Enlisted Reserves to PLC
Create Post

Enlisted Reserves to PLC

Hello Marines,
    I am 17 looking in to joining the Marine Corps. I want to be and Officer but i want to be involved in the Marines before the middle of college. Would it be possible to enlist in the reserves and go to college after boot camp and apply to PLC from there?
    Thanks for your time! Jackson

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
    Hello Marines,
    I am 17 looking in to joining the Marine Corps. I want to be and Officer but i want to be involved in the Marines before the middle of college. Would it be possible to enlist in the reserves and go to college after boot camp and apply to PLC from there?
    Thanks for your time! Jackson

If you go to college and are accepted into PLC you'll attend the summer between your freshman and sophomore year then again between your sophomore and junior year. First year of college is very difficult, many transitions. Why do you want to go into the reserves, then go to college then go to PLC?

It would be 2 years before i would be able to go to the first summer session and i dont want to wait 4 years to earn the title Marine. Is it more difficult to get accepeted in to the PLC if you are a reservist?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
    It would be 2 years before i would be able to go to the first summer session and i dont want to wait 4 years to earn the title Marine. Is it more difficult to get accepeted in to the PLC if you are a reservist?
    Not a clue but if you're in a hurry then by all means enlist, earn the title and figure the rest out later. Good luck!!!

Just for you to think about, doing the Marine reserves is a very big responsibility. Juggling both your school work and reserve obligation can be very hard, especially when you are acclimating to both. You have to be able to set your priorities as you may have finals on a monday after being awake, literally, an entire drill weekend.

Also, depending on your deployment schedule you may have to drop everything for a year and go to the fight.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Just for you to think about, doing the Marine reserves is a very big responsibility. Juggling both your school work and reserve obligation can be very hard, especially when you are acclimating to both. You have to be able to set your priorities as you may have finals on a monday after being awake, literally, an entire drill weekend.

Also, depending on your deployment schedule you may have to drop everything for a year and go to the fight.
    Outstanding points!!!

Son either go enlisted active or reserve or go to college and go to PLC or when you graduate OCS. Don't try and have it all, life isn't like that.Pick one!

Thanks for the advice. if you dont mind i have one or two more questions. What are drill weekends like in the reserves? and if i am considering a career in the Marines is it smarter to become and Officer rather than enlist?

For the first question, well it depends on many factors the biggest being what your MOS will be and what unit you will be a part of.

Thread Information