Poolee with a food question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Poolee with a food question

As of last week I've been DEP'd into the Marine Corps, and am leaving this October, and just today had a concern/question that doesn't strike most poolees(from my experience anyway). I'm pretty big on health and fitness, enjoy cooking healthy(whole grains, lean proteins, etc). I know for a fact that in boot or MCT you have no say and the food will be...less than perfect, which is fine/expected. However, little has been said about how things will be when I'm in my MOS school and in the fleet. My question is...how much freedom, or what kind of resources does one like myself have when it comes to choosing/preparing your own meals? I'd like to be able to continue my health-focused diet if possible. Any Marines out there have any input? It's all much appreciated. Thank you.

Well, you can get any type of food you want from the MCX or NEX... theyre the little stores on bases that sell you all your stuff tax free. Would not be a problem, just gotta pay out of pocket. Some chow halls are pretty healthy, but those ones are usually on navy or air force bases.... Marine Corps bases are not really famous for their chowhalls....

Pendleton is nice... if you like wraps and sandwiches... all day every day lol

Basically, it'll be up to you. The Marine Corps does try to do healthy stuff, but realistically, you'll need high carbs and such for most of what we do...and thus, the chow halls feed you that.

Stay away from the burgers and fries

Thread Information