The Intel Poolee Thread
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Intel Poolee Thread

Haven't seen too many topics on intelligence (02xx, 26xx) lately, so let's all gather 'round and talk about what MOS you hope to land and why you picked intel!

I picked intel because I have always been interested in a job in the CIA/FBI/NSA and this seemed like the perfect fit for an MOS in the Marine Corps for me. I'm hoping for either 0231 (analyst), or 2631 (electronic intel operator/analyst).

I'm personally up for any of the jobs in the field. It seems to me that the 0200 field will help more with getting into the CIA or FBI. I've heard SIGINT is basically a tactical NSA, and they actually have some Marines who work with them, not to mention a bunch of SIGINT Marines who follow General Mattis around at CENTCOM.

For awhile I wanted to know everything about the jobs, but when I realized that they're all pretty secretive, especially 2600 I just figured I'll go with the flow. But yes, I'm very excited for MOS school, both locations I've heard are the best the Corps has to offer, either one sounds good to me, Virgina Beach or Corry Station are both good options to have.

Only drawbacks I've heard is military intel is much different than the civilian sector, and you'll need a BA to get a job with most three letter agencies. I'm hoping I'll qualify for MECEP or something, either that or if I like it I'll just stay in.

Do you have your contract yet? I'm still waiting for mine to open up.

Yes luckily I do have my contract secured, it was a DD contract so I'm hearing I'm probable to land 0231 but who knows for sure.

Also gonna look into MECEP in a few years if I decide not to stay in (pending I make it in). And yes, the MOS schools seem awesome, and the locations are not bad at all. I think the main drawing point for intel for me was definitely the fact all the jobs are very secretive as you mentioned, so I can't wait to get hands-on once I make it into the Corps.

From what I've heard some 0231's won't even need a TS clearance because they work only at the battalion S2 level and don't need anything more than a secret clearance. My plan is to study my ass off in MOS school and only indulge in the luxuries they have there when I have nothing better to do.

Havent got my DD contract just yet still waiting on it, but I am going intel because I wasnt looking for an 03 contract ill let the younger guys take that.

It also interested me the most, your intel that you gather is what helps the 03's out in the field and it helps win wars. Without intel guys we'd have never nailed OBL

haha exactly, I've heard from a 0231 with a TS/SCI that sometimes it's hard to go to work every morning and read the newspaper with some story about an incident in Afghanistan or Pakistan and the story isn't even close to reality, and really just a bunch of lies they fed reporters.

the OBL raid was very motivating, probably no Marines were involved in the intel gathering, but maybe some of the CIA guys were former Marines.

Yeah hearing the intel roles on finding/killing Osama was pretty damn awesome. And yes, the data that comes through intel definitely supports infantry in the field! Gotta love that.

@PNW I'm pretty sure 0231's need top secrets.

You need to be eligible, why hand out a $10,000 clearance to a kid still in MOS school? What good is he if he fails out and becomes motor t or something, not much use in him having that clearance.

From what I've heard, the clearance is granted/denied way before MOS school (I think shortly after the interview for said clearance in boot camp), so if it was denied, the new Marine would know of it in MCT and be put in another MOS I believe.

Yeah I really don't know, you may be approved for it, but not actually receive it. I don't know, but that's what I've heard. A Marine out of our RS was supposed to be intel but got denied and is now going into the 2800 field.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW2011 View Post
    Yeah I really don't know, you may be approved for it, but not actually receive it. I don't know, but that's what I've heard. A Marine out of our RS was supposed to be intel but got denied and is now going into the 2800 field.
    TS should be pretty easy to get, the only denying factors (from what I hear from my recruiters and the like) is Arrests, (which the Corps should already know about) Lying, or a lot of debt.

So as long as you are honest and dont have a lot of debt like 10 to 15g's you arent paying or behind on then it should be all but yours already. or I guess if you are a foreign nationalist or something really crazy.

Yeah I'm not worried at all about getting it, in fact I really hope that the MOS I get requires it because it's a really valuable asset to you one you leave the Marine Corps.

Oh man I was speaking to an 0231 Marine today cleared up a lot of issues I had helped me a lot. Do not waste any and all oppertuinites or resources you have in the DEP. Definately helped calm me down and help me see how stuff goes down TS/SCI wise and even the job in general.

What do you mean by opportunities in the DEP?

Care to give a tl;dr of your conversation?

A boot Marine who posts on another forum says that basically every recruit with a DD contract went 0231. He just got back so it may be subject to change in MCT but for now, they're all going to Dam Neck.

Oppertunities to either rank up, or to speak to someone who is in the Marines presently.

Our RSS has had a few Marines come through RA so I got a chance to speak to them. On of which was an 02.

I asked her when she got her 0231 gig she said she got it before boot. She signed a specific 0231 contract she said she tried to get 2651 i believe it was but they gave her 0231. She told me that you do sign a specific contract for the job.

I asked her about getting the security clearance, I had been afraid a bit because my recruiter made some errors on my DEP SF 86. She told me for the clearance she pretty much had hers by the time she left boot camp or shortly there after. What they are looking for (which I pretty much knew through the ton on investigation I've done) they are looking for criminal stuff and stuff about your character when they do the investigation.

They obviously do an extensive criminal background check, if the FBI hasnt already called out about that original background check I wouldnt worry too much about the criminal thing cause i would think they'd have already found it. Unless you got something new of course. They will interview your entire immeadiate family and a lot of your friends, present and past co workers so they can paint a picture of your character. Then obviously they check your credit history to see if you will compromise national security in order to pay that debt.

She told me she didnt have to do the polygraph which I thought was pretty much manditory. She said if you have no criminal history you dont have to take one (If any Marines are reading this please correct if the info is incorrect) and that if you have no criminal background the rest of the process goes pretty quick.

I asked her about a day in the life of an 02. She says you start the day doing a briefing about the countries that are around where you are stationed like if you were in HI it would be japan and maybe somewheres else maybe even A-Stan or Iraq mainly just an update and to see if there is anything new.

She says they do a lot of mock missions. They will set up a fake country next to a real country and you have to scope out that country, how many air strips, how many bases stuff like that. She says that some of these mock things the country that is real could be the one you are actually preforming these duties in.

She said that command doesnt like Marines standing around when and if you are not busy so if you are finished with your work to at least make it look like you are busy because they will make you re-do everything you just did with all the same exact info and stuff like that.

She said it does get pretty hectic some days what with doing MCI's and all the briefings and de-briefings, and then everything else that goes down too.

Inregards to people who say 02's dont get top secret she said if you want you can go topside and check out some pretty cool top secret stuff i didnt go into too much detail about that cause frankly i dont care about that... at least yet i dont im looking to earn my title and get my DD contract. Shes here i think till like august or something so I think I am going to try and utilize this oppertunity before me.

She is presently a Lcpl trying for Cpl, she said that you used to get promoted just for breathing but it isnt so much so like that anymore. That is all the info I have at the moment.

Thread Information