Series of Questions from a future Marine!
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Series of Questions from a future Marine!

Where to begin?.. First i will say that i live in North Carolina and am currently 19 years old, 6',4'' tall with a bulk frame (thick bones as evident by the width of my wrists which have next to no fat) and i weigh in at just over 400lbs. Obviously i am out of shape considerably. I reckon i could afford to lose about 150 to 160lbs which of course best case scenario would put me at 240lbs. But i am convinced that at least a sizable part of my total weight is muscle. My first question is: Is my height considered too tall to join the Corps? My second question is: Even if i am considered fit with my height and frame at 260lbs, is that too heavy to join the Marines? I also need to say that i injured my right ankle a few years back when i was only 250lbs when i jumped off of a roof about 10ft off the ground by landing sideways on it (kinda like a right angle). It was only a hair line fracture but ever since, swells at a constant rate. It is always bigger than my normal left foot. Weight could be a factor of the swelling but it also aches on rare occasions. Which leads me to my third question: Is that a big issue with passing medical before enlistment? Now, my last question is sort of a broad one. Obviously i need to start training my body. I really have never excersizing my whole life as evident by the fact that 20 or 30 crunches can be difficult for me at times, even 5 full pushups are virtually impossible for me at this time. I am in pathetic shape indeed. Something i will be changing. But my question is where do i begin if i dont have the money for a gym and am unable to go to any local parks (due to gas). I do have a 25lb weight to help me along but i want to work out correctly and not screw anything up. So i ask: Where do i begin with the excersizing bit as in something smallish to start with and even some planning tips. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Well you seem to have quite a few obstacles to over come. But first. please fill in your profile, site rules.

I can answer one question for you, no you're not too tall for the Corps.

I'm sure others will be by to answer you're other questions. But I have one for you, how the hell at 19 did you get so heavy??

You're not too tall to join the Marine Corps. Go here for height and weight standards: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/weightmale.htm

As far as losing weight, the FIRST thing I suggest you do is start eating right. People don't realize how important a healthy diet is. You can lose weight simply by eating right and monitoring your calorie intake. Even if you don't "exercise", you still burn a couple thousand calories a day just by doing nothing. What exercising does is not only burn a bunch of calories at once, but raises your natural metabolic rate. That means you burn more calories thorough the day even when you're not working out.

As far as exercising goes, you need to do a lot of cardio. Running, walking, biking, etc. Anything that will get your heart rate up, and gets you sweating. I'm not saying not to lift weights, but if you do lift weights, you're going to want to do more reps with less weight. You want lean, tone muscle that will help you run or bike more. Not big bulky muscles. You don't need a gym to do cardio. There's no law against running on the sidewalk. Hell, you could probably go down to your local library and check out some work out videos. Will you feel silly doing them? Maybe. But if you stick with it you'll see results just the same as if you went to the gym.

Credits
    Savings

I'm sure others will be by to answer you're other questions. But I have one for you, how the hell at 19 did you get so heavy??
    [/quote]

Well my family does have a history of thyroid problems but i have never been diagnosed so i cannot say. I can say however that pretty much 8 years or so lack of discipline impacts it alot. Some people can eat all they want and not gain a pound and some people eat well withing the realm of normal and gain weight. Some people have to excersize at my age and some dont. I am certainly one that needs to. Thanks for the reply.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousWarrior View Post

Well my family does have a history of thyroid problems but i have never been diagnosed so i cannot say. I can say however that pretty much 8 years or so lack of discipline impacts it alot. Some people can eat all they want and not gain a pound and some people eat well withing the realm of normal and gain weight. Some people have to excersize at my age and some dont. I am certainly one that needs to. Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

Thank you for your honesty. Your max weight at your height is 226 lbs.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah i was indeed confused about the whole lean vs. bulk muscle. Appreciate you clearing that up. I do also have a 11lb weight, think that'll do? I will get right the cardio stuff for sure. As for eating, i eat normal portions but i could definitely learn to eat a larger variety of stuff... Very very helpful comment! Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    Gosh i hope 226 is possible with my build....Thank You!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousWarrior View Post
    Gosh i hope 226 is possible with my build....Thank You!
    My next to the oldest son is 6' 5". Weighs 225. So you can do it.

You don't need to join a gym to work out.

But...you DO need the personal motivation and dedication to do it regularly to the point you'll see real results.

Good luck.

Start running even if at first around the block , it don't have to be a speed thing ..just a steady pace . and build it up after you are comfortable with what you are doing ... you will be surprised how fast the wight comes off .. and watch the diet.

the Corps dose a lot of running in boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Well you seem to have quite a few obstacles to over come. But first. please fill in your profile, site rules.

I can answer one question for you, no you're not too tall for the Corps.

Its called table muscle. Usually due to not pushing away from said table and continuing to intake food of all kinds.

This guy needs to see a Recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Its called table muscle. Usually due to not pushing away from said table and continuing to intake food of all kinds.

This guy needs to see a Recruiter.
    i was wondering when a bloke like you would show up...you are right to a point but the main reason is just pure lack of exercise. You should read down a little lower next time. Stigma's are ignorant. Don't assume just because someone is out of shape that they over-eat as that is not my case. Also a recruiter might very well turn me away based on just how out of shape i am but i could be wrong and welcome any correction. Thanks for the comment anyway though!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra29er View Post
    Start running even if at first around the block , it don't have to be a speed thing ..just a steady pace . and build it up after you are comfortable with what you are doing ... you will be surprised how fast the wight comes off .. and watch the diet.

the Corps dose a lot of running in boot camp.
    The problem is that in my immediate area there is no great place to run without getting mowed down by neglecting drivers. Question though: Would running in place produce similar results? I really appreciate it! Means alot!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You don't need to join a gym to work out.

But...you DO need the personal motivation and dedication to do it regularly to the point you'll see real results.

Good luck.
    Yeah I feel ya there! I know i have what it takes as far as motivation to do it. I have never wanted anything more in my life that to join the Marines. Im not as naive as to think that it will be like movies or whatever. I just dont want to think back to this time of my life and regret that i didnt do something that i wanted to. Past generations have succeeded and i refuse to believe that i cant like most of my disgraceful generation! Also i believe that the purpose of life is to improve and the Marines is a great path to doing just that through learning discipline and the training. Bottom line, i dont think motivation is too much of an issue for me but i will definitely keep your words in mind. Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    My next to the oldest son is 6' 5". Weighs 225. So you can do it.
    Thanks!

Thread Information