Introduction -- BULLDAWG - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you have already acheived your degree at UGA, why would you not put it to work in the Officer ranks? You have the opportunity to do so unless there is something in the background keeping you from it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I finally went and saw a recruiter this week! I am already scheduled to go to MEPS on Monday! All my paperwork has been submitted as of this afternoon. I already had the security clearance from when I was working with the OSO.

Many people like my parents are upset that I want to enlist rather than pursue a commission, but this is what I want and what feels like the right thing to do.

I have been reading about enlisted to officer programs...seems like a great path...

If I decide that is what I want...

Plus if I decide to go for Judge Advocate...post 9-11 GI Bill paying for law school sounds great...

IM EXCITED

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post
    I dont know much about Recon but Combat Engineer and MAGTF Planner are A critical MOS. This is from the Other Marines I work With. MAGTF Planner you will need a higher security clearence but over after that it should keep you interested. Combat Engineers work well stateside but do their best while deployed you see alot of great things. As far as your PFT it seems you are squared away andwill fit right in. We are trying to weed out the bad bugs in the Marine Corps. If you are willing to be better than average I welcome you to attemp to join this brotherhood.
    I have to pick my top three MOS at MEPS according to my recruiter. CE and MAGTF may be my second and third spots but I want to look into electronic warfare as well...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    Linguist. You will most likely get some sort of middle eastern language or Korean, perhaps Russian (or a variant) or Chinese. The likelihood of Spanish is less then those listed prior and the chances of another type of romance language is slim to none. Someone that is there at DLI would be better suited to give information on what is hot or not. The way I see it, the middle eastern languages will continue to be in demand and seems that the number of Asia-pacific language linguists (Korean specifically) will be held at its current level for right now with a decrease over the next couple years (again this is my perception).

Additionally, linguist is, as can be imagined, a mentally demanding job, but one thing that is not often known is that it can be physically demanding depending on where you get stationed and what your billet is. If you end up in a Fleet Marine Force unit (Radio Bn), the chance of getting this billet would be slightly less then 50 percent. (search wikipedia for Radio recon or radio battalion). Other then the FMF Radio Bns, linguists go to letter companies (google "mcsb+usmc" click on the dot mil links), which is strictly a desk job with limited deployment options.

Thanks for the excellent information on the post and others...

Linguist is my top choice now...I am hopefully taking the DLAB when I go to MEPS on Monday...

If not Monday then soon after...

HOW CAN ONE IMPROVE THEIR CHANCES OF GOING TO RADIO BNS?
    I DO NOT WANT A DESK JOB BUT I UNDERSTAND "THE NEEDS OF THE CORPS." HIGH PFT/CFT?

Also...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE SITUATION AT DLI LOOKS LIKE THESE DAYS AS FAR AS LANGUAGES FOR NOOBIES GOES?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Red face to a fellow Georgian

Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    If you have already acheived your degree at UGA, why would you not put it to work in the Officer ranks? You have the opportunity to do so unless there is something in the background keeping you from it.
    I originally was working towards a commission right away, but decided I would rather be enlisted and maybe in the future I feel more qualified to assume that kind of role...this way I learn more about the Marine Corps and the military in general prior to commissioning (if I reach my goals)...I can make better decisions with that extra knowledge...I know the sentiment you expressed...but this feels like the right thing to do for me...

Plus, there are some great perks!!

Money is not the driving factor...but the idea of graduate school/professional school being paid for is great...especially considering the job market right now...law school is something I may be interested in, just want to find out more about what Judge Advocates do...

Life is short...but I do not mind spending at least 3 to 4 Years enlisted, I do not care if that "sets me back" in the Officer pipeline as people have expressed to me...the additional knowledge I would have as a "Mustang" is well worth it IMHO...

cheerz

Credits
    Savings
    Every MOS is critical to the total mission
    There is always a need for leaders
    You will exceed what you think are your limitations physically and mentally

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Talking !

Now sworn in and slated for boot 20111212!!

Selecting MOS soon.

DLAB next week.

Guaranteed E2 out of boot. Goal is LCpl out of boot, even if I don't get it, it is good to set the mark high.

Studying up on some good information and PTing like mad.

I got a 98 on the ASVAB and my recruiter said I could do any job so what in your opinion are other good MOSs besides linguist?

Also, is there anything along the lines of a MARINE DIVER? I like swimming.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Scratch that part about Marine Diver...did a little research...see that it goes with Recon...

Other questions are fair game.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    *Testing to see if I have "poolee" status

Thread Information