Full Metal Jacket
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full Metal Jacket

I watched this movie for the first time since it first came out. What a bunch of CRAP!!! If you ask Barney, or Six or me (Who fought there with 2/5)they can verify that 2/5 didn't ever sing Mickey Mouse at the end of the battle! I found it to be another left wing slam on the Vietnam war and a gross distortion of facts.

Artistic liberty???? BS! Any comments? Now I know why my shrink told me not to watch it! Got to go take another happy Pill!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Some of us weren't with two five, and had no clue what you were singing

The movie was worth watching for the most part about boot camp
    with a few exagerations if i remember. Yes , they took some Liberetys.
    Do you know anyone other than a Marine who can believe boot camp ?

Only part of that movie that was almost believeable was boot camp , over done but almost believeable

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Doug, Ill not forget what happened there. I came after you.We learned from you and Russ, and all our brothers.

I watched that movie for the boot camp portion, the rest was...meh. Coming from recent real world events, the combat in the movie was just...blah. I can only imagine what it was like to someone who's had boots on the ground in country out there.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Captain Kirk,

What ‘s triggering you to post this thread ? You may not have sung it but did any one else from 2/5 sang it ? I once knew a vet who told me he knew the guy at Khe Sanh who whistle the Oscar Mayer song doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Maybe you just didn’t hear the song being sung. However, to be able to sell a movie things need to be put into place within the movie to help it sell its called coloring. Here is a link for your reading there are other interesting things you may not know about that movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Metal_Jacket

There is no Director not even Mr. Stone who can tell a true story on the Vietnam War why, they can’t add in true emotions we all felt during that time or our tour (s). Any man ( in the field) tells me he wasn’t scared to **** is a lire as did the character Joker said in the end of the movie he‘s unafraid such bull crap.

Doug - As you and I both know, Hue City was certainly no Mickey Mouse operation. I salute you Brother for making it out of that ****hole.

You know, over the years I remember telling some that asked how Hue was that I stopped being afraid. I realize today that I was afraid, but there comes a point in situations like Hue and the Arizona where you just no longer give a ****. You simply realize that there ain't no way in hell that you're coming out of this. We called it "Giving it up." That's when we became really dangerous.

In counseling they told us about the fight or flight response and that we were put in situations where our basic human response of flight was controlled by our orders. Bullshiit! I realize today that when what most would call the flight response would hit us we became conditioned to automatically become sheer aggression and we attacked the source of our fear with viciousness. To this day I have to be careful not to put myself in situations where someone might confront me, I simply do not know how to back down or retreat.

Getting back to the Mickey Mouse song, I took it in the positive rather than as a put down to us. To me the song represented that those Marines were not afraid of the NVA or the little gookers, they were afraid of hitting that line of their brother Marines and what would happen if they were mistaken for Gooks.

I took the song as a high compliment to those of us that were there, fearless hardcore Marines. S/F Brother

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I'll say this.What happened at HUE, is very unlikly to be a place for Marines to sing Mickey Mouse or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Doug - As you and I both know, Hue City was certainly no Mickey Mouse operation. I salute you Brother for making it out of that ****hole.

You know, over the years I remember telling some that asked how Hue was that I stopped being afraid. I realize today that I was afraid, but there comes a point in situations like Hue and the Arizona where you just no longer give a ****. You simply realize that there ain't no way in hell that you're coming out of this. We called it "Giving it up." That's when we became really dangerous.

In counseling they told us about the fight or flight response and that we were put in situations where our basic human response of flight was controlled by our orders. Bullshiit! I realize today that when what most would call the flight response would hit us we became conditioned to automatically become sheer aggression and we attacked the source of our fear with viciousness. To this day I have to be careful not to put myself in situations where someone might confront me, I simply do not know how to back down or retreat.

Getting back to the Mickey Mouse song, I took it in the positive rather than as a put down to us. To me the song represented that those Marines were not afraid of the NVA or the little gookers, they were afraid of hitting that line of their brother Marines and what would happen if they were mistaken for Gooks.

I took the song as a high compliment to those of us that were there, fearless hardcore Marines. S/F Brother
    Very nice post Advanced. Thank you.

Advanced,

My shrink says, frequent combat vets have lost the ability to act in a flight response. We only have one response; FIGHT! You guys are a great help to me when I get all riled up! Thanks Brothers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool M I C K E Y - M O U S E

We Few We Happy Few,The GRUNTS...were counted out as soon as our Boots Hit the Deck in that Chit Hole of a Country.By the time I was almost 19 yrs Young,I had lived,well let's put it this way...My Life from the scale of 1 Too the Number 10 I was at Ten when I left that ChitHole...I now By The Grace of God and The Love and Understanding of a very Good Woman am starting too Live the in Between Numbers if that makes any sence? Plus I have some Brothers here that mean more too Me than My own Blood Brothers.The only thing that Really Scared Me when My Azz was in tha Grass was when The Chit Hit the Fan which it did very very often If I would let them Down.The only thing that scares Me in This WORLD NOW is the Fear of GOD and MYSELF.S/F Gotta Roll India 3 out~~~

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    Advanced,

My shrink says, frequent combat vets have lost the ability to act in a flight response. We only have one response; FIGHT! You guys are a great help to me when I get all riled up! Thanks Brothers.
    Doug, you and I were in the Philly Naval Hosp.at the same time, for a few days in 69. We never quit fighting.

Mongoose,

That place is gone now. It was so dark and depressing there. Ii hated that place!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    Advanced,

Sounds like you had a good shrink Doug. Mine was saying that we fought the flight response because of our orders - once again - bull****. Anyhow, that's why I'm careful today since I just don't know how to stop.

I think we are all helping each other there Brother. Semper Fi to I Die - the Fighting 5th Marines.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    [quote=Captain Kirk;782619]Mongoose,

That place is gone now. It was so dark and depressing there. Ii hated that place![/It couldn't because your guts was laying out for everyone to see, could it?

Thread Information