Woman hears calling; now a Molly Marine
Create Post

Exclamation Woman hears calling; now a Molly Marine

Woman hears calling; now a Molly Marine
    March 29, 2009
    By Jerry Davich

Post-Tribune metro columnist

When Sarah LaRosa attended Washington Township High School, she helped prepare care packages for U.S. Marines serving overseas.

LaRosa, a popular cheerleader and honor student who was addicted to Disney movies, never dreamed she would be returning to that school a few years later as a Marine. But that's exactly what she did earlier this month.

The 22-year-old Valparaiso go-getter assisted a local Marine recruiter to raise student awareness about the few, the proud, the Marines. She walked and talked as crisply as her dress blue "alpha" uniform looked.

And her efforts paid off, drawing serious interest from at least one student there who -- wouldn't you know it -- was a young woman.

As a teenager, LaRosa was a member of SADD, Students Against Destructive Decisions, and she certainly has made few destructive decisions in her life.

Last year, while attending Indiana University in Bloomington, she came to the conclusion that college just wasn't right for her. Instead, she wanted to join the military, and eventually decided on the U.S. Marines.

"I grew up on the war stories of my uncle, a Marine who was in Vietnam," said LaRosa during a visit to Opportunity Enterprises in Valparaiso, where she used to work.

"Females in the Marine Corps have been long underestimated and overlooked and I'm anxious to bring attention to the important roles they serve," she said confidently.

After spending last summer working out, both physically and mentally, she left home in early December for Parris Island in South Carolina, the same site where her stepfather once marched.

"My wife, Janet, and I are very proud of Sarah and of her new service to this country," said Ron Niess, who became a Marine at Parris Island 53 years ago.

Parris Island is one of two training facilities in the country for Marine recruits, and the only site for female recruits. It consists of 8,095 acres, of which only 3,262 are habitable.

"It's a beautiful, wonderful, picturesque locale unless you're there to become a Marine," a tough-as-nails Marine once told me.

LaRosa spent 12 weeks there, pretty much sealed off from civilization as she knew it. Still, she loved it, almost every minute of it.

"I felt at home, like I always belonged there," she said.

LaRosa felt so at home there that she was No. 1 in the obstacle course, the rope climb and simulated bayonet combat, as well as earning the nickname "super scribe" and serving as assistant chaplain on Sundays.

"It was challenging, but exciting," she noted.

Hallowed boot steps

The first woman accepted for duty in the Marines was Opha Mae Johnson in 1918, during World War I. Since then, thousands of other women have followed, including Col. Katherine Towle, the first director of Women Marines in 1948, and Lt. Gen. Carol Mutter, the first female Marine to wear three stars in 1996.

Along the way, female Marines have served in both world wars, the Korean War, Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, and the Iraq War.

Overall, there are roughly 200,000 active-duty women in the military, including 35,000 officers. These women represent 15 percent of all armed forces serving Uncle Sam today, compared with just 2 percent in 1950, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

But first, at least for female Marines, they must train at Parris Island, as they have done since 1949.

There, the Fourth Recruit Training Battalion trains only female recruits through its three companies, Co. N, Co. O and Co. P. Each company contains an average of two platoons, and roughly 2,400 recruits come through this battalion each year.

Today, women account for roughly 4 percent of all Marine officers and 5 percent of all active duty Marine Corps. And they're allowed for 93 percent of all occupational fields and 62 percent of all positions as their male counterparts.

Recruit training, however, is now identical for male and female recruits, the result of several significant additions over the last quarter-century.

These additions include "The Crucible," a rite of passage today for every Marine, and one that LaRosa would have to slay before even dreaming of following in the hallowed boot steps of Johnson, Towle and Mutter, among other notable women.

Tears but not sobs

The Crucible, the 54-hour culmination of recruit training, forces Marine-wannabes through food and sleep deprivation while overcoming various obstacles along the way.

For example, LaRosa had to travel 48 miles on foot, facing 29 problem-solving exercises at 36 different stations while carrying her 45-pound gear and an M-16 rifle. Making matters worse, she hurt her ankle on the second day and had to suck it up the rest of the way.

"It was truly a profound experience," she said, beaming at the memory.

At the end of The Crucible, on a bum ankle, she proudly celebrated the "eagle, globe and anchor" ceremony, where all new Marines receive the milestone insignia from their drill instructor. She squeezed it, closed her eyes and absorbed the moment.

"It was exactly as we were told it would be," she said. "The spirits of all Marines came through us. I had tears in my eyes, but I didn't cry."

Her stepfather, however, can't say the same thing when he and his wife, Janet, watched LaRosa's graduation ceremony on March 6.

"There was more than one tear," he admitted. "I even had tears when I learned from one of her platoon buddies she was chosen Molly Marine."

Ten days later, on March 16, after returning home and visiting her former high school, LaRosa left the region for advanced training at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

She will then travel to the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, at the Presidio of Monterey, Calif., for military intelligence education and to study either Chinese or Arabic. (She already speaks Spanish and Italian.) After that, who knows, she readily admits.

She may become a "mustang," lingo for an enlisted Marine who elevates to the rank of officer. She may serve at a U.S. Embassy, or on a naval command ship, or possibly work for the U.S. Department of Defense.

Regardless, "I'm having the time of my life," LaRosa told me after her graduation.

So is her stepfather, who fondly recalls his days at Parris Island and as a Marine.

"I would do it again without any hesitation," Niess said.

So would LaRosa. In a heartbeat.

Like father, like daughter.

Connect with Jerry Davich at 648-3107 or jdavich@post-trib.com.

Sights set higher for this Marine

Sarah LaRosa is only 22 years old, but she has already found her place in the world.

The former high school honor student, homecoming queen, and all-American girl next door initially thought her life’s path weaved through college. But another more challenging calling kept whispering in her ear.

Last year, after much deliberation, LaRosa decided to follow in her father and uncle’s bootsteps to become one of the few, the proud, the Marines. However, for her the motto became the fewer, the prouder, the women Marines.

But even that wasn’t enough of a challenge for the Valparaiso overachiever with the sweet smile but firm handshake.

Earlier this month, at boot camp on Paris Island in South Carolina, she was the No. 1 recruit, graduating as a lance corporal. She also was honored as "Molly Marine," embodying the best qualities of an ideal female Marine.

Still, that’s not enough. She has her sights set even higher.

During National Women’s History Month, LaRosa not only wants to honor history, she wants to make history. It’s the difference, she believes, between a recruit and an officer.

-- Jerry Davich

http://www.post-trib.com/news/davich...er67.fullimage

Ellie

What a great story! I wanted to learn more about the Molly Marine thing because my niece Jessica just received that award. She is at Parris Island, and will graduate this month on the 15th. We are so very, very proud of her. As we are of ALL who serve our country! The Marines, especially are SPECIAL BREED. Thanks for putting on yourninspiring story!

Thread Information