Dealing With Mom - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nine times out of ten, parents who are aprehensive about sending a son or daughter off to boot camp have a complete 180 degree turnabout at graduation. They have the fear of the unknown. They have a fear that you, as you are now, will be put into harms way. They have a fear that you will be mistreated or get into trouble that they can't help you out of. Then, a little over 3 months later they see you standing there after graduation, transformed. They see that level of confidence in your eyes.

It's a natural process. She has perceptions of the military and the Marines that may not be accurate, and as a parent, she has a lifelong obligation to look out for you. Try your best to alleviate her fears, but you'll only be able to do so much before you leave for boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    Nine times out of ten, parents who are aprehensive about sending a son or daughter off to boot camp have a complete 180 degree turnabout at graduation. They have the fear of the unknown. They have a fear that you, as you are now, will be put into harms way. They have a fear that you will be mistreated or get into trouble that they can't help you out of. Then, a little over 3 months later they see you standing there after graduation, transformed. They see that level of confidence in your eyes.

It's a natural process. She has perceptions of the military and the Marines that may not be accurate, and as a parent, she has a lifelong obligation to look out for you. Try your best to alleviate her fears, but you'll only be able to do so much before you leave for boot camp.
    Nothing truer has ever been said.

This will be you:

("Can't IT me anymore!!") ("That's what you think")

And your mom will be like:

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh man, it really went south. She started telling other people in the family so they now are pressuring me. They even called my recruiter and told him to stay away. Nevertheless, I will still be a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    Oh man, it really went south. She started telling other people in the family so they now are pressuring me. They even called my recruiter and told him to stay away. Nevertheless, I will still be a Marine.
    Reminds me of this young man whose parents were Afghani. They were there during the 80s when things were heavy with the Soviet Union. Had 25 family members killed. Naturally, they didn't want him to join. They were nice people and were willing to sit down and talk to me. Everything I said fell on deaf ears though.

The pressure is typical, the difficulty arises for you when the parents tell your recruiter to stay away. At this point, if this is something you really want to do, it is on you to do it. I actually had another young man (when I picked him up from his house to go to MEPS) run out to the car with his mother chasing after him yelling "DON'T DO THIS!!!". He jumps in the car, looks at me and says "Just Drive...".

This young man was a senior in high school who had a full ride academic scholarship to study engineering at a New York state school. Scored a 99 on his ASVAB. His parents refused to speak to me until he was in boot camp. While he was in boot camp, I got several calls from his mother thanking me for everything I had done for her son. She would read me the letters he sent home (over the telephone) and continue to express her gratitude.

The point is, it is going to be difficult to deal with now because nobody in your family understands nor does it sound like they are willing to. They will come around though.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Whatever, I'm going to stop begging for support. I'm sure she'll come around one day, and realize i made a wise decision.

I have your PM...have you DEP'd in yet?

Thread Information