Going to Bootcamp with glass in my face
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy Going to Bootcamp with glass in my face

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this discussion.

I was in a car accident a few years ago and got 3 pieces of auto glass permanently lodged under the skin on my jaw. I was told by multiple people already in the Marine Corps that it will hurt my chances if i disclose it, and since it doesn't hurt me and isn't visible, then they wont be able to find it anyway. I have been in the DEP for close to a year and 3 days before my ship day i learn that a dental x ray will be done at boot camp. With a dental x ray they will most certainly find the glass. I have chosen to come clean to my recruiter because i shouldn't have lied in the first place. is there a chance that i will be able to stay? or did i just ruin my life?

I know what i did was wrong, i just hope it isn't too late. Any info would be very appreciated.

OK. I may anger some people here, but I'm going to say it.

Being in the Marine Corps is not the only thing in the world. It is wonderful that you want to serve your country and are motivated, but it is much better to go in the right way and without any 'loopholes' come time you may need to use medical for it. It will probably bite you in the butt in the future.

If you are allowed to stay, which I would allow due to your honesty, then good on you and good luck! If not, TRUST ME, there are an infinite amount of other things you can do in life. To me it sounds like you are only being honest because you feel they will find out anyhow (the 'X-ray').

Short answer: No, you did not just ruin your life. If anything, just a small chip off your shoulder since you want to join and may not be qualified now due to the injury. Either way, do your best in whatever you do. Do not get caught up on this little hiccup if it is one.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    JWG I appreciate the thoughtful response.

I had my heart set on being a Marine and i did what i believed needed to be done and i am ready to accept what comes next. Does anyone have any personal experience with a situation anywhere close to this? I feel like the dishonesty is more detrimental than the injury but i need to know if i still have a chance. Not that the opinions of a forum will benefit the outcome, but rather help give me piece of mind until i find out for certain, so i may actually sleep.

You are certainly not the first to be less than fully honest to a recruiter to get past all the screening process for qualification, nor the last by any means. The fact is you came clean. If you are worried about the legalities, rest easy. There are many, many more scripted opportunities for you to 'come clean' already in the training matrix (both before and during boot camp) without getting in trouble. You did it on your own, that says something about your character and assures you are good to go.

Get some rest. Come what may.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    OK. I may anger some people here, but I'm going to say it.

Being in the Marine Corps is not the only thing in the world. It is wonderful that you want to serve your country and are motivated, but it is much better to go in the right way and without any 'loopholes' come time you may need to use medical for it. It will probably bite you in the butt in the future.

If you are allowed to stay, which I would allow due to your honesty, then good on you and good luck! If not, TRUST ME, there are an infinite amount of other things you can do in life. To me it sounds like you are only being honest because you feel they will find out anyhow (the 'X-ray').

Short answer: No, you did not just ruin your life. If anything, just a small chip off your shoulder since you want to join and may not be qualified now due to the injury. Either way, do your best in whatever you do. Do not get caught up on this little hiccup if it is one.
    Ahhh, why would that anger anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    Ahhh, why would that anger anyone?
    Don't ask me. I've had people get mad at some pretty trivial truths.

One of our core values is honor and you certainly did the honorable thing. For that you are to be commended. You also displayed a high degree of integrity; one of our leadership traits as you know already.

Good luck to you and I sincerely hope this works out in your favor. You sound like the quality individual we are seeking to join our ranks. Hopefully, that will be taken into consideration by the decision makers in your case.

Please let us know how all this is resolved.

Poolee: You have a Private Message...

Before Poolees and everything that goes on today, I had a recruit who had been in a bar room brawl right before entering the Marine Corps. We were at Dental and I hear the dentist calling me to come in the examination room. I go in and the dentist tells me this guy has wire holding his jaw together and any tap he might get on his jaw would break it again. The dentist suggested this recruit be discharged and he was. I did not want him fighting with pugil sticks. All this happened a long time ago in the late 1960's.

Why didn't the Doctor take the glass out after the accident???

Thread Information