Questions before i enlist?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions before i enlist?

Ive been talking to my Marine recruiter back and forth for months now, the MOS i want to get is Reconnaissance Man and he said there are spots available.

He wants me to workout with him and the poolee's but i have to sign up first, now im just about to get started into my senior year and my parents dont want me to sign up yet, they want me to get about halfway into my senior year. I understand that but the chances of getting Recon will narrow down as slots get filled up. Ive takin the ASVAB and i made a AFQT Score of 45, which is nothing special but my recruiter wants me to get it to atleast a 60 before enlistment, which is do able.

My question is should i sign up now? or wait and keep hitting up the gym 5 times a week and work on my education with the risk of not getting recon?

Much obliged, Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by RECON305 View Post
    Ive been talking to my Marine recruiter back and forth for months now, the MOS i want to get is Reconnaissance Man and he said there are spots available.

He wants me to workout with him and the poolee's but i have to sign up first, now im just about to get started into my senior year and my parents dont want me to sign up yet, they want me to get about halfway into my senior year. I understand that but the chances of getting Recon will narrow down as slots get filled up. Ive takin the ASVAB and i made a AFQT Score of 45, which is nothing special but my recruiter wants me to get it to atleast a 60 before enlistment, which is do able.

My question is should i sign up now? or wait and keep hitting up the gym 5 times a week and work on my education with the risk of not getting recon?

Much obliged, Hunter

I would not rush into anything. The Army pulled this BS with me. All branches do. Remember this. They have a quota they have to meet. No matter how nice the recruiter is he is not your friend. Now if YOU really want to be Recon. Then jump on it. Make sure that is what YOU want. Do not let your parents decide your future for you. YOU are the one who has to live it and they are concerned with your well being and not with your self gratification. Make sure this is what you want and realize what you are getting yourself into. The Marine Corps is no joke but if I were a young man today it is the path I would take.

PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum (double posting isn't allowed)......and you may want to read the site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Credits
    Savings
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH

You think you want Recon, You have Zero Idea what your getting into or should i say, not getting into. First all the "Recon spot" you speak of is a list of criteria you have to meet before you get to SOI. You will go to boot camp, you must acquire a high first class pft and a swim qual 1. right there 99% of the "Recon Spot" recruiters keep selling are lost. After boot camp you check into SOI and You will go to ITB (Infantry Training BN) and go through that course, THEN they screen for Recon and do a INDOC. You make it through all of that and your security clearance comes back then you go to Basic Reconnaissance School for well, a very long time... IF you make it through ALL of that which you problably wont, then you will check into a Recon Unit and begin to be hazed for the next few years while you earn your place. You should have searched every gung ho poolie that comes on here thinks they want to be recon and they all "say" they can handle it. You probably have zero idea what its really like, its NOTHING like i now your thinking and You probably think im being a jerk but im just being real. Why dont you pick supply or something and try for Marsoc when you get into the Corps and get some actual time under your belt.

And when you do fail, They will stick you in a victor unit, have fun with that

OH BTW: you dont rate that screen name, it should say Civilian305.. boot

Thanks

2D Recon Bn
    2D SOTG

FADED

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Who are you supposed to be, the next Commandant of the Corps?
    According to you, no one is in that unit because no one is good enough.
    and why would you say you probably sound like a jerk? because you're acting like one?
    Wise up, young man, and give others a break from your pearls of wisdom

even criticizing the guy's username, with your name as fa de d? give me a break. Go play in a playground somewhere and come around the big kids some other time

Quote Originally Posted by HarperJim View Post
    Who are you supposed to be, the next Commandant of the Corps?
    According to you, no one is in that unit because no one is good enough.
    and why would you say you probably sound like a jerk? because you're acting like one?
    Wise up, young man, and give others a break from your pearls of wisdom

Agreed. Gives a very bad impression on the Marine Corps. He comes across as very immature.

What do you think is most important? Being Rodger Recon or getting an education?

Credits
    Savings
    Im not going to argue.
    Every poolie is Recon and everyone who gets out of the Corps says there Recon. Every faker/phoney was Recon or a Seal.. does anyone not see a trend. If i hurt his feelings then the Marine Corps probably isn't for him. This is exactly why today's people use the term "New Marine Corps" . appearntly we are softer and we hold each others hands and sing cumbaya

Quote Originally Posted by FaDeD View Post
    Im not going to argue.
    Every poolie is Recon and everyone who gets out of the Corps says there Recon. Every faker/phoney was Recon or a Seal.. does anyone not see a trend. If i hurt his feelings then the Marine Corps probably isn't for him. This is exactly why today's people use the term "New Marine Corps" . appearntly we are softer and we hold each others hands and sing cumbaya
    That is not entirely true. Some fakes are Green Berets and Delta too. Lets not forget the sniper posers too.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Was FaDeD's post appropriate for a kid asking a respectful question?

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Was FaDeD's post appropriate for a kid asking a respectful question?
    This is a new trend with the current generation of Marines and soldiers. They are even more brutal than faded on some of the other forums. They don't give a ounce of thought they are dealing with teenagers.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    This is a new trend with the current generation of Marines and soldiers. They are even more brutal than faded on some of the other forums. They don't give a ounce of thought they are dealing with teenagers.
    Teenagers who come into MY Marine Corps and think they are back on the block. While im off fighting a war there in the RBE smoking spice and getting DUI's. Cant pass a field day and dont know what customs and courtesies are.. half the time you cant even tell they went to boot camp lately.. Get the hell out of here this new trend. Im a fourth generation Marine and they get nastier and saltier as they go back.

fine i take it all back to ease the minds of the people.

GO FOR IT YOUNG MAN, AIM REALLY HIGH AT THE CLOUDS AND YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. STAY FOCUSED, STAY MOTIVATED AND ALWAYS REMEBER.. SWEAT IN PEACE, BLEED LESS IN WAR.
    SF

To the OP, try doing a bit more research before asking questions, there young man.....

Scout Sniper/Recon/MARSOC Information
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70637

If the recruiter can lock you into that MOS by signing up now, then do so. Ask your recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by FaDeD View Post
    Teenagers who come into MY Marine Corps and think they are back on the block. While im off fighting a war there in the RBE smoking spice and getting DUI's. Cant pass a field day and dont know what customs and courtesies are.. half the time you cant even tell they went to boot camp lately.. Get the hell out of here this new trend. Im a fourth generation Marine and they get nastier and saltier as they go back.

fine i take it all back to ease the minds of the people.

GO FOR IT YOUNG MAN, AIM REALLY HIGH AT THE CLOUDS AND YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. STAY FOCUSED, STAY MOTIVATED AND ALWAYS REMEBER.. SWEAT IN PEACE, BLEED LESS IN WAR.
    SF

Faded good luck and stay safe. We are counting on men like you to come through for us. God bless.

Thread Information