Wanna be marine with some questions
Closed Thread

Wanna be marine with some questions

Hey guys ive been looking into the marines ever since my brother joined 3 years ago he in infantry saw that things have been going really great for him. so i wondered if i should join which i want to be one but my question is the jobs in the marines and what i need to engage in to do to be accepted for that job. im deeply interested in planes fighters bomber etc and im wondering what you need to do to become a pilot and how much active duty pilots get payed for bombing flying you know for example a10 thunderbolts/warthogs thats my main goal but at the same time i want to be a rifle man like any other person in marine infantry i just want to learn and i want to go to bootcamp another one of my worries since being an officer with no paris island experience being couple or more ranks higher than non officers kinda would make me feel like an a-hole btw im 15 but i want a job were theirs alot of moving and once in a life time experiences.

Just a little edit to make it short I want to fly planes for the military but at the same time learn how to shoot a rifle like any other marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you wish to fly A-10s then strive to attend the Air Force acadamy in Colorado Springs and become a pilot in the Air Force.

Your occupation says wegmans. What is that?

Here are a couple quick answers to some of your questions:

1. Every Marine is a rifleman first. Doesn't matter if you're an officer, pilot, etc. One of the things we Marines pride ourselves on is marksmanship.

2. If you want to be a pilot then you must be an officer which means graduating from a university first. By the way, I don't believe Marine pilots fly A-10's and I think I read that plane has been phased out anyway. Only pilots I ever saw flying A-10's were Army or Air Force pilots. If you want to be a bomber pilot then you'll need to join the Air Force; Marine pilots provide close combat support to the infantry units on the ground and do not fly bombers.

3. Officers still go to bootcamp but theirs is called Officer Candidate School located in Quantico, VA instead of Parris Island. Their bootcamp is geared more toward leadership skills as their main job will be leading enlisted Marines.

Normally, we suggest young people interested in the USMC just go talk to their local recruiter as they are trained to answer all your questions and can give you current literature on job opportunities/qualifications. But, they can't talk to you until you are a sophomore in highschool so you still have some time yet.

Here is what I recommend to you:

a. You can learn a lot about the Marine Corps by doing your own research (books, internet, YouTube, etc.). For example, you can GOOGLE most of what you need to know like the history/mission of the USMC, job qualifications, base locations, pay and benefits, etc.

b. Your brother can explain to you what life in the Marine Corps is like.

c. You cannot enlist without a highschool diploma so stay in school and get good grades. You will need to take an apptitude test called the ASVAB used to decide what jobs you're qualified for so getting a good education is important.

d. Problems with the law will keep you from being accepted into the military. This means anything from traffic citations to drug abuse, etc. You will also need a clean record if you want to get a job requiring a security clearance. Any mistake you make today will impact what you can do in the future.

e. The USMC has a tattoo policy. Basically, don't get one.

A few final thoughts. We Marines went to bootcamp and earned the title "Marine". We are not "guys" anymore...guys have not earned any titles yet. Besides, there are not only males on this website. Whenever you write the words Marine or Marine Corps, Marine is always capitalized (check your dictionary).

Good luck.

A10/idc

I want to fly a plane for the usmc to support ground troops f/18s and harriers are just fine to me thank you tenesse that information helped out alot

because what i was thinking of doing was dropping out get a ged now go to college and i can get a masters degree by 22 but since you said i need to stay in school to join up you saved my behind on that one thank you

Now you have me confused. People don't drop out of highschool to get a GED and then go to college.

In order to obtain your masters degree by the time you're 22 you'd have to be a full-time university student for all that time. You do not need a masters degree to be an officer/pilot.

Is it more important to you to get a masters degree or become an officer?

You didn't tell me what a wegmans is. I'd really like to know.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    wow, every word this kid types irritates me more and more...

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCneedtobe34 View Post
    because what i was thinking of doing was dropping out get a ged now go to college and i can get a masters degree by 22 but since you said i need to stay in school to join up you saved my behind on that one thank you
    I think that's a great plan. And yes you'll need an MA in at least one of the esoteric curriculums. I'd suggest Art History or Anthropology.

Flying is very boring. The aircraft pretty much fly's itself so you'll have lots of time to pursue other interests. Nothing like reading about the Masters of the Renaissance Age while you're at 30,000 ft.

The only thing that really s$cks is having to land. It's very time consuming so be sure to bring plenty of book marks with you. No sense losing your place

Stay in school by all means. And if you feel the life of an Aviator isn't for you, you can always become a Recon Marine. Not many young people want that MOS. Most are interested in supply or cooking school

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Top I think Wegman's is store.

LOL.

Grammar sux dood.

In all seriousness, if you drop out of school your chances of becoming a pilot are about the same as me becoming a half azzed astronaut. Slim zero and none.

Wegmans is a high end yuppie grocery store, one just opened near me. Haven't stopped in yet, but whatever they are selling it must be good, the parking lot is crammed full of idiot yuppies every day now for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCneedtobe34 View Post
    Hey guys ive been looking into the marines ever since my brother joined 3 years ago he in infantry saw that things have been going really great for him. so i wondered if i should join which i want to be one but my question is the jobs in the marines and what i need to engage in to do to be accepted for that job. im deeply interested in planes fighters bomber etc and im wondering what you need to do to become a pilot and how much active duty pilots get payed for bombing flying you know for example a10 thunderbolts/warthogs thats my main goal but at the same time i want to be a rifle man like any other person in marine infantry i just want to learn and i want to go to bootcamp another one of my worries since being an officer with no paris island experience being couple or more ranks higher than non officers kinda would make me feel like an a-hole btw im 15 but i want a job were theirs alot of moving and once in a life time experiences.
    Reading your post makes my head hurt, but I want to offer some guidance...

1. We're not "guys". This thread is "Ask a Marine" not "Ask the guys"

2. Punctuation, spelling, and grammar are your friends - as would be logical sentence and thought structure. Figure out what you're trying to say before you start typing, and then say it. You don't need to be a scholar to be a Marine or to post on these boards, but if you want us to make the effort to reply to your posts, then please make the effort to be clear, straight forward, and coherent.

3. Yes, you must be an officer to become a Naval Aviator -- and Marine pilots are Naval Aviators. Also, you must earn a bachelor's degree in order to become an officer. Getting a slot to Officer Candidate School (OCS) is very competitive - so top line physical fitness, good grades, and no significant run-ins with the law is pretty much required. DUIs and/or big tattoos are pretty much deal killers, as is a mediocre college GPA.

4. As a Marine second lieutenant, you will learn every job in a Marine rifle platoon and most of the jobs in a Marine rifle company. You will learn to be a rifleman, a fireteam leader, a squad leader, and a machinegunner. You'll have some exposure to mortars and rocket launchers too, if you don't go on to be an infantry officer. If you do go on to be an infantry officer, you'll learn every infantry job in an infantry battalion - and you'll know every weapon system inside out.

5. It is not necessary to go through Parris Island to get the necessary perspective to be a good officer. If you have tendencies to be an a-hole, you'll still be an a-hole whether or not you go through Parris Island, San Diego, or Quantico.

You are 15, so you have plenty of time to do your research and get a good idea of whether or not service as an officer of Marines is something that you feel you are up to attempting.

Good luck.

Sir, as always, well said, concise, and to the point.

Asked, answered, closed.

Maybe I should re-name this thread "Ask the doooodes"?

Dood

Duuuuudeeee

Duuudettesss

I grow weary.

Sigh.

Thread Information