The Intel Poolee Thread - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow nice post, that's a lot of good info. Makes me wonder how far they are into my clearance investigation (signed the contract in March). Not gonna lie 0231 sounds right up my alley from all I've heard, but of course I would be satisfied with any other MOS as long as I'm a Marine.

Wow I'm glad i found this thread. Learned a few interesting things and realized that I'm not the only one with a DD Contract wondering what MOS I'll end up getting. Even though i want 0231 i'm pretty sure I'll be happy with any intel job and the fact that i've actually earned the title.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was really set on 02xx, but was told I needed to take the DLAB, not pass, just take, to secure that contract. I went to take the test today and ended up passing. I'm completely conflicted now!

I've also had a staff sergeant and a major tell me both jobs might not be the best choice based on my IST and activity level. "You sit in a safe all day."

Not exactly true, that can be part of the job though. It's an area where you handle classified information. If you're smart, why are they telling you to do something else?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    Not exactly true, that can be part of the job though. It's an area where you handle classified information. If you're smart, why are they telling you to do something else?
    They said because I am an active person with an excellent IST I would be bored with either of those two MOS. Their suggestion was to sign an infantry contract and try to do recon or something. That would definitely be up my alley, but I'm concerned that if I don't manage to do that then I'll end up just being a basic infantryman (not a bad thing), but if it was that or intel I would pick intel.

It also was never mentioned until I passed the DLAB which confused me a bit as it's a test specifically for intel as far as I know.

It's a test to see if they can send you to DLI, you don't need to pass in order to get DD, only for DC.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well I decided to go ahead and sign the DC contract.

Anyone else DC? There are a few things I have wanted to discuss, but I am the only DC in my pool. I don't even think we have any DD's now that I think about it.

This thread is a tad old, but it's still on the front page so it shouldn't be too dead.

Ugh, how are you getting these so easily, I need to find an RSS willing to give out a DD..

I dont think there are any DD's available. They were holding one for me for a few weeks while all my paperwork got sorted out. Next month im sure youll know how many Intel boat spaces there will be.

Must have been covered before, but are there any intel jobs that are in the field? Because the job sounds pretty nice, but I couldnt stand being in an office building scenario all day

You might want to look at the Army then 35M - HUMINT Collector if you are serious about wanting to leave the wire on a daily basis. I know it's a different branch and all that jazz, but just something to consider if you are really interested in intelligence. I'm grappling with that right now, I really want to be a Marine, but they're flat out just not giving out contracts like candy anymore, and yeah you really don't have any idea of where you're going to be sent. You could end up in an infantry battalion, or you could end up with an intel bn behind a desk. The question is, is it worth it to be just be called a Marine after you finish boot camp and hate the next 4 years all for a title? When you could be doing intelligence work and seeing combat in the Army.

I made the decision that yes, it would be worth it to work in Marine Corps intelligence. But I can't get the contract.

Greetings Poolees,
    I've been reading your post and it seems like most of you guys have been doing your research. But I'm a 26XX and I do have a few things to add:
    1. Don't join the Army. They are garbage. I respect them as brothers in arms but they are a completely different breed.
    2. The clearance isn't necessarily easy to get, but it's not difficult either. It does go pretty in depth though. The main idea is to certify that you are able to be trusted with sensitive information. They check for debt, criminal record, and ties to foreign nationals. They'll contact almost everyone that you know and do a few interviews but other than the initial paperwork and interview you're not really involved.
    3. I don't know a whole lot about the 02XX's other than they are HUMINT rather than SIGINT. But 26XX's learn a language and depending on what language you learn dictates your career; where you go, what you do, etc.
    4. It's also worth noting that 26XX's and I think maybe 02XX's get an enlistment bonus.

If you guys have any questions feel free to reply or jus shoot me a message.

-LCpl Learned

Thread Information