Birth defect: Pectus Excavatum
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Birth defect: Pectus Excavatum

I was born with a defect known as pectus excavatum (my chest is caved in), and I had a few questions to ask, but first some background info regarding my chest:

The hole in my chest does not affect my breathing. About a year ago I went to the doctors and my lungs were working at full capacity. I had no knowledge that it wasn't supposed to be like that up until I was 13.

Now the questions:

1. Will I be able to join the Marines with this?
    a. If so, will I require a medical waiver?

2. Are there any Marines here who have pectus excavatum, and could you describe your experiences?

Any answers are appreciated, I am hoping to join the Marines in a year and I am trying to sort my problems out

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum

Jun 10 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Current chest wall malformation (754), including, but not limited to pectus excavatum (754.81), or pectus carinatum (754.82), if these conditions interfere with vigorous physical exertion, is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ry/a/lungs.htm

There are no doctors frequenting this website. If you have a medical question that hasn’t already been answered by searching the forums, you’ll have to contact a recruiting office. If they cannot answer your question, you may be directed to a medical representative from MEPS.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

Now the questions:

The Marines here have no idea if you'll be able to join the Marines.......or if you'll require a waiver and if it'll get approved or not.
    Your best bet is to talk with a recruiter face-to-face.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Alright, thanks. I guess I'm going to go visit a Recruiter soon...

Looks to me like a DQ though.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    I was born with a defect known as pectus excavatum (my chest is caved in), and I had a few questions to ask, but first some background info regarding my chest:

The hole in my chest does not affect my breathing. About a year ago I went to the doctors and my lungs were working at full capacity. I had no knowledge that it wasn't supposed to be like that up until I was 13.

Now the questions:

2. Are there any Marines here who have pectus excavatum, and could you describe your experiences?

Any answers are appreciated, I am hoping to join the Marines in a year and I am trying to sort my problems out
    Go talk to a recruiter to get some information. He or she can call MEPS that day or the next and get guidance for you straight from the horse's mouth. My experience tells me that you will have to provide medical records for your condition and that MEPS will want to preview them before you go to take a physical.

After the preview they will say "yes, send him up for his physical" or "no, needs higher review" (meaning you are disqualified).

Talking to a recruiter does not mean you have to join. Put your fear aside and pursue your goals.

I have seen Marines with this kind of chest. This was many years ago, so I do not know if it is doable or not. Never saw a lot of this, but saw a few.

Asked, answered, closed.

Thread Information