rifleman vs. machine gunner - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old Marine is right. All promotions after E-5 come from CMC!

Anyone care to give me the key differences from a 0311 and an 0331?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    Anyone care to give me the key differences from a 0311 and an 0331?

You know this stuff isn't all that difficult to find. It took m about 20 seconds to find it and post. Lets try doing some of your own work

Job Description: The riflemen employ the M16A2 service rifle, the M203 grenade launcher and the squad automatic weapon (SAW). Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MAGTF. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad, the scout team in the LAR squad, scout snipers in the infantry battalion, and reconnaissance or assault team in the reconnaissance units. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, scout team leaders, rifle squad leaders, or rifle platoon guides.

Job Description: The machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62 mm medium machine-gun, the 50 cal., and 40mm heavy machine-gun, and their support vehicle. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAF: battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as team leaders and squad leaders/section leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    You know this stuff isn't all that difficult to find. It took m about 20 seconds to find it and post. Lets try doing some of your own work

Job Description: The riflemen employ the M16A2 service rifle, the M203 grenade launcher and the squad automatic weapon (SAW). Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MAGTF. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad, the scout team in the LAR squad, scout snipers in the infantry battalion, and reconnaissance or assault team in the reconnaissance units. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, scout team leaders, rifle squad leaders, or rifle platoon guides.

Job Description: The machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62 mm medium machine-gun, the 50 cal., and 40mm heavy machine-gun, and their support vehicle. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAF: battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as team leaders and squad leaders/section leaders.
    I can find all of that right there and have seen it many times before, i'm asking on here because it does not answer what I am looking for. I'm looking for a comparison of the two jobs as what your main job is, and i'm looking for what both jobs do on a daily basis. Thank you though.

Credits
    Savings
    I can find all of that right there and have seen it many times before, i'm asking on here because it does not answer what I am looking for. I'm looking for a comparison of the two jobs as what your main job is, and i'm looking for what both jobs do on a daily basis. Thank you though.
    Jacob do you live in Gladwin MI????? How old are you? Seems to me you've been on here before under a different name. I'll have to ask Lep if your IP is the same. Interesting!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Why? Have you talked with a recruiter? Do you have any medical conditions that might need a waiver? They are hard to come by these days. Your Dad was in the Corps? Have you asked him some of these questions? Seems to me you have a great source of info right at home.

You know Commander these type of questions seem very familiar to me as well. Some smart a$$ kid wanted to know every single detail about dog handlers and Recon and a few others I can't remember but I do remember he was banned, permanently.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Why? Have you talked with a recruiter? Do you have any medical conditions that might need a waiver? They are hard to come by these days. Your Dad was in the Corps? Have you asked him some of these questions? Seems to me you have a great source of info right at home.

You know Commander these type of questions seem very familiar to me as well. Some smart a$$ kid wanted to know every single detail about dog handlers and Recon and a few others I can't remember but I do remember he was banned, permanently.
    You have a good memory SSgt. Yes he was banned, very obnoxious little twerp. Came on originally asking about emailing a recruiter then stating he had ADHD, then said he didn't have it. Bad attitude all around. But I think what got to most of us was his insistence of knowing every single detail of every single MOS he was interested in.

CMDR – I think we all know what the results of the IP check will be. He acts the same, has the same name, and coincidentally joined within weeks, if not days of our previous ADHD friend getting banned. But then again what do I know? I’m just a dumb jarhead.

Bornagain – Your question has been answered and once again, it’s not good enough for you. Google “a day in the life of a Marine infantryman” and it will take you to other threads that depict in detail what a typical day in the infantry is like. I was not in the infantry, but I would imagine that a “typical day” for a rifleman is about the same as a “typical day” for a machine gunner. Where they differ is when they are deployed… which you’d probably not classify a “typical day”. And which has already been answered by the CMDR.

Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    CMDR – I think we all know what the results of the IP check will be. He acts the same, has the same name, and coincidentally joined within weeks, if not days of our previous ADHD friend getting banned. But then again what do I know? I’m just a dumb jarhead.

Bornagain – Your question has been answered and once again, it’s not good enough for you. Google “a day in the life of a Marine infantryman” and it will take you to other threads that depict in detail what a typical day in the infantry is like. I was not in the infantry, but I would imagine that a “typical day” for a rifleman is about the same as a “typical day” for a machine gunner. Where they differ is when they are deployed… which you’d probably not classify a “typical day”. And which has already been answered by the CMDR.
    Thank you spartucus. I never said that i didnt appreciate the info USN, but I am looking for a personal account of a rifleman or machinegunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post

My Dad has answered a lot of questions, but he doesnt know everything about these mos's because he was not a grunt per say.

Thank you spartucus. I never said that i didnt appreciate the info USN, but I am looking for a personal account of a rifleman or machinegunner.
    And I never said you didn't appreciate it. I said it wasn't good enough for you. And if you would have done what I suggested and googled "a day in the life of a Marine infantryman" you would have found that the very first link is to an old leatherneck.com thread in which an actual infantry Marine gives a typical daily schedule... broken down hour by hour no less.

Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    And I never said you didn't appreciate it. I said it wasn't good enough for you. And if you would have done what I suggested and googled "a day in the life of a Marine infantryman" you would have found that the very first link is to an old leatherneck.com thread in which an actual infantry Marine gives a typical daily schedule... broken down hour by hour no less.
    I just found it. Thank you Sir, this is pretty interesting. I didnt realize I could find the answer on this same sight, but you do have to ask the questions to get the answers, that's why I'm being so specific.

Don't believe this is the same lad as before, at least the IP shows a Michigan address I believe.

Now....you want 'specifics'?

They both do essentially the SAME job. Infantry. Machine gunners lay down a base of fire for the 0311s to 'shoot and move'. Machine gunners hump the heavy weapons, ammo, tripods/bipods, etc.

Machine gunners at one time were assigned to 'Heavy Weapons' Platoon/Company, they may or may not be any longer. Either way, they do EXACTLY the same thing as the 'basic rifleman' does.....Infantry. Just slightly different missions.

And kid, the desire to 'see' the elephant.....well, be careful what you wish for.

It ain't all flags flyin and bands blowin when the demons come for you at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Don't believe this is the same lad as before, at least the IP shows a Michigan address I believe.

Now....you want 'specifics'?

They both do essentially the SAME job. Infantry. Machine gunners lay down a base of fire for the 0311s to 'shoot and move'. Machine gunners hump the heavy weapons, ammo, tripods/bipods, etc.

Machine gunners at one time were assigned to 'Heavy Weapons' Platoon/Company, they may or may not be any longer. Either way, they do EXACTLY the same thing as the 'basic rifleman' does.....Infantry. Just slightly different missions.

And kid, the desire to 'see' the elephant.....well, be careful what you wish for.

It ain't all flags flyin and bands blowin when the demons come for you at night.
    Thank you Sgt. I have a bit of thinking to do before I start making decisions as to whether or not I want to be infantry. It sounds like a hard task but I believe that I may be up to it.

Are there any true advantages to infantry over other jobs, maybe rank advancement or future employment?

Thread Information