rifleman vs. machine gunner - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Are you old enough to talk with a recruiter? And your Dad doesn't know any of this info about contracts etc? Listen to Zulu and what Sgt Lep told you war isn't a game, it's life and death. It's not pretty, it's not glamorous. It smells, a stench that stays with you your whole life. When the demons come to you in the night, depriving you of sleep, when you wake up with your hands around your wife's neck because you thought she was the enemy. When you scream at your kids when a balloon pops, that's what war does to you

Go and read the posts in the PTSD forum then think long and hard about wanting an 03 contract. You ever been to a fire scene and smelled burning flesh? Not a smell that ever goes away so imagine seeing and smelling that day after day.
    My Dad never talks about things. He was in Operation Desert shield/storm. I'm guessing he had it rough over there. Whenever I ask him things he'll give me what I want, but never ellaborates. Maybe he still remembers, i'm sure he does... I don't think he wants to talk about those things. He gets excited about talking about deployments to Okinawa, scuba diving, the fun stuff he did, but never mentions anything else.He is pretty helpful on the things I need, but I think he gets annoyed when I ask him so much.

I would be very carefull what I am wishing for if I were you. This is not a movie or an X-Box game that you are playing. Real Amercan young people are being KIA and maimed for the rest of their lives. This is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I would be very carefull what I am wishing for if I were you. This is not a movie or an X-Box game that you are playing. Real Amercan young people are being KIA and maimed for the rest of their lives. This is the real deal.
    Trust me I have been thinking. It's a hard choice, that's why I am trying to get as much information as I can.

You know Old Marine, I've got a lot of respect for you. Twenty years of service through two of the worst wars in history. You have do be brave to go through that, so I say you're a good Marine.

Oh, sorry, your profile says that you weren't in Nam, but you still deserve a lot of respect and must have gone through a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    We used to make non-quals machine gunners since they could not hit the target.
    Explains high casualty rates in the "Old Corps". Give the guy who fails muzzle control MOOORRREE firepower. At least tell me you put him in front as you charged up the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by michagnu View Post
    Explains high casualty rates in the "Old Corps". Give the guy who fails muzzle control MOOORRREE firepower. At least tell me you put him in front as you charged up the beach.
    So are ALL people with an 03xx MOS called "Grunts"?

Well, kid, My roommate and I somehow read this whole topic without loosing our minds, and lucky for you, I'm an 0331,and he's an 0311, and We may be able make this clear.

However, We will only answer if you ask us directly. Not going back to the older questions because I just don't feel like it.

You were given several responses but the one above will give you the answers you seek, direct from a SERVING 0331. I would take full advantage of it if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    You were given several responses but the one above will give you the answers you seek, direct from a SERVING 0331. I would take full advantage of it if I were you.
    Yes Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by GunRun View Post
    Well, kid, My roommate and I somehow read this whole topic without loosing our minds, and lucky for you, I'm an 0331,and he's an 0311, and We may be able make this clear.

However, We will only answer if you ask us directly. Not going back to the older questions because I just don't feel like it.
    Is it alright if I just PM you? This thread is getting pretty long.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I was a gunner in the 3/26 in 68-69. Being a gunner in those times was not a day at the beach. If you had a long fire fight, you would need to switch positions fairly regularly. They loved to walk those mortors in on the heavy guns. It's not a cake walk being a gunner.

They did back then, and they still do now. Thankfully, I'm in a line company and the M240 is fairly easy to pick up and haul ass with. Not a big fan of those 82mm mortars the Talibunnies drop on us from time to time.

Anyways kid, I will reply to your PM as soon as I get the time.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I was an 0311 and played in the sandbox twice from 06-07 and 07-08. The main difference between an 11 and a 31 is that there are less 31’s and they often picked up rank faster than us. Another difference is Infantry school. The 31’s had to hump their guns everywhere as well as their rifle. I only had to carry my rifle and pack. Once you get to the fleet many 31’s do what the 11’s do and most weapons platoon guys hate having to tag along with a squad instead of doing gun drills or whatever else those guys did. You shouldn't do open contract because as stated before you can end up being a cook. It's rare that you get a gauranteed designation. I went as an 03XX and once I was in ITB I chose 11. Hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]

Thank you Sir, that was pretty helpful. Sorry for the PM I got confused on which post was which. (the deployment post) So excuse me. I may have came off as rude which I wasn't trying to do, so i apologize.

Thread Information