Shin splints at boot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shin splints at boot

I was wondering if shin splints at boot is a reason for separation? Problem I am having is I work on concrete floors, the shoes i wear have no support in them, and later on when i run my shins feel like they are being murdered.

In my mind I am hoping that the shin splints will go away when my leg muscles start becoming used to running but by the time I am done my shins are hurting. With a few days of rest the pain subsides so I doubt my shins are fractured but I know at boot I wont get rest.

I stretch before I run and I take a few aspirin before I run and it helps for a bit and too a point, not really sure what else I should be doing. I certainly dont want my crappy old man body keeping me from earning my title.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    I was wondering if shin splints at boot is a reason for separation?
    Well...I had them pretty bad to during a short time of recruit training.
    I was in some pretty fair pain especially when having to run.

I just kept going and they ended up just diminishing over time and I finished boot without any lingering problems.

Your mileage may vary as that's was just my experience.

Good luck...

Shin splints or compartment syndrome?

Don't know how the pain feels differently but I had compartment syndrome while on active duty (not in bootcamp). Can tell you the pain in my shins was terrible and it would not subside so I could not run through it.

Compartment syndrome is diagnosed by inserting a probe (big needle connected to a meter) into your shins and measuring the pressure after running. It is a running injury and caused by the pressure building up between the muscles, tendons, and bones in your lower legs; pain is caused by the pressure pushing against the nerves. The Navy docs I saw said it is common with Marines (especially OCS candidates). Treatment is a faciotomy (surgical procedure where they cut into the compartments to relieve the pressure). Had faciotomy's on both my legs (big scars where they cut open the compartments) and it worked; was able to run pain-free afterwards. I'm sure GOOGLE has more info. The docs said it is mostly caused by running on hard surfaces and since you stand on a hard surface all the time I'm thinking you may be at a higher risk for the injury.

Guess the only way to find out if you have compartment syndrome is to be tested.

To answer your question; if the pain is so bad you can't complete the runs in bootcamp (especially the 3 miles PFT), then yes, you will be medically discharged (unless they do faciotomy's on recruits but that I doubt).

Good luck.

Tennessee Top....

I'd never heard of 'compartment syndrome'....I've got to get out more.
    I was just told it was chin splints and the annoyance fixed itself over time so I had no reason to think differently.

Thanks for educating us on that.

2 questions:

1. What running shoes are you using now?

2. What style of running are you doing?

I used to get shin splints till I went the minimalist route i.e. barefoot running.

while I didn't go fully barefoot, I bought a pair of vibram fivefingers.

Going barefoot changed how I ran, leading into the second question. I changed my running style to be more natural barefoot.

If you don't want to go extreme footwear like that, check out the nike free line of shoe

If you get into recruit training and cannot keep up because of the pain, you will be dropped to STB, where they have a platoon called MRB. You will be there for X-number of weeks until you heal, then you will report to a different platoon and resume training where you were when you were sent to MRP. If the pain returns you will probably be discharged.

I shouldn't say chronic compartment syndrome is a common running injury. Of my 22 year career, only saw a couple other cases besides my own and every case was resolved with surgery. The Navy surgeons I dealt with at Bethesda made it sound pretty routine.

Chances are, the OP has a case of old fashioned shin splints which can be healed simply by not running and aggravating them. Unfortunately, that is not an option at bootcamp unless you're in the MRP the Gunny talked about and not training.

First thing the OP needs to do is replace his current shoes with a pair that has sufficient arch support. Staying off the hard concrete floor is not an option for him at this point.

Secondly, I would do what's needed to make sure the shin splints are completely healed before shipping. Last thing you need to do is report to MCRD with a current case of shin splints knowing you're going to have to run on them (and keep up or get dropped). Not being able to train for the 3 miles is tough but that's better than getting sent home.

Thank you gentleman for your input, very helpful. I think before i hit the Corpsman ill have to be carted into there, as I understand it and certainly hope there isnt running literally every day.

@The Reservist I am using Asics Gel Surge for my running shoe, but ive got a pair of crappy waffle soled shoes as my everyday shoe, and I wear work shoes around the shop.

and the style of running is pretty much half jog and half run with a short walk in the beginning and end of the run. Im an old man so I am trying to work on the pacing myself for now I just recently went from 13:35 in the run to 12:03 but cant murder myself every run.

So mainly my run consists of trying to run 1.5 miles consistently also without stoppages and once i can do that im going to try adding more.

When I talk about your style of running, I mean how your body physically does the action. Depending on which part of your foot hits the ground and where it does in relation to the rest of your body could put alot of unnecessary strain on your entire body.

Check out these articles, all free of charge and sfw.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008...ootstrike.html

http://www.momentumsports.co.uk/TtRunTechnique.asp

http://www.fitness-programs-for-life...technique.html

If you want to spend some money researching on how to best run, look up the POSE technique. Alot of crossfitters use it.

I think I run on the balls of my feet not heel toe heel toe.

Are you top heavy?

Once I lost the weight I needed to lose my shins didnt hurt or tighten up like they use to. Sometimes if your to heavy on the top portion of your body you legs cant support the weight and the shock while running.

I wear heavy ass steel toes all day at work while pounding on concrete or loose rock gravel and once I got lighter the pain from that went away also.

Im hovering around the 185 190 mark right now, id say i am a bit top heavy but not much. Im trying to steer away from buying a new 150 dollar pair of shoes, I really cant afford them and Im not sure if i can bring my own pair of go fasters with me.

You can't bring running shoes with you. If you do learn how to properly run / toughen up your feet, it'll pay dividends if your either humping a pack in boots or doing a pft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

Seems like a great video, Reservist does this seem like a decent proper running style? I think I land either on my heel or the balls of my foot when i run not mid foot.

Credits
    Savings
    It looks like you are one step ahead of everyone else. Back in the day if you did not have them when you went into boot camp you sure had them when you came out.

Thread Information