NAPS vs USNA
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAPS vs USNA

NAPS vs USNA

Hello Marines,

I am in the process of applying for admission to the USNA in Annapolis. However, I was just wondering if anyone here has applied to or dealt with the NAPS (Naval Academy Preparatory School) in Rhode Island. I was just wondering if a potential Annapolis candidate might have a better chance at admission to the Academy if they first attended or were accepted to NAPS. I really am hoping I get into the Academy. I am in the National Honor Society, I take AP courses, and I volunteer as well as participate in several sports at school, especially Lacrosse. If anyone could help out I would appreciate it. Thanks.

~Ethan

You might have to call the Academy for that one man. They could give you the best answer probably. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Conch View Post
    You might have to call the Academy for that one man. They could give you the best answer probably. Good luck.
    Thank you Sgt. I appreciate it. I really hope I can get into the Academy.

~Ethan

NAPS as far as I know is for those already in the military who need some 'extra' help to get into the Academy. One of our members here, a former Naval Aviator, is an Academy grad. When he sees this he'll be along and be able to help I'm sure.

Sgt. Lep is right. Most of the time NAPS is for those already in the military. As far as I know, like the USNA, NAPS is very competitive. I would recommend that if you are highly committed, then keep pushing and pressing on with your application to the Academy. You will have new doors open to you and you will never look back if you get in. I'm a USNA alum, and if you've got any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck dude.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    NAPS as far as I know is for those already in the military who need some 'extra' help to get into the Academy. One of our members here, a former Naval Aviator, is an Academy grad. When he sees this he'll be along and be able to help I'm sure.

I'm not sure if Sgt Lep is talking about me but I only got onto the wait list at the Academy but know a few things about it

NAPS is essentially a prep school for the Academy. You must apply to USNA, if you are lacking in an academic area or two they may and I stress the word may, offer you a slot at NAPS. While there you are considered an E-1. The course of study last 10 months. After completion you then reapply to the Academy.

Athletes in particular are found at NAPS. They have potential to play a level one NCAA sport but will have a hard time keeping up with the academic life at the Academy. One year at NAPS brings them up to speed

I knew it was one of you gentlemen....Thanks for the updated information, sir(s).

I think you might have meant me Lep, but I'm not an aviator. However, I did go to NAPS and I did graduate from the Academy.

NAPS is a prep school. Simply put, anyone who applies to the Academy and is qualified in all areas except academics (and marks appropriately on their application) will be considered for acceptance to NAPS. It does have a high concentration of prior enlisted members and athletes.

Talk to your Blue and Gold Officer. And then talk to them again. It would be a good idea to talk to them some more after that. The bottom line is that for a straight high school applicant, your Blue and Gold Officer is your single best source of information and you should develop that relationship extensively.

Good luck.

Cap'n, thanks. If I may, sir, you might want to expound on who/what a 'Blue and Gold' officer is, for those (like me ) who haven't a clue.

And I forsee this one becoming a 'sticky'...

v/r
    Sgt L

Ah, sorry. Ok, here's the link the Academy admissions page: http://www.usna.edu/admissions/

And, for those interested in NAPS: http://www.usna.edu/NAPS/

As soon as you send an application to the Naval Academy, you will be assigned a Blue and Gold Officer. This individual is the regional coordinator for applicants to the Academy to mentor them and guide them through the process, a personal liaison of sorts. The Blue and Gold Officer is usually a former or retired Naval Officer and Academy Graduate who has a specially recognized function within the admission process to guide applicants through the process efficiently. You should be able to contact the Academy Admissions office and find out who your regional B/G Officer is prior to sending an application if you wanted to ask questions beforehand.

With the Academy, it's all about having the initiative to take the first steps. They'll help you after that, but they won't take that first step for you.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Cap'n, thanks. If I may, sir, you might want to expound on who/what a 'Blue and Gold' officer is, for those (like me ) who haven't a clue.

And I forsee this one becoming a 'sticky'...

v/r
    Sgt L
    Leo when I applied they had Blue and Gray officers depending which side of the Mason Dixon line you lived on......

Capt. didn't know you were Academy, congrats. I knew the outgoing Supe Jeff Fowler quite well. Sad he left under a dark cloud

OUTstanding. Thank you both LOL...Cmdr...I'm just gonna let that one go...

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Ah, sorry. Ok, here's the link the Academy admissions page: http://www.usna.edu/admissions/

And, for those interested in NAPS: http://www.usna.edu/NAPS/

As soon as you send an application to the Naval Academy, you will be assigned a Blue and Gold Officer. This individual is the regional coordinator for applicants to the Academy to mentor them and guide them through the process, a personal liaison of sorts. The Blue and Gold Officer is usually a former or retired Naval Officer and Academy Graduate who has a specially recognized function within the admission process to guide applicants through the process efficiently. You should be able to contact the Academy Admissions office and find out who your regional B/G Officer is prior to sending an application if you wanted to ask questions beforehand.

With the Academy, it's all about having the initiative to take the first steps. They'll help you after that, but they won't take that first step for you.
    You hit that one right on the nail Captain. My Blue and Gold Officer was by far one of the most helpful people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. He was always willing to answer any question or concern I had. I think Ethan will find his B & G Officer to be his most important resource. I know I did.

Ethan,

I see you have already received a lot of good information but if you have anymore questions or anything, I just graduated from the Academy in May so I'd be glad to help you out. Take care and good luck with the application process!

Thank you ma'am. OUTstanding! By all means check out some of our threads from our soon to be female Marines. They can always use inspiration and 'moto'.

Thread Information