because DD-215 states I rate it as Scout/interpreter! Semper Fi!!!

people

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    The Ist Class Medal Or Ribbon has 2 Burgandy little stripes down the Middle from top too bottom. Just a Different Designation.Alot of Marines wear it But don't rate the 1ST Class version it was a Medal from the Vietnamese Peeps that's all.But an Honor from Them too Us.
    Fist how could it be an Honor from them to us? What would have been a Honor for them is fight for there own country but no they had us as in USA do there fighting for them. There were a few good units that would fight. Vietnam Marines, there army Rangers and thew 1st army division. I have more respect for the VC and NVA than I do for them.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hear what your saying Sarge,but it wasn't from the ARVNS,If you look at the Medal it was from the South Vietnamese People.Not the Military it was from the Civilians that We left Hanging when We left.Like the Orphans and such.S/F

WE didnt leave the people hanging, our govt. did!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I Know that don't need a History Lesson I Was There with My Ass in the Grass

As long as WE are clear about this!

Thread Information