Questions before i enlist? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Was FaDeD's post appropriate for a kid asking a respectful question?
    I guess it depends on what you got out of it. To me, it sounded like he gave his opinion while outlinding the path to what the kid was asking for without pulling any punches in the process.

On the subject of "Old Corps" and "New Corps," people were saying that when I was in and I got out of the Corps 20 years ago yesterday.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I posted this earlier this week. Hunter read this. It's a long road becoming Recon. I'll assume you know that just because to want 0321 doesn't mean you'll get it. You're only guaranteed the 03XX field not the MOS within that field

Type of MOS : PMOS
    Rank Range: MGySgt to Pvt
    Job Description: The reconnaissance man is responsible for providing the amphibious, long range, small unit, ground reconnaissance and raid skills to support the MAGTF. He is the nucleus of a reconnaissance team in the reconnaissance battalion or the reconnaissance or assault team in the Marine Special Operations Company (MSOC's) In addition to basic infantry skills, he is responsible for highly refined scouting and patrolling skills. He must possess advanced proficiency in scout swimming, small boat operations, close combat skills, airborne, surface and sub-surface insertion and extraction techniques, assault climbing, demolitions, forward observer procedures for supporting arms, initial terminal guidance operations for heliborne assaults, airborne insertion operations, and various waterborne operations. He specializes in communications, photography, threat weapons and equipment recognition, and various types of point, area, and related necessary overlap of ground amphibious reconnaissance operations. Marines assigned to assault teams possess advanced skills in assault weaponry, breaching demolitions, close quarter battle skills and raid techniques. Selected reconnaissance men are further trained as static line and free-fall parachutists and combatant divers. - Noncommissioned officers are assigned as reconnaissance and assault team leaders or their assistants and may be qualified as static line and free-fall jumpmasters, dive supervisors, helicopter insertion/extraction masters (HRST), and tandem offset resupply delivery system (TORDS) operators.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) Must possess a GT score of 105 or higher.
    (2) Must possess a first class swimmer qualification.
    (3) Must obtain a first class score on the PFT.
    (4) All Marines, to include non-infantry desiring lateral move, must successfully complete the Marine Rifleman Course of instruction prior to attending the Basic Reconnaissance Course.
    (5) Assigned as a primary MOS to MGySgt and below 03XX Marines by CMC (MM) and Reconnaissance OccFld Manager (PP and O Code POG), and approved lateral-move Marines from any other MOS, who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
    (6) Must be a U.S. citizen.
    (7) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.
    (8) Must be medically qualified to perform jump and combatant dive qualifications IAW inter-service requirements established in the P117 Navy Manual of Medicine and Army AR 40-501. Marines assigned 0321 PMOS who become medically unqualified may be directed to Lateral move or be reassigned based on the Commanding Officer, MMEA and HQM recommendations IAW MCO P1000.6.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by RECON305 View Post
    Ive been talking to my Marine recruiter back and forth for months now, the MOS i want to get is Reconnaissance Man and he said there are spots available.

He wants me to workout with him and the poolee's but i have to sign up first, now im just about to get started into my senior year and my parents dont want me to sign up yet, they want me to get about halfway into my senior year. I understand that but the chances of getting Recon will narrow down as slots get filled up. Ive takin the ASVAB and i made a AFQT Score of 45, which is nothing special but my recruiter wants me to get it to atleast a 60 before enlistment, which is do able.

My question is should i sign up now? or wait and keep hitting up the gym 5 times a week and work on my education with the risk of not getting recon?

Much obliged, Hunter

Hunter as I posted above you have no guarantee of getting into Recon. Did your recruiter tell you to sign up now and he'll make certain he'll get you into Recon? I doubt it very much

Get as much education as you can enjoy your senior year it won't happen again.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    it's not about what I got out of anything, its about talking to people like they did something wrong by asking, a big and bad Marine with some time under his belt? What, a couple of years? Salty as a commandant? come on, now, elementary courtesy, watson Big bad azz days are over Someone asks like a man, you answer like one

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    it's not about what I got out of anything, its about talking to people like they did something wrong by asking, a big and bad Marine with some time under his belt? What, a couple of years? Salty as a commandant? come on, now, elementary courtesy, watson Big bad azz days are over Someone asks like a man, you answer like one
    You make a good point. The negative attitude from people who think they are too salty is something that was always too common in the Corps. I've said that on other threads as well.

Go for it!

Best answer I can give you is this: the Marine Corps is going to put you where the Marine Corps needs you most. You may get into the 03XX field, but wherever you go, work harder, run faster, shoot straighter, and study longer than any of your fellow Marines. Listen to your NCOs. Study your knowledge. Look sh!t hot wherever you go, both on and off duty. Be a leader, but earn that role through hard work and exemplary skills.

Do all of this, and you can write your ticket in the Corps. Your first few years may not be in the MOS you want, but pick up a couple of meritorious ranks and outshine your peers and you will be able to LAT move into pretty much anything.

I was the honor grad at Corporal's Course and picked up meritorious Sergeant and was offered my choice of jump school, DI school, or the presidential helicopter squadron (HMX-1) to re-enlist. I opted to get out, but my point is there are options for the best of the best.

Stay motivated!

Sgt. Stokes

Thanks DRB, its what ive wanted to do since i was 6, im not doing it for the money im doing it soley to serve my country and become a Marine in the finest brotherhood out there.

Thanks DRB, its what ive wanted to do since i was 6, im not doing it for the money im doing it soley to serve my country and become a Marine in the finest brotherhood out there.
    You still have to make it. It's a more difficult task than what the recruiter is telling you.

Thanks for all the positive feed back guys! Yeah i may not be guaranteed recon but im sure as hell gonna give it my best to try to get it, Semper Fi guys!

Yeah my recruiter SGT.King told me it was hell but if you can do it its worth it.

@DRB- plus i have lots of family in the Marines and they tell me what its like

I have said this before. This website is for Marines and ran by Marines.

Pooleess/wannabes come on here and ask their questions. Some like the answers they get and some don't. When I answer one of their questions, I don't concern myself with offending them or trying to be politically correct; I simply let them know my views based on my career in the Corps. If they don't like what I said, or how I said it, then that's their problem and maybe they shouldn't be on here asking questions anyway.

FADED obviously has a high degree of esprit de corps for both the recon community and our Marine Corps. I will not fault him for that and truthfully would like to see more of it. On the other hand, tact is one of our leadership traits and he could probably stand to use a little more of that in his responses.

Thanks for all the positive feed back guys! Yeah i may not be guaranteed recon but im sure as hell gonna give it my best to try to get it, Semper Fi guys!
    And yes, this does bother me......it's Marines, not guys.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    tact is one of our leadership traits
    A definition of tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell...and then have them enjoy packing for the trip.

Credits
    Savings
    FaDeD <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_782307", true); </script>
    Marine
    Free Member

Credits: 41

<!-- message --> Im not going to argue.
    Every poolie is Recon and everyone who gets out of the Corps says there Recon. Every faker/phoney was Recon or a Seal.. does anyone not see a trend. If i hurt his feelings then the Marine Corps probably isn't for him. This is exactly why today's people use the term "New Marine Corps" . appearntly we are softer and we hold each others hands and sing cumbaya

Wannabees get a lot of us sometimes
    for the Dumbest Reasons.
    Not always easy to say what ties
    your skivies in a bunch before it happens

Thread Information