Shin splints at boot - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looks like an outfit for warm weather drift fishing, ifin they had cleets.

VibramŽ may have lifted Al's creative epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Im hovering around the 185 190 mark right now, id say i am a bit top heavy but not much. Im trying to steer away from buying a new 150 dollar pair of shoes, I really cant afford them and Im not sure if i can bring my own pair of go fasters with me.

I bought a pair of Asics GT2150 *I think thats the number* with some insoles to support flat feet.

It works wonders and helps with the shock of running. I paid 75+ for them and there worth the money trust me.

If I can buy 200+ dollar Jordans to just wear out I can def buy some great quality running shoes to help me run better.

Look online and go try some on at the local sport stores.

When I went to boot camp in 07 the only time I ran 3 miles was the initial and final PFT. The rest of the time we did shorter distanance high intensity training along with our daily trip to the Pit. The humps believe it or not also help with your endurance for the 3 mile run. I get shin splints if i havent ran for a while if if we are doing slow formation runs but the usually go away after you strengthen your legs back up. In boot camp your going to be sore and in pain all the time. I did the 9 mile hump back from the crucible on a sprained knee. Worst pain I ever felt but there was no way I wasnt going to comlete the final part of the crucible and get dropped to MRP in the final week.

I got out of Boot in Feb 2010. (Admin- i need my rank updated to LCPL) I dont think they will discharge you. From what I experience, you just sit in MRP. (Marine Rehabilitation Platoon) until you heal. I dont think you will have to worry about shin splints in bootcamp though. I thought the same thing as a Polee myself. Relax. Youll be running in dirt, like we did. Dirt is soft. Youll be sore all over the place to worry about shin splints anyway. Having Shin Splints isnt something to worry about at bootcamp, I promise you.

Awesome thank you sirs, I appreciate any and all help. If we arent running every day I think I can handle it, also running on the dirt should help.

I am a cross-country/track coach.

Shin splints is a generic term to describe shin pain from running. The shin pain can be, as top said, compartment syndrome, stress fracture, muscle tears, medial-tibial stress syndrome, anterior-lateral stress syndrome. It can be anterior or superior. It can be caused from poor running shoes, cheap running shoes, flat feet, heel striking, but I see mostly from kids who had never really run much, join the team, and suddenly they are using muscles and tendons that have never been used before.

I start with having them first go to a quality running shop, not Big-5 or Sports Authority, but a shop that specializes in running where they can put you on a treadmill and video tape you running to determine if you pronate or supinate or are neutral. Then they can recommend a good shoe. It will cost you $100 to $130 but it is worth it. I also recommend they pull out the inserts in these shoes and replace them with inserts like Superfeet. The running store should have them and recommend the right ones for your feet.

If your work shoes do not have enough support, consider buy a new pair. Use the Superfeet inserts in them, too. They will help.

Your running shoes, how old are they? One main contributor to shin pain is worn out running shoes. With regular running, 4 to 6 times a week, running shoes must be replaced every 3 months or 300 miles. My runners run 35 to 50 miles a week, so it does not take long to put on 300 miles.

Warm-up. Static stretching is old school. Dynamic warm-up drills are better. Here is a link to a good warm-up routine: http://www.flotrack.org/video/136119...p-mdld-phase-1

After doing drills, then do light stretching, but save the bulk of your stretching for after your run.

Also after your run, do a full set of Crazy Feet, described below. If you have any localized areas of pain, when you get home, ice it for 20 minutes. You can also take a styrofoam cup, fill it half full of water, freeze it, then peel it back to expose the ice and use that to rub on the area of pain.

Running surface. Do you run mostly on dirt trials, grass, sand, asphalt? Try to stay off cement and asphalt. The best surface is grass that is short, like a good soccer field. Trails are okay and packed rock surface is okay. Sand is okay but it will burn your muscles more because each foot strike goes down and it takes more strength to get it up.

Mileage. ARe you running every day? If so, did you build up to it? If you just went out and started running 3 miles a day, you will have pain in shins and other area. Start light, one mile a day every other day, week two 2 miles a day for four days, and build up so by week 6 you have are running 3 miles a day on some, 4 and 5 on others and doing some fartlek work.

Crazy feet. Crazy feet strengths the small muscles in the ankle and lower leg, as well as stretches. They involve walking, skipping, and hopping.

1 Walk forward up on your toes, toes pointed forward for 20 meters. Then turn around, walk back 20 meters up on toes with toes pointed in. Then 20m on toes, toes out.

2 Walk forward on heels, toes straight, 20m. Walk 20m on heels, toes pointed in, then 20m on heels, toes out.

3 Skip forward on toes, toes straight 20m, skip toes in 20m, skip toes out 20m.

When you do toes in and toes out, exaggerate it so that you are really working to point them in the requisite direction.

4 Now hop in place 25 hops on toes, toes straight. Then 25 hops, on toes, toes pointed in. Then 25 hops, on toes, toes pointed out.

That's crazy feet.

Do this stuff before boot camp and you will condition your legs to it. I may be wrong, but they don't run in boots in boot camp anymore, do they? I thought they issued them New Balance?

Good luck.

^^^Great info Marine!

Ill be using this and it is true about your leg muscles not being strong enough. My muscles use to knot up and at one time I thought it was a blood clot. The more I ran the less the muscles tightened up and now it doesn't do it anymore.

I did an IST today and felt pretty good running. Took a bunch of Alieve though before I went.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2HaveEGA843 View Post
    ^^^Great info Marine!

Ill be using this and it is true about your leg muscles not being strong enough. My muscles use to knot up and at one time I thought it was a blood clot. The more I ran the less the muscles tightened up and now it doesn't do it anymore.
    Thanks. Hey, I see you bought some Asics 2150s. Good shoe. Upper wears out too fast, though. There are some good sites for buying running shoes. I have my runners go to www.holabirdsports.com to look first because they usually have some good deals. For instance the shoe you mentioned is $57.95. That's because 2150 is last year's model, but doesn't matter, it's still a good shoe. The 2100 series has always been a good shoe with good support except I think it was 2130 or 40, wore blisters on your heel. The new one is 2160, set you back a little of 80 bucks.

I was surprised to hear that the longest run in boot camp is 3 miles. That was pretty much the standard run we did, and then once a week went 5, and a couple times longer. I don't remember what the distance of the hump over MMF was.

In cross-country, we run nothing less than 3, but easy runs are 4-6, and distance runs are 8 to 10. At camp, one of the days we will do a 28-miler. 20 miles hiking finished by an 8-mile run.

I'd recommend to any poolee who is a junior in high school, joing your school's xc team this fall. Contact the coach now. Then run distance in track in the spring. You will be so far ahead of others it will amaze you!

Asics are pretty sweet, they feel pretty good running in them. Im not sure of the actual model number but they are nice the ones I have.

Yea man I love them and they've felt great on runs. I can seriously tell the difference because when I run around in my beater shoes I feel a little knee pain because the cushion in those are DONE.

Shoes do make a hell of a difference.

Thread Information