Attention Viet Nam Veterans - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That"s what I thought Gunny

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi170
    If I remember correctly, if they are awarded as a unit award (which means you wear the frame around the ribbon), you do not wear the medal. You would have had to receive the awards as personal to wear the medal. That was the info given to us in DI School in 1973.
    This is correct. Also, if the Gallantry Cross was awarded as a personal award, the ribbon is worn without a frame. It is possible to wear both, with and without a frame.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THE R.V.N.CIVAL ACTION MEDAL,MERITORIOUS UNIT AWARD;ALSO WAS AWARDED TO CERTAIN UNIT'S IN A FIRST CLASS,DESIGNATION...THAT WAS EARNED THE HARD WAY,NOT JUST BEING IN COUNTRY!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Hum

Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon

Click here to buy this medal/ribbon

a. Authorization. OPNAVNOTE 1650 of 3 June 1987.

b. Eligibility Requirements

(1) General. Awarded to officers and enlisted personnel of the United States Navy, United States Naval Reserve, United States Marine Corps and United States Marine Corps Reserve. Each service has distinct criteria that delineates eligibility; Navy personnel assigned to Marine Corps units follow Marine Corps policy, and vice versa.

(2) Specific

(a) Active Duty Personnel: 12-months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore base duty station.

(b) Inactive Reservists: 30 consecutive days or 45 cumulative days of active duty for training, annual training (AT), or TAD at overseas duty stations, including deployed units and units homeported overseas. Travel time and weekend training does not count.

Note: For overseas domiciled Inactive Reservists, 30 consecutive days of AT or IDT must be completed, or a combination of 45 cumulative days of AT or IDT in a billet with an established Overseas Naval Reserve Unit or as a member of the Overseas Peacetime (Contributory) Support Program (for accounting purposes, two IDT periods equal 1 day of AT).

(c) Overseas is defined as duty outside the United States (Mainland Alaska and Hawaii are not eligible duty stations) at shore base commands. Service in Adak, Alaska does qualify. For active duty personnel, duty on board CONUS-based, deploying ships, squadrons, units or with the FMF does not qualify.

(3) Initial and subsequent awards. Qualifying service performed between 15 August 1974 and 1 January 1979 will be credited only toward the initial award of the ribbon. Subsequent to 1 January 1979, one award for each qualifying period.

(4) Restrictions and Waivers. An individual cannot receive the SSDR and OSR for the same period if stationed at a Marine Corps Unit; overseas Navy commands may receive both awards after 01 October 1999. In addition, the same period of time cannot be used to earn eligibility for both the Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.

(5) For active duty personnel not more than 14-days may be waived. For inactive reservists - no waiver. For posthumous awards, the time requirements may be waived by CNO/CMC in posthumous cases on a case by case basis.

(6) Personnel serving with the FMF, regular or reserve, do not qualify for this award.

(7) Awarding Authority. Commanding officers.

(8) Subsequent Awards. A 3/16-inch bronze star will denote subsequent awards.

NOTE: Reservists who were recalled to active duty, such as for Operation DESERT STORM, must fulfill requirements for active duty personnel. Any period of more than 90 days is considered active duty.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

hum GP, Nam vets

This is on Adobe reader file

Attached Files Attached Files

Credits
    Savings
    Images

More on different levels of the award

Vietnam Cross Of Gallantry Medal LMC-082P #71
    [LMC-082P]

Click to enlarge
    All Services. Comes complete with palm.

Criteria: A military decoration of South Vietnam established in August 1950. Awarded to any U.S. military personnel who have accomplished deeds of valor or displayed heroic conduct while fighting an enemy force. The medal is issued in four degrees with the basic medal followed by higher degrees the result of personal citations on an organizational level (also known as having been "mentioned in dispatches"). The degrees are as follows: Gallantry Cross with Palm (Individual Award); Gallantry Cross with Bronze Star (Regiment-level or Brigade-level citation); Gallantry Cross with Silver Star (Division-level citation); Gallantry Cross with Gold Star (Corps-level citation). The devices to the Gallantry Cross are not worn simultaneously but instead are upgradeable to the next higher device which would replace the previous device for wear on the decoration. The most common award is the Republic of Vietnam (RVN) Gallantry Cross Medal w/Palm – the individual award version.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Found 1 more artical on subject

Again, its Adobe file open and read other articles of interest too.

Attached Files Attached Files

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm so confused over my ribbons, It's worth it , just to give up. I had palms and stars and crap, Which my DD214 will never know.

My citation reads, "Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Color". gf

Marine Free Member larry warner's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

cross of gallantry

I didn't know that .Thanks. (Fly) A 1/26 marines vietnam 68-69.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

The Department of the Navy are always changing qualifications for decoration requirements during each new Presidential administration.

A lot of these ribbons were to make you and me feel good. Me, I don't like the ribbons from the Vietnamese government. I have a whole lot more respect for the VC and the NVA troops. Damn they were good troops.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I thought the Highest honor by the Gooks was the Bounty and the 3 Regts. they Assigned too paying 3/26 Back 4 Killing so many of the Mutha Fucers.Want Some Catsup with Your Fries Duragliter (lmfao) You Fucing Pogue

Foreign Decorations

I'm like you sparkie but now I have lots of time so I'm not going to give up trying to correct the errors on my DD-214. And folks might think I'm getting picky-and they'd be rite. God only knows how picky inspections were and how many ****ters I cleaned as a result. Now it's my turn. Someone on an earlier post I made regarding a certificate I received while in Nam for Viet Namese Jump Wings cited a MCO which stated that foreign decorations were NOT allowed to be worn on our uniform BECAUSE it was a FOREIGN DECORATION. This award was also awarded by the Vietnamese Govt and IS AUTHORIZED to be worn. Can someone explain the diff to me? The other question is: even if they cannot be worn on my uniform shouldn't they be included on my DD-214?

Thanks for posting the information Ellie,I've recently discovered the scoop on those awards we Vietnam Veterans rate.There was a article in Leatherneck to send your request to HQMC for the DD215 update that validates the awards.After several weeks I was informed by HQMC that my request was forwarded to NPRC St Louis,Mo for the DD215 and receive government acknowledgment.I'm still awaiting their reply. It's a shame that many Veterans have died unknowingly ,that they rated these awards and that some bureaucrat in Washington should be charged with ensuring all Vietnam Vets receive a DD215 reflecting the awards they are entitled.

Thread Information