http://www.amervets.com/replacement/other.htm

Sempers,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	f095 rvn medal.jpg‎
Views:	882
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1000  
    Last edited by thedrifter; 08-23-02 at 07:14 AM.

Roger,

Does it have to be primary next of kin (spouse) or can a child apply for it? Dad's entitled to the Korean War Service Medal, but the app can only be submitted by PNOK. I don't want to read on another honor dad earned, if I'll be bummed if I can't get it for him. Sorry, I know that sounds like a cop out to avoid looking.

Cool Sophora

Will check it out for you....but you should be able to obtain it....
    Will get back with you on that.....

Sempers,

Roger

Registered User Free Member DELTA2ALPHA's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Also same SECNAVINST.1650 authorizes RVN Civil Actions Unit Citation ribbon for same periods to all in country personal.

Check out pages 7/11-12 at

http://neds.nebt.dpds.mil/Directives/1650/seven.pdf

heres another ya might not know about It is the Vietnam PUC.
    If ya rate a USA PUC the VN PUC is presented for same actions/criteria http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/medsribs/rib48.htm
    heres is a list of Medals/awards and criteria
    http://www.navalhelicopterassn.org/medsribs/medals.htm

Registered User Free Member Laamie's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Am I reading or understading this correctly?

If being awarded the PUC, we than are qualifed for the Vietnamese PUC? Did not the Vietnam government have to award their PUC to a specific unit. I received the American PUC while being assigned to 1st MAW over a specific period of time. No metion of the Vietnamese PUC awrded to this unit over the same period of time.

The Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was established in 1987. Does or is this backdated to include the Vietnam era? Being in_country 13 months, does this meet the criteria for the award? If being awarded the Vietnamese Service Medal, does that award superceed the Oversears Service Ribbon (not stated under either criteria)?

I won't wear a ribbon 'til it is so stated on my DD-215. It does give me a specific award(s) I can inquire about in corospondece with either/or HQMC-Awards & Medals Branch and/or the St. Louis address.

S/F,
    Dick

Laamie, Good to see you!

Almost time for us to take that trip up that mountain?

This is the first time I heard of this ribbon, here's what I have listed on my dd214.

If I have two bronze stars on my PUC, does that mean I would have just as many stars on the Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation?

LOL

Credits
    Savings

I will be in San Diego Sept. 11-15th

The 14th, Duncan will be driving in from Moorepark. The rest of the time is open for me (hint, hint). I'll be staying at the Town & Country Hotel, which is near Mission Valley/ Fashion Valley & also known as Hotel Circle.

My flight arrives on the 11th around 1230 (a nooner bro), Flight 1855, United Airlines.

I will be going to the Deanza Trailer Park even if I have to low crawl all the way.

S/F,
    Dick

Laamie!

Make sure you register with your real name....

I know the place quite well. Got marrried there and have enjoyed some great times with Marines there at Charlies's a great place to eat, on the site. They have four/five mini-burgers for about a buck and beer on ice from the tub for a buck till about 7PM. Its sort of a sports bar, with pool table, giant screen TV, etc.

Nice place for families to eat, meet with folks and the waitress there (redhead) don't member her name, is good-to-go! LOL

I don't have any plans for those days, so might be able to make it. With six women in this household, can never tell what comes up. It would be good to meet you....

SF

Cook

Credits
    Savings

Good to go

e-mail me your telephone &/or pager number. Do I need to bring my photo alblums (may have photos you want for book)?

I haven't had a beer in over 14 years, I'll be a cheap dunk!

S/F,
    Dick

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nam Vets up! Bumped for those who werent around then.

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laamie
    If being awarded the PUC, we than are qualifed for the Vietnamese PUC? Did not the Vietnam government have to award their PUC to a specific unit. I received the American PUC while being assigned to 1st MAW over a specific period of time. No metion of the Vietnamese PUC awrded to this unit over the same period of time.

The Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was established in 1987. Does or is this backdated to include the Vietnam era? Being in_country 13 months, does this meet the criteria for the award? If being awarded the Vietnamese Service Medal, does that award superceed the Oversears Service Ribbon (not stated under either criteria)?

I won't wear a ribbon 'til it is so stated on my DD-215. It does give me a specific award(s) I can inquire about in corospondece with either/or HQMC-Awards & Medals Branch and/or the St. Louis address.

S/F,
    Dick
    Just Found this on Google:

Effective Dates
    The Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was made retroactive to August 15, 1974.
    Qualifying service performed between August 15, 1974 and January 1, 1979 may only be credited toward the initial award of the ribbon; subsequent to January 1, 1979 one award will be granted for each qualifying period.
    Criteria
    This ribbon is awarded to officers and enlisted personnel of the Navy, Naval Reserve, Marine Corps, and Marine Corps Reserve for 12 months consecutive or accumulated duty at overseas shore-based duty stations.
    In the case of inactive reservists, the ribbon is awarded for 30 consecutive or 45 cumulative days of active duty training or temp-orary active duty at overseas stations, including deployed units and units homeported overseas.
    An individual cannot receive the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon for the same period, nor can the same period of time be used to earn eligibility for both the Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon and the Overseas Service Ribbon.

Good info here, thanks.

Top. If not mistaken aren.t the RVN Gallantry Cross and the RVN Civil Action ribbons only.

If I remember correctly, if they are awarded as a unit award (which means you wear the frame around the ribbon), you do not wear the medal. You would have had to receive the awards as personal to wear the medal. That was the info given to us in DI School in 1973.

Thread Information